Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU’s Road to Signing Day 2014: Quarterback

Add topic

Jason Driskel

Quarterback

The Skinny: It took a while, but FAU was finally able to see a junior college transfer make an impact at quarterback. Jaquez Johnson took control of the huddle last season, and was able to use his dual-threat abilities to carry the team. Offensive coordinator Brian Wright established a three-quarterback rotation early in the season, but that quickly faded in favor of the wrecking-ball style of Johnson. Freshman Greg Hankerson showed his value as a back-up, while D.J. Juste eventually changed positions to add depth on defense.

FAU will enter spring camp with four scholarship quarterbacks on the roster, as early-signee Jason Driskel enrolled in January. It’s not clear if Juste’s move to cornerback is permanent, but for now, it’s assumed that he will give quarterback another try. With four quarterbacks in camp - three of which have already taking meaningful snaps - it doesn't appear that adding another signal caller before signing day is a priority.

The real test for Wright and new head coach Charlie Partridge will come next year in the Class of 2015. There are a handful of local prospects that FAU could start recruiting now. Boynton Beach quarterback Lamar Jackson and Dwyer quarterback Daniel Parr are options, along with Brett Kean, who used to play at University School under new assistant coach Roger Harriott.

Committed:

Jason Driskel - Hagerty (Ovideo, Fla.) - The brother of Florida quarterback Jeff Driskel, Jason Driskel pledged his services to FAU back in the summer and graduated early to enroll for the spring semester. He doesn't have the strongest arm, but what makes him fit in Wright’s offense is his size at 6-foot-2, 215 pounds. Like Jaquez Johnson and his brother, Jason Driskel (pictured) has the ability to lower his shoulder and move the chains with his legs. He will most likely redshirt, but  enrolling early for spring camp will help with his development.

Targets:

None.

Others to Watch:

Chase Litton (Wharton, Fla.); Khalil Render (South Dade, Fla.).
Back to the top

add Hialeah QB and current Syracuse verbal Alin Edouard to the list...will visit FAU
Back to the top

That's going to be a tough sell. He is very solid on Syracuse right now.
Back to the top

Andrew, what's your honest take on FAU's chance of landing Alin Edouard? Very very slim?

He already decommitted from Miami so we certainly can't use the "stay in South Florida" angle. And it's not like FAU has something facilities-wise that will wow him over Syracuse and Miami…
Back to the top

So the article I found said that UM went cold on him and he couldbt get anyone to call him back, thats why he decommitted, according to him. I would call the Syracuse commit, "soft" at best.

Here are some quotes: “I just don’t want to be left out in the cold,” Edouard said back in September, “and Syracuse showing the most love.
“Might just go to the [Cuse] and make a name for myself.”

Read more here: Hialeah's Alin Edouard wanted to commit to Miami again before committing to Syracuse | High School Sports Blog
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Andrew, what's your honest take on FAU's chance of landing Alin Edouard? Very very slim?

He already decommitted from Miami so we certainly can't use the "stay in South Florida" angle. And it's not like FAU has something facilities-wise that will wow him over Syracuse and Miami…
Posted On: Jan 17th 2014, 12:57 AM #326319

UM does not have an on campus stadium and might never have one. That would be a plus for FAU IMO. To be able to see the stadium every day and play on campus.

When I went to FAU we got a lot of kids from Miami attending. One of the reasons they chose FAU is they were far enough away from home to get away from their parents and close enough to go home on the weekends when they wanted to.  That would be an attraction to me as a HS player in Miami. I can get far enough away from the hood to stay away from those distractions but close enough for my family to see me at home games. That could be one of UMs problems through the years. Those kids don't get away from their buddies that chose the street over school.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

We just need the kid to visit Syracuse this month…he'll change his mind.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

So true Walty12. That region of NY is so nasty
 this time of year. I don't know if we are out of the running, but I hope he takes a serious look at us and what his chances of play time in a couple of years would be. He is very good. It would be a win win situation. Fingers crossed.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Posted On: Jan 17th 2014, 12:57 AM #326319

I've known Alin for a while now, dating back to when he was committed to Miami. He didn't decommit from them, rather they found another quarterback.

Brian Wright has been after Edouard since last spring, and that's why I think FAU has a small chance. That, and it's a lot easier to get admitted into FAU than it is at Syracuse.

What will also help is if Henry Bussey flips this weekend.
Back to the top

Thanks for the input!
Back to the top
Control functions: