Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Reconnecting to the University

Add topic

Just curious what non-Athletic events you guys have attended at FAU in the last 5-10 years?

Beyond games, coaches shows/dinners, signing day events... what events have you attended at FAU?

For instance, have you been to Homecoming events like Fall Family Fest, Timucua Pageant, 5k Fun Run.... or maybe art gallery openings, concerts, guest speakers? Or maybe even just to walk around campus and reminisce?

I just have a feeling like, beyond our sports, alumni don't attend many FAU events and I think that certainly contributes to the disconnect between alumni and the university as well as the shocking low alumni giving rate. I have a feeling like people leave here with their degree and no longer feel "part" of the campus/family anymore.

Is that the case?
Back to the top

And if you haven't been to anything….what would bring you back?

Side note, members of the Alumni Association just got an email for a networking event with Pulse (the Boca Chamber's young professionals group) at the Allianz Championship with the players of the event. If you're a golfer, this is something really cool, it's a pretty rare opportunity to have Fred Couples steal your girlfriend!  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Still go there on occasionally to walk, use the library, and check out development activities.

The rest would be athletics related events obviously.

:Big-Grin:  
Back to the top

Not really, I think I went to a comedy show, but a lot of these things it seems like they don't want alumni to go so I don't bother
Back to the top

The FAU police seem to treat any non-student on campus under 65 as a potential perp and even for the football games want to get you off campus as quickly as possible.

Back to the top

voss749 said

The FAU police seem to treat any non-student on campus under 65 as a potential perp and even for the football games want to get you off campus as quickly as possible.

Posted On: Jan 28th 2014, 9:38 AM #327148

Couldn't agree more
Back to the top

I think thats the reason the autism group moved over to henderson. The college of education was tired of having to beg the police for parking passes every month.
Back to the top

Sweethearts Dinner coming up soon! Another great alumni event to attend.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owlmart said

voss749 said

Couldn't agree more
Posted On: Jan 28th 2014, 9:53 AM #327151
Well with football games I imagine it's more about traffic control and keeping people from from partying in the parking lot all night long. They'd rather clear most people out when they have the manpower.

But otherwise I couldn't disagree more. I've literally been on campus at least 100 times since I've graduated, attended several of the mentioned events and not once was I ever, ever hassled by police.

Don't let that stop you. Unless you actually are a perp and you're up to something.

But if you just want to go back for an event that's open to the public or just want to walk around on campus to catch up, you're free to do that.

I think this underscores a good point though about possibly using FAU Alumni social media to invite people back to the events where they'd be welcome. Then they'd know which ones are "okay" to attend. I've also said for years that the Alumni Office should try to coordinate with Admissions to offer Alumni tours because if you've been away for a decade, there are a whole bunch of new buildings and such that you could be caught up on.
Back to the top

I've been to the following, I'll do my best to list the years.
  • Talon Awards: 2005 - 2011, 2013
  • Graduation, December Commencement Speaker, 2013
  • White Coat Ceremony: 2013
  • Sweethearts Dinner: 2012
  • Alumni Wine Tasting & Dinner:  2013
  • Alumni Holiday Party:  2005 - 2010, 2013
  • Pat Chun Intro @ Baldwin House:  2012
  • Numerous FAUAA Happy Hours
  • Wicked Performance 2013
  • Jersey Boys Performance 2012
  • My wife attended Book of Mormon in 2013 w/ a friend due to me being away on business.
  • FAU Make Waves on The 50 Gala, 2012
  • Saturn viewing at the Observatory

That's just a small sample.  There are plenty of opportunities for you to reconnect with the University and the more you reconnect, the more opportunities will present themselves to you.

Many of these events I began attending before I began volunteering my time back to the University and others have come about due to my involvement as well as being more social at these events.  If you are not a member of the Alumni Association, you will miss out on opportunities and if you do not attend the events you are doing a disservice to your University.

Here are some upcoming events if you are interested in reconnecting, meeting alums, staff, donors and getting more involved.

February 7th:  Sweetheart's Dinner, 7 pm, advance registration required, $75/couple association members, $100 for non members.

Thursday, March 6th:  To Be Announced but there is a very nice "40 Below" networking event.

Also, I don't think I have ever seen the FAU PD harass anyone at these events.  That makes zero sense especially since the people at these events are donating money to the school in a number of different ways.  Can they make mistakes or not direct traffic properly?  Sure.  Does parking suck for alumni events as much as when you went to school here?  Probably.  I wouldn't let an offhand comment, that in my opinion is unsubstantiated, keep you away from getting back in touch with the school.

Finally, click on the link to Check the Association Website for more details and events.

Back to the top
Control functions: