Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Stadium to Serve as Home Site to Major League Lacrosse

Add topic

Florida Atlantic University has been named the home site for the Major League Lacrosse team, the Florida Launch. The MLL’s newest team will play all of its seven home games at FAU Stadium, 777 Glades Road, Boca Raton campus, bringing professional lacrosse back to FAU for the third consecutive year.

“On behalf of Florida Atlantic University, I am excited to have Major League Lacrosse in our stadium,” said Patrick Chun, FAU’s athletic director. “Lacrosse is a thriving sport in South Florida. Our community will rally behind our home team the Florida Launch.”

In 2012, FAU Stadium hosted the Major League Lacrosse All-Star Game and in June 2013, the stadium hosted a regular-season match between the Hamilton Nationals and the Rochester Rattlers. MLL used both events to explore the viability of an MLL club in South Florida. The Launch was announced as a new team in November 2013.

The Launch will open its season at FAU against Denver on Saturday, April 26.  Tickets for all home games will go on sale on Saturday, March 1. Season and group tickets are currently on sale at www.FloridaLaunchLacrosse.com. The season ticket package includes a potential eighth game should the Launch qualify for a home post-season game.

FAU Stadium opened in October 2011 and seats more than 29,000 fans. Built as the home field for FAU football, FAU Stadium has recently been selected to host a number of high-profile sporting events. Most recently, FAU Stadium was selected to host the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team in a match against the Russian National Team to be played on Saturday, Feb. 8.  The 2014 NCAA Women’s Soccer National Championship, as well as the Boca Raton Bowl, a nationally televised bowl game created by ESPN, will both be played at FAU Stadium in December.

Back to the top

Great news, good luck to the Launch!
Back to the top

I'm all the way up in Illinois so I don't know what's going on down there other than what I read on here. Is it safe for me to assume the stadium is turning out to be more of a blessing than the board and administration thought it would be? It appears that way from what I read. I know they use the rooms in the stadium to entertain.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

I'm all the way up in Illinois so I don't know what's going on down there other than what I read on here. Is it safe for me to assume the stadium is turning out to be more of a blessing than the board and administration thought it would be? It appears that way from what I read. I know they use the rooms in the stadium to entertain.
Posted On: Jan 31st 2014, 12:03 PM #327311

Well, I wouldn't say more than they thought it would be. From the early projections it seems like they wanted to get a lot more use out of the stadium from outside sources than they have… that is to say, they wanted to host high school championships, concerts, etc

The lacrosse deal is HUGE though. Don't get me wrong: the women's pro soccer games are great but this establishes a multi-game partnership use out of the stadium.

There's still a lot more that can be done using the stadium. I'm making a list and hoping to write about it soon.
Back to the top

They have had two high school conference championship games here, but you wouldn't have known about it unless you went to those schools or happened to be on campus that evening. Here is a clip from the second one:   

Back to the top

I would think the stadium is a big deal for Palm Beach county. Just curious though, with all the use, is natural grass the way to go? Someone pulled the plug on high schools last year because of the wear on the grass.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

does anyone know how the Florida Launch is doing in marketing for their inganural season in Major League Lacrosse?
Back to the top

First Launch game tonight at 7 pm; box office opens at 5:30.

Tickets are $20-50.

Hope they have a great turnout.

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

First Launch game tonight at 7 pm; box office opens at 5:30.

Tickets are $20-50.

Hope they have a great turnout.

Posted On: Apr 26th 2014, 2:36 PM #331124

I am curious to find out if they will sell Launch Gear at the stadium.  I contacted the Launch and offered to create Gear and partially convert my Store into a Launch Fan Shop for home games.  

They didn't give me the time of day.
Back to the top

fauowl said

I am curious to find out if they will sell Launch Gear at the stadium.  I contacted the Launch and offered to create Gear and partially convert my Store into a Launch Fan Shop for home games.  

They didn't give me the time of day.
Posted On: Apr 26th 2014, 3:01 PM #331125

Ooft. Rude. That would have been a great idea.

Hopefully someone here who is going to the game can report back on that. I'm not going (have to study for boards) otherwise I'd help you out.

Back to the top
Control functions: