Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: Harvard vs. FAU - 1/21/14 @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

What: Harvard (14-2 1-0 Ivy) vs FAU (6-12, 2-2 C-USA)

When: Tuesday, January 21st @ 7:00 PM

Where: FAU Arena

Crimson Team Site: Here

TV: None

Live Video: Here *FEE

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Live Stats: Here

Probable Starters:

Harvard

G Siyani Chambers 11.0 ppg
G Wesley Saunders 15.7 ppg
G Laurent Rivard 8.4 ppg
F Kyle Casey 11.9 ppg
F Steve Moundou-Missi 9.1 ppg

FAU

G Marquan Botley 8.3 ppg
G Jackson Trapp 10.3 ppg
G Pablo Bertone 18.6 ppg
F Kelvin Penn 4.6 ppg
C Justin Raffington 9.1 ppg

The series:

FAU and Harvard have met once before, when the Crimson's Keith Wright scored an impressive double-double to take down the Owls in Massachusetts. Pablo Bertone Bertone scored four points in 26 minutes, while Kelvin Penn pulled down three rebounds in four.

12/22/11 A L 51-63

Crimson at a Glance:

The Harvard Crimson roll into Boca Raton after a 16-point thrashing they put on Darthmouth last Saturday. The Crimson have been on rest for the past nine days and look to show the Owls what the Ivy league is all about.

Leading the charge is Harvard’s most potent offensive weapon guard Wesley Saunders. Although Saunders has not been active in the past two games (knee) his stats through 14 games keep him at the top of the Crimson’s scoring (15.7 ppg), steals (2.4 spg), and FG percentage (50.6%). Saunders was a key to Harvard’s loss to UCONN, and although he did not play against Dartmouth, an appearance against the Owls is a definite possibility.

Forward Kyle Casey is making his presence known in the paint. The senior leads the team in boards with 6.1 per game. Casey’s average lands him 5th in the Ivy in rebounds.

Aiding Casey in the post is Harvard’s other big man Steve Moundou-Missi. The junior has been in a slump in recent weeks averaging only 5.7 points per game in the last 8 starts, with the exception of the Dartmouth game. Moundou-Missi also leads the Crimson in blocks with 22 on the season.

Up and comer Siyani Chambers has found his niche shooting the long ball for the Crimson.  The sophomore has earned a starting role in a lineup of upperclassman. Chambers leads the squad in 3-point percentage with 41.4% beyond the arc.

Harvard has won the Ivy League regular season championship in back-to-back seasons under head coach Tommy Amaker.  Coach Amaker played point guard at Duke for Coach K, and worked under him as an assistant before taking head coaching jobs at Seton Hall and Michigan prior to landing his current gig at Harvard.

The Crimson hold an impressive 14-2 record only dropping losses to Colorado (70-62) and UCONN (61-56) both of who were ranked in the top 25 at some point this season.

FAU at a Glance:

The Owls are coming off a devastating loss to Old Dominion last Saturday in the Burrow. FAU was up double-digits at one point in the contest, though it was the squad’s lack of offense that ultimately gave the win to the Monarchs.

Turnovers plagued the Owls, and no one more than Pablo Bertone. Although Bertone finished the game with 14 points and 4 rebounds, FAU’s offensive leader has been in a sort of slump the past 5 games. The slump has not completely stopped his big play ability, as Bertone hit a late 3-point jumper to bring the game within three points.

“Pablo is so unorthodox,” said coach Mike Jarvis. “It has taken me four years to accept some of it. He makes the most difficult shots he takes, and cant seem to make the easy shot.”

Center Justin Raffington knocked his 6th consecutive double-double tying the program record, after a 16 point, 12 rebound effort. Raffington claims his progress comes with just playing more.

“I think the main thing is I got used to is playing basketball again,” said Raffington. “I didn’t play much at San Francisco and I sat out all last season, so I have sat for three years.”

Given Raffington's recent outings though, one would never have guessed that FAU’s new big man had sat for more than a game.

On the subject of FAU big men Baylor-transfer Dragan Sekelja did not play against Old Dominion. Coach Jarvis quoted back pain to Sekelja’s limited minutes against the teams win over ECU. Though not much was said about the Owls seven footer after that.

Though most of the point guard talk was on freshman Marquan Botley, we saw signs of life from the Owls other freshman guard D’Andre Johnson. The freshman finished the last two games with 17 points, 5 rebounds, 7 assists, and 2 steals. Not the greatest stat line, but Johnson’s presence was felt in a different way on the court.

Jarvis said that Johnson “Gives us energy, and a spark, whenever he is in the game good things happen.”

FAU will finish its last non-conference game against Harvard tomorrow night and head into only Conference USA contests from here on out.

Latest Line:

HU -11

Owl's Nest Prediction

Coach Amaker has the Crimson in right direction. Harvard shoots an impressive 46.3% in the field, and have been earning votes to crack the top 25. Despite the Owls impressive rebounding in recent games we think Harvard has a more experience and more weapons across their roster and will be too much in the end.

HU -12

I love dropkicks and fat guy touchdowns.

Twitter: @jakobsansom
Back to the top

This is going to be a slow and methodical @$$ kicking but still might be kinda fun to watch how Harvard plays in person
Back to the top

Back to the top

I say Pablo returns to form and gives the Owls a chance to stay in it.
Back to the top

There's a lot of action around The Burrow, but not much crowd yet.

The social media T-shirts are popular. Show that you "like" FAU Athletics and take one home.

The Harvard warm-up suits are pretty sharp.

The dance team is back, fresh off its first place (Florida) finish.

The band sounds great, as it has this season.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Tonight's Starters

Harvard

G Siyani Chambers
G Wesley Saunders
G Laurent Rivard
F Kyle Casey
F Steve Moundou-Missi

FAU

G Marquan Botley
G Jackson Trapp
G Pablo Bertone
F Kelvin Penn
C Justin Raffington

Back to the top

Harvard takes control.

Though an early turnover gives Owls the ball and Trapp turns it into some points.

Back to the top

Penn works the post and picks up 2 more for the Owls.

FAU 6  Harvard 0

Back to the top

Owls defense is looking significantly better since ODU.

Back to the top
Control functions: