Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

Add topic

owl2Doc said

FYI:

Project "Don't ruin the Innovation Village with the new Medicine Office building" was a success as the building site has now been moved to west of the existing College of Medicine building, which is a better fit. Kudos to FAU for making the right decision there!

(Also updated the blog entry with that info)
Posted On: Apr 15th 2014, 12:44 AM #330914

Great to hear!! That one made no sense at all.  Thanks for the info.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

FYI:

Project "Don't ruin the Innovation Village with the new Medicine Office building" was a success as the building site has now been moved to west of the existing College of Medicine building, which is a better fit. Kudos to FAU for making the right decision there!

(Also updated the blog entry with that info)
Posted On: Apr 15th 2014, 12:44 AM #330914

Ditto from Georgia, great work in pointing out a OBVIOUSlLY BAD location issue to them!
Back to the top

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

I think in about 7-9 years our University will be where UCF is now. And probably playing in the AAC with them if they don't bolt before UConn or Cincinnati 
Back to the top

In Finals Week so I can't write out a whole big thing with pictures but here's a couple tidbits from the meeting:

- First and foremost, the renderings posted were something very early done just to sell FAU on them as an architecture firm. They are NOT representative of the final design and parts of that may be abandoned completely so don't get too hung up on the pictures in the last DIEHARD blog.

- Some other renderings they threw out were showed the possibility of removing certain sections of the second floor to open up the space so students can see up/down. Imagine walking on the second floor and in certain sections the width would be half of what it is right now, with a balcony and railing to see down below. "Right now some students don't even know you can go up to the second floor."

- The meetings were surprisingly well attended, full rooms in the Alumni Center ballroom there.

- Suggestions to improve the Breezeway from student/alumni groups centered included integrating our school colors and/or the beach theme into the Breezeway, adding more color, adding more plants, adding seats, adding Wi-fi, completely renovating the bathrooms, improving lighting and disabled access to second floor, trying to force student clubs to the second floor and adding a coffee shop or something upstairs to get people up there, and the students asked more than once if the architects could do something about the raccoons - which of course they can't. "We're architects, not critter control haha."

- And of course fixing the leaks. Architect explained that the Breezeway leaks because it's not waterproof. Never was. They'd waterproof it as part of the renovation. "It's not the Breezeway's fault, it just wasn't done before."

- Faculty/staff meeting was very similar except they wanted to get students on the architecture team for this project (which isn't really feasible) and they wanted the plants to be natural, indigenous plants.

- Coach Partridge came out with Coach Harriott and explained that his mind obviously goes to selling prospective athletes on the school so he'd like to be able to walk down it with them and have the Breezeway "tell the story of FAU" through photo murals and such.

- Chic-fil-A is indeed replacing Einstein's in the Breezeway. As they say, you heard it here first.

- President Kelly wants FAU to be a Top 25 institution and he'd like to see 10-15k students living on-campus. IIRC he's instructed Dennis Crudele to look at the projects we're considering and wants to either get them done in the next five years or we're not going to do them at all. He doesn't want for FAU to be sitting on its hands.

- The Parking Garage 3 retail is on hold because the vendors have been tentative but they have not abandoned the Innovation Village project. In fact, the next Senior Class project will be a fountain for the plaza there.

I think that's all the important stuff.
Back to the top

"…and wants to either get them done in the next five years or we're not going to do them at all. He doesn't want for FAU to be sitting on its hands."

That is what I wany to hear! Welcome President Kelly! :cool:

Back to the top

How many live on campus now? 10 to 15k living on campus would be the game changer for campus life. 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

How many live on campus now?
Posted On: Apr 17th 2014, 8:43 PM #330958

Approximately 4,200.
Back to the top

4291 max capacity per fau housing
Back to the top

I hope the Chick Fil A opens before I graduate  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Let's get everything done in 5 years or not do them at all?  

Hopefully that is not a direct quote from Prez Kelly, because I don't really like those 2 options from a realistic standpoint.
Back to the top
Control functions: