Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Interesting Contract Differences

I have been a big fan of Pat Chun since I first started seeing where he placed placed his priorities and how he was setting out to achieve them.  As much as I like and respect the interim coach, I really had no qualms about Chun making a selection from the outside.  I knew he would have good reasons and would make a good choice.   When he laid out his characteristics for a successful head coach, he totally won me over.  There were the normal expected ones of "Leader, Winning Attitude" etc, but the added ones were the real difference makers: "Family Man, Father Figure, Mentor to Staff and Students" and others in that vein.  I wish I had written them down.  Anyway, he is committed to the concept that developing and graduating successful student athletes is the primary focus of the athletic staff.  This addresses and encompasses the emotional, educational, and physical growth and development of these young students who are trying to represent the University in an excellent manner while living through a grueling work/study/travel schedule.

This shows up in the contract terms for Partridge, also.  The prior contract with HWSNBN included incentives for championships, bowl games, being named coach of the year, etc., but it also included incentives for ticket sales.  At each level of season ticket sales, additional money would be earned.

The new contract with Partridge does not include anything for ticket sales.  Beyond the money for the aforementioned championships, bowl games, etc., his incentives are tied to several different measures of academic achievement for the team as a whole.  The optimal goal, of course, is graduation rates.  He is also paying for an overall 2.7 GPA.   He really believes that you need smart athletes to field a championship team.  I love it.

The other aspect of good management that this points out is that being a head coach and marketing a sports program (selling tickets) are both full time jobs that require total concentration and effort along with  good sense of accountability regarding who does what and who will be responsible for the results.  I think that we will be seeing clarity in our marketing efforts going forward.  I suspect that the internal workings have been a wee bit muddled in the past.

Man, I am so optimistic about the future of the FAU sports programs, I could just explode.
Back to the top

bb said

I have been a big fan of Pat Chun since I first started seeing where he placed placed his priorities and how he was setting out to achieve them.  As much as I like and respect the interim coach, I really had no qualms about Chun making a selection from the outside.  I knew he would have good reasons and would make a good choice.   When he laid out his characteristics for a successful head coach, he totally won me over.  There were the normal expected ones of "Leader, Winning Attitude" etc, but the added ones were the real difference makers: "Family Man, Father Figure, Mentor to Staff and Students" and others in that vein.  I wish I had written them down.  Anyway, he is committed to the concept that developing and graduating successful student athletes is the primary focus of the athletic staff.  This addresses and encompasses the emotional, educational, and physical growth and development of these young students who are trying to represent the University in an excellent manner while living through a grueling work/study/travel schedule.

This shows up in the contract terms for Partridge, also.  The prior contract with HWSNBN included incentives for championships, bowl games, being named coach of the year, etc., but it also included incentives for ticket sales.  At each level of season ticket sales, additional money would be earned.

The new contract with Partridge does not include anything for ticket sales.  Beyond the money for the aforementioned championships, bowl games, etc., his incentives are tied to several different measures of academic achievement for the team as a whole.  The optimal goal, of course, is graduation rates.  He is also paying for an overall 2.7 GPA.   He really believes that you need smart athletes to field a championship team.  I love it.

The other aspect of good management that this points out is that being a head coach and marketing a sports program (selling tickets) are both full time jobs that require total concentration and effort along with  good sense of accountability regarding who does what and who will be responsible for the results.  I think that we will be seeing clarity in our marketing efforts going forward.  I suspect that the internal workings have been a wee bit muddled in the past.

Man, I am so optimistic about the future of the FAU sports programs, I could just explode.
Posted On: Dec 19th 2013, 6:42 PM #324837

+1
Back to the top

Well said bb. You need to make more posts. Well thought out. I too felt that we should let Chun do his job. No limitations. Now I want to hear that Wright has taken the position offered. My season tickets will be renewed before the new year. My schedule for the next couple of months….football recruiting , then baseball season. FAU sports are  heading to the top.
Back to the top

Players with decent grades off the field make better players on the field because they can actually stay ON THE FIELD.

Back to the top

Bb obviously works inside fau's athletic department. Thanks for sharing the info, leaker
Back to the top

Nope, not involved with the department and not a leaker.   Just a fan.  These are just observations of the public record and just a little bit of speculation.
Back to the top

"I wish I had written them down". You even quoted him…. You listed what he said in the staff meeting last month. You were there listening to him. It's ok. No big deal. 
Back to the top

Guest said

"I wish I had written them down". You even quoted him…. You listed what he said in the staff meeting last month. You were there listening to him. It's ok. No big deal. 
Posted On: Dec 19th 2013, 8:58 PM #324850

You are inferring that "bb" lacks integrity…yet you post as an anonymous guest.
Back to the top

This is not about integrity. I'm not worried about it. It's not the name you post under, it's what you post. And it's clear as day.. People shouldn't have to go to blogs with in house info in order to glorify their own analysis. I'd rather be the person that posted under a guest name than the guy who tries to live vicariously through this blog as some news breaker. They know better.

im sure you appreciate the insight, but if we have to address this at our next staff meeting, we will. I'll go now..
Back to the top

Thanks, Tim.

He apparently shared a similar presentation with a group of OSF (Owl Scholarship Fund) members the Monday before the FIU game.  I thought that was really good.  He was providing added value to the OSF donors and getting them to understand his thinking as the same time.

Again, he has an understanding of how a support organization should work, how to show appreciation to the current members and what it takes to bring additional donors in.  He just seems to be doing a lot of things that will take us to the next level in a group of different areas.
Back to the top
Control functions: