Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Unofficial FAU Mid-Spring Depth Chart

Charlie Partridge said Saturday after FAU’s first scrimmage of spring camp, that there was going to be some changes to the two-deep in the coming days. While no official depth chart has released - and one is expected to be released until after summer - some changes appear to have already taken place on the first and second team units.

Wednesday morning during practice, some new faces were in new places.

Above is our "unofficial mid-spring depth chart following the simulated-game and the first half of spring practices. Scroll over the field to see players aligned with the respective spots. Below is the latest with what's going on at every position.

Quarterback:

Partridge said Saturday, that the quarterback battle “rages on" and Wednesday, the competition continued. Both Jaquez Johnson and Greg Hankerson rotated with the first-team units, and each had up-and-down outings. Jason Driskel saw time with the third-team, and it looks as if the true freshman has taken a seat in this race for the starting gig.

Running back:

It isn’t clear yet if the backfield take a tailback-by-committee approach, but as for now, there appears to be three viable options in Jay Warren, Martese Jackson and Tony Moore. The rotation now looks like: Warren with the first team, with Jackson and Moore rotating in during certain situations. It should also be noted that freshmen Trey Rodriguez and Gregory Howell arrive this summer. They could factor into the mix.

Tight end:

The swiss-cheese unit of the offense, depth at tight end is slim for a team that was heavy on the double-tight sets last season. Alex Deleon is the clear starter in the group, but walk-on Michael Haroop is also in the huddle. He’s viable as a pass catcher, but is a tad undersized to be utilized as a lead blocker in the run game. Plenty of questions here.

Offensive line:

Partridge explained on Saturday, that the plan for the offensive line is to build depth this spring, and then find a viable group of starters that can mesh together by the Aug. 31st season opener at Nebraska. So far things appear to be working out. Three freshmen - Reginald Bain (LT), Antonyo Woods (LG) and Jakobi Smith (RG) - are working with the starters. Toss Mike Marasille and Vinny Davino into the mix when they return from injury next fall, and the line all of the sudden has able-bodies.

Defensive line:

FAU is looking to develop at least an eight or nine-linemen rotation, but right now, the rotation has half those numbers in camp. Trevon Coley and Trey Hendrickson figure to be starters next fall, but outside of them, it’s a lot of new faces. Defensive coordinator Roc Bellantoni praised redshirt-freshman Haiden Nagel in practice, calling him a “program type guy.” He’s starting at one of the ends, with Shalom Ogbonda at the other tackle spot. Brandin Bryant and Robinson Eugene will be healthy by the start of the season, but Bellantoni says the staff will still need to count on an incoming player to provide depth. That could be Rutgers transfer Nick Internicola, if he's cleared to play.

Linebacker:

The linebacking corps appears to be a lot more stable since when the Owls first opened camp. Robert Relf and Freedom Whitfield are working with the first team, alongside Andrae Kirk in the middle. That's the defense's best look, with walk-ons Griffin Goins and Nate Ozdemir visible on the second-team unit.  

Cornerback/Nickleback:

Cre’Von LeBlanc will be the man opposite of D’Joun Smith according to Bellantoni. He’s been pleased with LeBlanc’s athletic ability, and thinks having him just in the nickel packages isn’t enough. Reggie Brown has had a mixed spring, along with Ronnie Scott.

Safety:

It’s safe to say that Damian Parms and Chrisitan Milstead will be the starters at safety next season. They appears to be the backbone of the defense. The question is, who will back them up? Senior Marc Mauro has fallen out of favor, and was recently regulated to the third team.
Back to the top

How's Austin Bland doing?
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

How's Austin Bland doing?

Posted On: Mar 26th 2014, 9:55 PM #330315

They have him working at guard.

Personally I think he's better suited as a center, and see him there in the future. He's worked out at that position twice (last season and early this spring) and looked comfortable. But right now, the staff has Lyons with the first team, and Isaac Edwards and Shane Blair backing him up. Both those guy could factor into the starting line at other positions, so that could open a gap for Bland to move back to center and further develop.

It should be noted on that Saturday, Bland was calling out the protections (at least from my view) for the third-team line while plain RG. Usually the center handles those pre-snap duties.
Back to the top

Any thoughts or breakdown on the receivers?
Back to the top

No kalib woods on the depth chart. Has he fell out of favor? 
Back to the top

owl in training said

Any thoughts or breakdown on the receivers?
Posted On: Mar 27th 2014, 7:49 AM #330320

I forgot to add the receivers one, here is what I had written:

Wide receivers:

William Dukes continues to be the offense's top target, as the coaches have rotated bodies in different packages and formations. Lucky Whitehead figures to be in slot, but Dukes has seen time there as well, with Whitehead split outside. Jenson Stoshak has remained the third wide receiver, and he might have the strongest blocking fundamentals of the group.

Derek Moise has done nothing but rise his stock this spring, along with Marcus Cunningham. Kalib Woods has been absent from practice the past two weeks.
Back to the top

Andrew, where do you see DJ Juste fitting into the WR group?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

are you sure the linebacker depth is correct last time i checked it was David Lozandier at (sam) Andre kirk (mike) and robert relf (will).
Back to the top

Lozandier has to get the award for the biggest change of a body while at FAU. Man, he has been hitting the weights. I don't know much about him, but he looks like he could rip your head off. Huge arms.
Back to the top

yes that Lozandier kid has made a huge change since his freshmen year.He came in around 205 at safety now he's 232 at linebacker i think this year could be the year for him.He's a hard hardworker
Back to the top
Control functions: