Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Partridge aims to rebuild FAU football on foundation of honesty

Nice piece out by Dieter on Partridges "strategy" of honesty to recruit quickly, and start the rebuilding process for FAU.

"We have three opportunities to contact these kids before signing day … so we better have a detailed plan and not be shooting from the hip," Partridge said.

"What you see is what you get," Partridge said. "Give me a chance to earn your trust. I've only got a month, but I can earn that trust in a month's time."

FAU coach Charlie Partridge aims to rebuild football on foundation of honesty - Sun Sentinel
Back to the top

Great article!  Really helps one understand what kind of guy Partridge is and what he stands for. It is a night and day difference from Pelini and I hope recruits will see that. I am looking forward to the recruiting rush up to the dead and am excited to see what he can bring to FAU.
Back to the top

Rick said

Nice piece out by Dieter on Partridges "strategy" of honesty to recruit quickly, and start the rebuilding process for FAU.

"We have three opportunities to contact these kids before signing day … so we better have a detailed plan and not be shooting from the hip," Partridge said.

"What you see is what you get," Partridge said. "Give me a chance to earn your trust. I've only got a month, but I can earn that trust in a month's time."

FAU coach Charlie Partridge aims to rebuild football on foundation of honesty - Sun Sentinel
Posted On: Jan 12th 2014, 10:59 PM #326051

I wonder if FAU or a firm representing FAU wrote a desperate letter requesting an interview of CP to Dieter?
Back to the top

Tim, like they would need to? There are are a lot more FAU fans in the sun-sentinels readership area than there are FIU fans. I'm sure Dieter had to ask CP for the interview. However given that there was no love lost between Dieter and Carl, I'm not surprised that Dieter wrote such a positive article.

Back to the top

I would like to point out that Brian Wright was the one who kept the program together and prevented a crash and burn after Carl Pelinis debacle. Its because of Brian and the other assistant coaches that Charlie inherited a program capable of moving forward quickly not having to be completely rebuilt.
Back to the top

Dieter sure hasn't stroked us in the past, in fact he was so unbiased (maybe even a little negative to a low mid program like ours) when he arrived he came across a bit mean about the state of our program. He wasn't dishonest but it was a real change of pace from Ole Teddy telling us of rainbows and unicorns when we weren't recruiting.

That said, he covers FAU, we just hired a new coach, of course he's going to want an interview with him. The reason it's so positive is… that's Charlie Partridge, it's no wonder area coaches and kids love the guy, he even got Dieter to like us!
Back to the top

voss749 said

Tim, like they would need to? There are are a lot more FAU fans in the sun-sentinels readership area than there are FIU fans. I'm sure Dieter had to ask CP for the interview. However given that there was no love lost between Dieter and Carl, I'm not surprised that Dieter wrote such a positive article.

Posted On: Jan 13th 2014, 1:54 AM #326054

I was making fun of FIU.
Back to the top

Tim,

Its not like you really need to make fun of them. Its like shooting fish in a barrel.

I just remember when we were 1-11 it wasnt fun and Dieter didn't really need to expose FIU to ridicule like that. Not that it wasn't funny. If FIU were 3-9 it would be a lot funnier.
Back to the top

voss749 said

Tim,

Its not like you really need to make fun of them. Its like shooting fish in a barrel.

I just remember when we were 1-11 it wasnt fun and Dieter didn't really need to expose FIU to ridicule like that. Not that it wasn't funny. If FIU were 3-9 it would be a lot funnier.
Posted On: Jan 13th 2014, 8:53 AM #326058
Dieter didn't do anything that the Miami Herald beat writer for FIU did…he got the same exact form letter and he published it in his blog.
Back to the top

So, let me get this straight. According to this article, "FAU athletic director Patrick Chun wanted to make sure he knew FAU's next coach personally — he needed someone he could trust." The article continues by stating, "Chun knew of Partridge, but he didn't really know him. So while Chun claims that Partridge was the coach he called, Chun pursued other leads instead."

Guess this means that Chun did not know and/or trust Coach Wright - you know, the guy who broke FAU's four-year losing streak with a miraculous 6-0 run, which is the only 6-0 run FAU has had in FBS history. So Chun passes over Wright for Partridge, who was only considered because a local high school athletic director recommended him. By that logic, I should be president of the United States since my second grade teacher said I could one day be president.

So Partridge ends up getting the HC job at FAU because he's a great recruiter, who "didn't realize he had a preternatural gift for relating to people, no matter their circumstance, until he was at Pitt." Let's see, the guy wasn't great at recruiting at Drake or Eastern Illinois, but once he's at Pitt, suddenly he's a great recruiter. I'm sure the fact that he was now recruiting at an AQ school had nothing to do with his sudden "gift" of being able to recruit.

Granted, I'm always cynical on this board, but does any one else think that Chun and Partridge aren't a good fit for FAU? And by that I mean, Chun comes from Ohio State and Partridge comes from Pitt, Wisco, Arkansas, which are all schools with money, huge fan bases, years of history and traditions, great facilities, etc. It's very easy to come from Ohio State and say "I know how to build a fan base," but only sell less than 4,450 season tickets at FAU. Or to say you're a great recruiter, but only have successful recruiting classes at AQ schools.

My guess is that Chun and Partridge will both be gone by 2016. I just hope FAU's next AD & HC have proven success at non-AQ schools.
Back to the top
Control functions: