Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU football "misguided"

According to this sports column in the "News Press", "FGCU should not explore football…in any way shape or form". He goes on to say,

"Football? Leave it to the rest of the state.

You've got three layers in Florida. The big boys (big schools in top conferences) — Florida, FSU, Miami, UCF, USF. The needy (schools that play football because it's part of their identity) — Bethune-Cookman, FAMU. The misguided (losing millions while not getting much benefit for their buck) — FAU and FIU"

I don't think this guy quite understands the economics and impact of our football program.

But I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you for your view of the bigger picture of FAU football: how big do you imagine it getting, say in 50 years. Do you ever see us expanding our stadium out to 65k, do you think we're doomed to be a perennial "South Florida team" where one year when we're 10-2 we fill the stadium and the next we're 2-10 and struggle to get 5,000 people in the stadium… and if that happens, is it misguided to try and build a traditional football community down here?
Back to the top

Misguided article written by one the the "haves" who love the BigBoy programs and who would still rather see a 6-6 Kentucky (with an 2-6 SEC record) over a 9-3 La. Tech or 8-4 WKU "have nots" in a Bowl game.

And am I wring or are UCF and USF AT OUR level of being in a "Group of 5" conference, NOT one of the top 5 "BigBoy" conferences and programs. Oh, and did FAU last year not kick USF's butt AT Tampa! UCF and USF DO NOT own FAU and FIU by any means!

Give the new programs time to grow and see what happens. I don't know about 65K but 50-55K at the stadium will happen in my lifetime! GO FAU!
Back to the top

With the possible change in college athletics economics, consolidation of the big boy conferences, and a more concerted  effort (collusive) of the big conferences to shut out the mid-majors...the future may not be very bright. 
Back to the top

Isn't USF still mid-major? Didn't realize they were in the big boy category.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

With the possible change in college athletics economics, consolidation of the big boy conferences, and a more concerted  effort (collusive) of the big conferences to shut out the mid-majors...the future may not be very bright. 

Posted On: May 16th 2014, 5:54 PM #331519

100 percent right. I would love for a FAU to be a program like Fresno State a winning football program solid fan base. 
It will be extremely hard for FAU to get there since the big boys want to keep separating themselves. If only we had started the program just 5 years earlier.
Back to the top

I think FAU can get there….I think the future playoffs will open up the conference stranglehold….we'll have to see how it all goes down…

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

I think FAU can get there….I think the future playoffs will open up the conference stranglehold….we'll have to see how it all goes down…
Posted On: May 21st 2014, 12:16 AM #331646

Yup, it won't stay at 4 teams for very long. Media AND the schools will want more, I think it may get up to 16 teams eventually.
Back to the top

Reminder to this writer, FAU's program is an infant and to compare them to Florida, FSU is rediculous. UCF has been around since 81 or 82 and the only school that would be relevant would be USF that started in 97. Look at what has been accomplished at this point give it a few more years. Unfortunately, Pelini was a set back and looks like the program is back on track. 
Back to the top

I'll have to agree with OC40 on this one, even with the playoff system I feel that the big conferences will try everything in their power (or their legislature buddies power) to keep schools on our level separate from their level.  With that said, I hope that we can sustain a winning record, put up some big upsets, and keep a strong fan base for the next couple decades.  If we have that, then we won't need anything from anyone else.  Just Win!

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top
Control functions: