Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

College bar 101 Cantina facing some heat from Boca

Add topic

Story here

Basically:

"Boca Raton police released numbers that showed there had been 98 arrests at the bar between its grand opening in June 2013 and March 17. Of those arrests, 78 were for possession of alcohol by a minor.

At Boca Raton City Hall on Tuesday night, downtown resident and businessman Mark Seigel, who lives close to the bar, asked city officials to take action

"It has assaulted our community with obnoxious music, intoxicated customers, and violent situations that have required significant police intervention," Seigel said.

Whelchel agreed with the sentiment, saying of the bar, "I don't want it to be there. Nobody up here wants it to be there."

Hopefully the City doesn't overreact here but it just underscores the pressing need to finally rubberstamp and execute the dedicated college district along 20th Street to refocus all of these kind of developments there.
Back to the top

The problem is zoning…I mean, to "permit" a business that depends on drunkenness and loud music for its mainstay right next to high dollar residential condominium and town home dwellings is just plain stupid.

Not sure which is worse - the people that thought they could buy their homes there while looking at the lay of the land commercially and thinking it would not be a future problem, or the city for giving the business the right to set up shop right next to a residential area they sanctioned.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

"It has assaulted our community with obnoxious music, intoxicated customers, and violent situations that have required significant police intervention," Seigel said.

Sounds like every college bar I've ever been to…good job, FAU. However, I agree with you guys. It's certainly not a great location for the type of business they do. That atmosphere belongs along the 20th strip.

Also, that place was not like that when I used go. Having been a gameday regular at the Gainesville location, I expected a lot and was let down by the staff and overall vibe. Glad to hear it picked up steam at least.
Back to the top

Back to the top

I'll give you that it was a bad location and they shouldn't have designed the bar in such a way that the music spilled out into the street considering the proximity to housing. Also, I'm sure there was some underage drinking going on there and they may or may not have really been trying their best to contain it.

That said, I'm pretty disappointed with this outcome. The articles liked to quote the arrest record but exactly what did they expect the bar to do about people who fight outside of the bar - provide bouncers for a 100 foot radius around the bar too?

Also, it didn't seem like many people had to complain about this bar for it to be shut down. The articles pointed out about a handful of people in the entire city of Boca Raton that seemed to have a problem with this place. Is that really all it takes… a handful of people?

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I'll give you that it was a bad location and they shouldn't have designed the bar in such a way that the music spilled out into the street considering the proximity to housing. Also, I'm sure there was some underage drinking going on there and they may or may not have really been trying their best to contain it.

That said, I'm pretty disappointed with this outcome. The articles liked to quote the arrest record but exactly what did they expect the bar to do about people who fight outside of the bar - provide bouncers for a 100 foot radius around the bar too?

Also, it didn't seem like many people had to complain about this bar for it to be shut down. The articles pointed out about a handful of people in the entire city of Boca Raton that seemed to have a problem with this place. Is that really all it takes… a handful of people?

Posted On: Apr 29th 2014, 4:34 PM #331149

From what I understand it wasn't shut down, they closed it voluntarily due to an investigation with their license.  If they were completely above board they would/could have stayed open but they made a business decision and shut it down.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

It just gives the city of Boca more reason  to develop 20th street as the go to area for Fau students. That way older crowd can take back the Mizner area
Back to the top
Control functions: