Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Former Tennessee Vols commit CJ Turman visiting this weekend

Add topic

3-Star Forward/Center:

CJ Turman
6-9, 245
Madison, GA
Morgan County High

CJ Turman to Florida Atlantic this weekend

UGA AND ALABAMA TAKE A LOOK

UGA and Alabama both had some heavy interest in another former Tennessee signee, CJ Turman, according to his AAU coach.

“But they’ve got that rule where you can’t transfer to another SEC school without having to sit out two years,” Michael Stokes told the AJC. “It’s totally unjust but it is what it is.”

“I think he’s going to visit Florida Atlantic this weekend. We’ve got a good relationship with those coaches, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he ended up at Florida Atlantic.”

Turman is a 6-8 forward from Morgan County High School.

Interesting that his AAU coach mentions that he's got a good relationship with our "coaches".  I wonder if we have hired an assistant or two that has yet to be announced.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Two years? That's brutal.

Good for us though!
Back to the top

Dieter has an article up on the Sun Sentinel website about Turman and FAU.  It sheds more light on how FAU has become the front-runner to land him.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/fau-owls/sfl-highly-ranked-basketball-prospect-cj-turman-to-visit-fau-20140501,0,7438872.story

Turns out, I was on to something with that "coaches" quote.

Turman said only that he had heard the campus is "nice," and while that's true, it more likely has to do with his high school coach, Charlemagne Gibbons, being one of new Curry's top assistant coach targets, along with former NBA point guard Eric Snow and Ron Oliver.

Seems like we may have the basketball equivalent to the Jordan Scarlett/Coach Harriott situation.  Also, if FAU could land Snow and Oliver, Curry will have assembled quite a good staff.
Back to the top

Interesting tweet by coach P today to curry: I'm hearing some amazing news about the future of our basketball program" good timing with our big visitor this weekend.

I take it that CJ doesn't have to sit out for use due to the coaching change at Tennessee, they were granted release. Will be a great impact guy for us!  
Back to the top

I've seen Coach Curry at a couple of baseball games. Never ever saw our last guy. Team players get support. I will support our basketball team this year. This was a change for the better. Can't wait to see what he can do with our kids and his incomers.
Back to the top

teambeer said

Interesting tweet by coach P today to curry: I'm hearing some amazing news about the future of our basketball program" good timing with our big visitor this weekend.

I take it that CJ doesn't have to sit out for use due to the coaching change at Tennessee, they were granted release. Will be a great impact guy for us!  
Posted On: May 3rd 2014, 6:53 PM #331237

I was fortunate enough to meet CJ today.  I will say that I am giddy thinking about he and Raffington on the court together.  Raff is legit.  If CJ can contribute a lot as a freshman, wow!
Back to the top

fauowl said

I was fortunate enough to meet CJ today.

Sounds like It's Owl Time is becoming a "mandatory" stop for everybody, from prospective coaches to prospective recruits! :Big-Grin:

That's gotta make you feel good.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

fauowl said

I was fortunate enough to meet CJ today.

Sounds like It's Owl Time is becoming a "mandatory" stop for everybody, from prospective coaches to prospective recruits! :Big-Grin:

That's gotta make you feel good.
Posted On: May 4th 2014, 12:33 AM #331243

It feels great to be a part of the process.  I haven't discussed this much but here is why The Store is important to the recruiting process:  Recruiting visits typically take place on weekends.  In years past, there would be big recruits visiting and there was no place for the recruits and their families to buy FAU merchandise.  They came for a visit and were excited about the school and could not find anywhere to buy merchandise.  It made us seem like a "small-time" school.  

Now recruiting weekends are planned out in advance with The Store in mind.  The coaches contact me in advance so I am prepared.  It is not just for Football and Men's Basketball.  We have had involvement with Volleyball, Women's Basketball, Soccer, Swimming, and Softball, etc.  We do not stock every Sport-Specific shirt, etc…we do not have the room…but when I hear there is a big Soccer recruiting weekend coming up, I can create Specific gear that has "FAU Soccer" on it and those recruits and families know they cannot find that kind of thing anywhere.

This is why you will see Coaches being very supportive and stopping in.  The Store is good for them and their business is vital to us. Everyone wins.  

Now we need to keep growing our customer base in order to help support the program  :Winking:
Back to the top

Way to go Mark!

I hope we can land this big Ga. young man! Ga. has TONS of top recruits in virtually all sports but especially in football, basketball (both sexes by the way Coaches - hint hint) baseball and softball! I would love to see other pipelines established to my alma mater from my adopted state!
Back to the top
Control functions: