Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU's Javonte Seabury and 247 Star Adjustment

Add topic

Throughout the recruiting process it seems like some recruits have had their stars downgraded on 247 and thought this might be an interesting example of that very thing.

FIU's supposedly top commit, Orlando WR Javonte Seabury, was rated a 90 (4 stars) back on July 1st - a day after he committed to FSU and nine days after he got an offer from Miami.

For whatever reason he decommits from FSU on August 31st and commits to FIU on Sept 1st. Good for them, right?

on Sept 15th, two weeks to the day that he decommitted from FSU and committed to FIU, he is downgraded from 90 to an 85 (3 stars).

Coincidence? Doubt it.

I want to say I'm not surprised but I am a little surprised because even though 247 is ex-Rivals guys, I hold it in higher esteem than Rivals and I really thought they'd be above such shenanigans.

To be fair, there may be some kind of reassessment based on grades or even injury, but do you really think that's what's happening here? Or is 247, like Rivals, contributing to the "rich get richer" philosophy after all? I guess that's the business model but I was honestly expecting more from them.

Anyway, to come back around to Seabury, his official visit to FIU was cancelled and is now back on the market. Rumor is grades. Supposedly we offered him too but it doesn't show up on 247.
Back to the top

Interesting moves huh? I wonder why grades should matter at all in rating kids on their football ability. Does it really matter how many stars you have (high or low) if you don't qualify for admissions.

And as we have just VERY recently seen up at UNC again (suppossed to be one of the VERY BEST ACADEMICALLY IN THE NATION), grades and test scores just don't seem to matter at "MANY" BigBoy programs.

Many of these BigBoy schools have "star" players who cannont read or speak a halfway intellignet and legible sentence or statement, who get put into classes that basically don't even exist except to give them passing grades and keep them eligible once they are "accepted" into say a UNC.
Back to the top

It doesn't matter if the kid has 20 offers.  If he can't get a clearance through the NCAA eligibility center, he goes nowhere…well maybe a Prep School or JUCO.  
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Interesting moves huh? I wonder why grades should matter at all in rating kids on their football ability. Does it really matter how many stars you have (high or low) if you don't qualify for admissions.

And as we have just VERY recently seen up at UNC again (suppossed to be one of the VERY BEST ACADEMICALLY IN THE NATION), grades and test scores just don't seem to matter at "MANY" BigBoy programs.

Many of these BigBoy schools have "star" players who cannont read or speak a halfway intellignet and legible sentence or statement, who get put into classes that basically don't even exist except to give them passing grades and keep them eligible once they are "accepted" into say a UNC.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2014, 11:09 AM #326826
That's what the APR assessment is for now. If the student athletes are not working towards a degree and graduating, the individual programs will suffer with lost scholarships And lost opportunities for post season play. By far most college football players will not end up in the NFL or CFL or Arena. The NCAA does not want them to waste the opportunity by making them take basket weaving courses and Home Ec for 5 years.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

A major national media outlet shafting a mid major program!? But that never happens!!!
Back to the top

Sadly way too many of these types of players are receiving degrees from UNC and such….which pisses off SOME of the UNC alums but not enough to lay the law down though, so obviously winning IS way more important up there (football AND basketball!). Just look at the UNC admins reaction to the latest whistle  blower up there!
Back to the top
Control functions: