Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Potential Head Coaching Candidates to Replace Jarvis

Add topic

So, I guess it's time again for me to start a thread about potential candidates…even though ironically, I think the only time I ever got one of these right was when we hired Mike Jarvis.  I haven't even been close on the football coaches…but here it goes…

I know Dieter threw out the names McCall and Balado earlier, but I just can't see either getting the job.  I think Pat Chun sees the basketball program as too important to put in the hands of two people with relatively little experience.  Just going by the hiring of Coach Partridge, HC experience isn't a necessity, but a strong recruiting record is.  Also, I'm keeping in mind that FAU is far from a great job, but it is not a terrible one either.  The facility isn't great, but it is a CUSA head coaching job in a desirable location.  My guess is that salary will also be going up (at least slightly) from what Jarvis was making.

I've done very little research on available coaches or who the best assistants are, but how about Stan Jones from FSU?  He's been with Leonard Hamilton for years at UM and FSU so he knows the state.  He's also known as a great recruiter.  So what do you think?  Please throw out some other names as well.
Back to the top

I was thinking Eddie Gran or Brian Jenkins could be two good candidates that get us going in the right direction.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

I was thinking Eddie Gran or Brian Jenkins could be two good candidates that get us going in the right direction.
Posted On: Feb 28th 2014, 10:34 PM #329052

Haha
Back to the top

Id like to see us go after a guy like Rex Walters was (before he bailed on us). Young, hungry, good ties to the part of the country that actually has basketball players. 

Im also gonna bet that with the amount of two sport players in high schools down here, Eddie Gran could probably recruit a decent ball team! He couldnt coach em, but he could find 5 guys for us. 
Back to the top

Randy Ayers
Back to the top

fauowl said

Randy Ayers
Posted On: Mar 1st 2014, 8:38 AM #329062

Why?  Not that he would necessarily be a bad choice, but he's been in the NBA since 1997.  I doubt he'd return to college coaching for this job.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

fauowl said

Randy Ayers

Why?  Not that he would necessarily be a bad choice, but he's been in the NBA since 1997.  I doubt he'd return to college coaching for this job.
Posted On: Mar 1st 2014, 8:56 AM #329064

I also doubt he would return.  Just throwing out a name.  There is no way of knowing what would make someone want to coach basketball here.  Jarvis lived down the street so that was understandable.  Doh and Walters were looking elsewhere immediately.  Green was just plain bad at coaching IMO.  So for nearly 20 years, I haven't seen anyone just wanting to come here because we are FAU.

As I say ad nauseam, at some point we will have to show we are committed to building a basketball program and that will take more than just a coach.
Back to the top

fauowl said

fauowls44 said

fauowl said

Randy Ayers

Posted On: Mar 1st 2014, 8:56 AM #329064

I also doubt he would return.  Just throwing out a name.  There is no way of knowing what would make someone want to coach basketball here.  Jarvis lived down the street so that was understandable.  Doh and Walters were looking elsewhere immediately.  Green was just plain bad at coaching IMO.  So for nearly 20 years, I haven't seen anyone just wanting to come here because we are FAU.

As I say ad nauseam, at some point we will have to show we are committed to building a basketball program and that will take more than just a coach.
Posted On: Mar 1st 2014, 9:57 AM #329066

The basketball commitment comes after the football team becomes financially viable (i.e. naming rights, winning consistently and fans in the stands).  That will drive everything.
Back to the top

I dunno, Ive heard Chun say he feels were on track for football and basketball was his focus next...getting rid of a coach that wasnt doing what we needed seems like a step in the right direction to me. We are committed
Back to the top

This years team plays hard but is missing just a couple of pieces or they would be pretty good. THAT is the problem though, having to rebuild EVERY YEAR since so many transfer out for various reasons. THAT HAS TO END!
Back to the top
Control functions: