Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Jarvis Says He's Not Retiring

Add topic

Just read the S.S. article about Jarvis and FAU.  I'm no expert, but I think I know our problem.  How about the coach stop the side work and concentrate on coaching. I'm so tired of him . Faith and all. $225,000 a year. How about coach for about 16 hours a day. No books . No movies. Coach. Our kids deserve more than we are giving them.
Back to the top

It's sad that we will have to sit through another year of bad basketball. 
Back to the top

Last night was bad basketball, but I think for the year...it has been inconsistent instead of bad.  We have actually played some great ball this year at times.  We have a few incredible wins...and a few terrible losses.  I think what a lot of people miss in this last few years is that we are an Atlantic Sun conference team who keeps moving up because of football.  When we decide who will be the next coach, the funding has to increase to bring us up (in budget) to compete with the conference, or we will have the same scenario we have had since we went to Div 1 in the 90's. 

We change coaches and we change conferences, but we don't have that financial commitment from the community, the students, the alumni, or the Athletics program IMO.  I know everyone's magic button is: Just Win...and it will cure everything.  I disagree.  It helps.  It won't cure what ails this basketball program.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Last night was bad basketball, but I think for the year...it has been inconsistent instead of bad.  We have actually played some great ball this year at times.  We have a few incredible wins...and a few terrible losses.  I think what a lot of people miss in this last few years is that we are an Atlantic Sun conference team who keeps moving up because of football.  When we decide who will be the next coach, the funding has to increase to bring us up (in budget) to compete with the conference, or we will have the same scenario we have had since we went to Div 1 in the 90's. 

We change coaches and we change conferences, but we don't have that financial commitment from the community, the students, the alumni, or the Athletics program IMO.  I know everyone's magic button is: Just Win...and it will cure everything.  I disagree.  It helps.  It won't cure what ails this basketball program.
Posted On: Feb 21st 2014, 8:23 AM #328598

The financial commitment from the students is there…our athletic fees are through the roof!!!

Are you saying our miserable attrition rate with our players is due to a budgeting issue?

I hear what you are saying in that money would make things better, it always does.  But I dont think it would with this coach.  I hope Jarvis proves me wrong next season, but I firmly believe its time to make a change.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I feel like Chun thinks he's got football on the path that he wants, and he has said that basketball is our next "focus" and we'll work on getting it where we want to be.

I wonder what Jarvis buyout is. I remember from Partridges contract his last year buyout isn't bad.
Back to the top

teambeer said

I wonder what Jarvis buyout is. I remember from Partridges contract his last year buyout isn't bad.
Posted On: Feb 24th 2014, 7:35 AM #328760

The problem is unless we increase the budget for the program and the head coach I don't see us getting any better in CUSA.  That of course brings up the problem that we don't have the money to increase the budget.  

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

teambeer said

The problem is unless we increase the budget for the program and the head coach I don't see us getting any better in CUSA.  That of course brings up the problem that we don't have the money to increase the budget.
Posted On: Feb 24th 2014, 9:13 AM #328762
I really think the lack of budget is a cop out in this case.  Money is tight at a lot of programs that somehow manage to have winning seasons and make postseason appearances.  There are plenty of qualified coaches out there that would jump at the opportunity to coach this program.  Jarvis is making in the $225K range per season.  FIU hired their new coach away from Norfolk State where he was making $175K.  Sure, it would nice to be able to pay more money to a big name coach, but that is not necessarily the answer.

This program is not getting any better and it hasn't for years.  I like Mike Jarvis and think he's a nice person, but he's had 6 years and what is there to show for it?  Time for a change and I think Pat Chun is smart enough to see that.  He may have a year left on his deal, but any AD will tell you that you don't want to have a lame duck coach in charge of a program.  You either extend him or move on….and barring a miracle run through the CUSA tourney, I doubt we will be extending this staff another few years. 
Back to the top

FIU hired their new coach away from Norfolk State where he was making $175K.

How is this a good example?  It is not just the pay for the head coach, it is the budget for the program as a whole.  You can say it's a cop out but I couldn't disagree more.  Until we put money into the program we will contiue to be a mid level CUSA team at best, that's the reality of it.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

FIU hired their new coach away from Norfolk State where he was making $175K.

How is this a good example?  It is not just the pay for the head coach, it is the budget for the program as a whole.  You can say it's a cop out but I couldn't disagree more.  Until we put money into the program we will contiue to be a mid level CUSA team at best, that's the reality of it.
Posted On: Feb 24th 2014, 9:56 AM #328765

I thought the FIU example was fitting.  They don't have a large budget either (even less when you consider all the coaches that they are paying to not coach for them).  Still, they were able to attract a coach that had just taken his program to the NCAAs.  FIU hiring Evans is a perfect example that there are qualified coaches making less than we pay and who would jump at the chance to coach this team.  I mean, FIU Basketball is not an attractive job (neither are we, by the way), but they found a good young coach with HC experience on a tight budget.

Of course a bigger budget would be great, but unfortunately it is what it is.  You either let it drag you down or you make the best of what you have.  A tight budget doesn't mean FAU needs to settle for losing seasons in 5 of the past 6 years.  Lots of programs have had better results on similar or worse budgets than ours.  Everyone wishes the resources were better here, but until we can draw more fans, we'll have a small amount of money to work with.  Right now, I can't say that we are spending very wisely based on the results.  
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

dusky256fc said

teambeer said

Posted On: Feb 24th 2014, 9:13 AM #328762
I really think the lack of budget is a cop out in this case.  Money is tight at a lot of programs that somehow manage to have winning seasons and make postseason appearances.  There are plenty of qualified coaches out there that would jump at the opportunity to coach this program.  Jarvis is making in the $225K range per season.  FIU hired their new coach away from Norfolk State where he was making $175K.  Sure, it would nice to be able to pay more money to a big name coach, but that is not necessarily the answer.

This program is not getting any better and it hasn't for years.  I like Mike Jarvis and think he's a nice person, but he's had 6 years and what is there to show for it?  Time for a change and I think Pat Chun is smart enough to see that.  He may have a year left on his deal, but any AD will tell you that you don't want to have a lame duck coach in charge of a program.  You either extend him or move on….and barring a miracle run through the CUSA tourney, I doubt we will be extending this staff another few years. 
Posted On: Feb 24th 2014, 9:39 AM #328764

I don't think the budget issues are a cop out at all for long term growth of the program.  Could we win more games this year with the existing budget? Absolutely.  So for a few wins every year, we could call it a cop out, but for long term growth it is a realistic issue.  Our budget is near that of Warner Southern.  Until the budget changes we will never take the next step.  We may win a few more games and maybe even go to the dance every now and then, but we will never become a legitimate basketball program as is…IMO.  

I am not talking about a one-year fluke like Florida Gulf Coast…I want to see the program progress on a consistent basis, and that will absolutely require better facilities and more money invested in the program.

That being said, I am not advocating a new facility.  We don't need one for 1200 fans.  I am just saying if we are ever to be a legitimate basketball program many things will have to take place…
Back to the top
Control functions: