Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU and the 2014 MLB Draft

Add topic

The 2014 MLB Draft will begin on June 5th at 7:00 PM. Austin Gomber presents a possible Day One pick and was tabbed the 80th member of Baseball America's Top 100 Draft Prospects listing.

Collectively, FAU has four players on each side of the ball in our watch list. Below are their accolades heading into Thursday's opening.

LHP Austin Gomber - Has a current mark of 14-14 with 238 K's in 244 IP. Opponent batting average of .247 overall with two complete games, and two 10 strikeout performances. Best Pitch: Fastball.

OF Tyler Rocklein - Notched 13 homers, 33 doubles, and six triples while exhibiting a career mark of .294 at the plate as an Owl. Slugging percentage averaged out at .484 and has speed on the base path for his position with 13 steals.

RHP Drew Jackson - Struck out 56 batters in 68.1 IP as the Owls' Sunday man in his first season, including a performance of nine against Notre Dame in his first start. Held opponents to a .263 average overall. Best Pitch: Slider.

RHP Kevin Alexander - Touted a 2.05 ERA in 2014, with seven saves in a new roll as closer. Opponents registered just a .209 average at the plate with no extra base hits. Overall mark of 16-8 for his career at FAU. Best Pitch: Changeup.

IF Mitch Morales - Posted three hits against nationally ranked Miami on two separate occasions. Went .301 at the plate as a sophomore, while starting in all 64 of the Owls' contests, and tying for third in team hitting. Injuries plagued junior season.

C Levi Meyer - Produced five 3RBI performances in his two years at FAU, and was 4th in total team production his junior season. Natural leader behind the plate. Set down two runners attempting steals in three separate contests.

IF Ricky Santiago - Found his way to 103 bases during his junior year, which was propelled by 20 extra base hits. Had a .983 fielding percentage in 2014, and started all 54 games at a variety of infield positions.

LHP Bo Logan - Boasted a 1.28 ERA in 2014 with a team high 27 appearances, and struck out 46 batters in 49.1 IP. Held opponents to a .178 average. Has 130 K's in 137.1 IP for his career. Best Pitch: Fastball.
Back to the top

May 5th?
Back to the top

I saw Bo throw a few times what appeared to be a circle change that broke down and away from righties. Not a pitch I'd toss to lefties, but that could develop into a devastating pitch to righties.

He gained a lot of attention in the Cal Ripken league two summers ago all the All-Star MVP and finished with the lowest ERA in the league. While I'd love to see him return to FAU for my own personal greedy reasons, I believe he may be on more radars than many think. He pitches smart. If I was going to place a darkhorse bet, I'd put my money on him.  The others I wouldn't consider dark horses as they've made some names for themselves and been in the headlines more. Bo is more of our unsung hero, and could be our equivalent of the Maryland Terps, surprising many that shouldn't really be surprised.

I'd love to see all of our senior drafted, and am hoping Rock and Levi, along with Alexander get the recognition they have earned. The 9th inning meltdowns in the conference tourneys and thus far in the NCAA tourney - well, if allowed, we could have paid for a new stadium selling Alexander.
Back to the top

mlbboca said

While I'd love to see him return to FAU for my own personal greedy reasons…
Posted On: Jun 4th 2014, 10:56 AM #331835

+1

:Big-Grin:

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Alexander joins Gomber in the St Louis organization…release via SID Brandon Goodwin:

Florida Atlantic University pitcher Kevin Alexander signed with the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday, becoming the third FAU baseball player to sign with a professional team in 2014.

Alexander, a senior from Coral Springs, earned 16 victories in his four seasons as an Owl, splitting time as both a starter and closer for FAU Head Coach John McCormack’s squad. He racked up 142 career strikeouts and recorded nine saves, seven of which came in 2014.

“I’m thrilled and excited he has the opportunity to realize his dream,” McCormack said. “It couldn’t have happened to a better person.”

In FAU’s final series, Alexander became just the sixth player in the country to record both a win and a save in the same day as the Owls topped No. 30 UAB twice on May 16.

Alexander was a five-year member of the team and served as team captain this season. He joins fellow pitcher Austin Gomber in the Cardinals’ organization. Gomber was selected in the fourth round of the 2014 MLB First-Year Player Draft earlier this month.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
Control functions: