Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Favorite FAU moment(s)

Assuming all of us on the board are alumni,  students or directly affiliated with the university, I'd like to hear all your personal stories from your time at FAU. I for one have great memories of my time as a student. I commuted from home  in the Palm Beach Gardens area to save $$$$ so I didn't get the 'true' college experience but  I did what any normal student would do in get awesome grades and be hungover half the time doing it. I miss the Night Owl/Irishman nights, crashing and partying at friends' apartments in IVA/Addison but i miss tailgating for football (and sometimes basketball) games the most. I was heavily involved in student organizations like the College Libertarians, and even had a short stint with the spirit group known as the Owl Rangers (are those guys still around?) And rushed for Phi Delt (decided I didn't want to pay for friends). Anyway, my top moment had to be the first game in the stadium. I was at a raging kegger prior to the game with some close friends (which started at 10am. LOL) and felt the energy throughout the day. It was one of the first times that I truly felt like a college student. Now that I'm starting law school at near by Nova Southeastern University, I reflect back on my time at FAU and really think of how fun it really was. I want to hear your guys memories of our awesome school!
Back to the top

Even though we lost, my vote goes to the triple-OT game versus Louisiana-Monroe in 2007 at Lockhart.

Band moved with every ensuing period, and kept playing. POURED down rain. Mud fest.

You get the drift…

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

I agree with Rick. In the loss, still one of my favorite experiences as a student. Running back and forth to each end zone during the OTs.

The ESPN basketball game was up there for sure.
Back to the top

Rick said

Even though we lost, my vote goes to the triple-OT game versus Louisiana-Monroe in 2007 at Lockhart.

Band moved with every ensuing period, and kept playing. POURED down rain. Mud fest.

You get the drift…

:Big-Grin:
Posted On: Jun 23rd 2014, 9:19 PM #332139

Nice. I think so far in the new stadium we haven't had any weather that bad aside from the Shula Bowl in 2012
Back to the top

Owlsfan4 said

I agree with Rick. In the loss, still one of my favorite experiences as a student. Running back and forth to each end zone during the OTs.

The ESPN basketball game was up there for sure.
Posted On: Jun 23rd 2014, 9:33 PM #332142

This one??

Game Thread: UALR vs FAU - 01/22/11 @ 1:00 PM - Owl's Nest

Royster's ridiculous swat at the beginning set the defensive  tone.
Back to the top

This is my number two…

Back to the top

As an alum or as a student?  Have lots of both.
Back to the top

sigep77 said

As an alum or as a student?  Have lots of both.
Posted On: Jun 23rd 2014, 10:52 PM #332151

Haven't had much as an alum since I've only been one for about a year but my fav moment as an alum would probably be the UM football game last year. Sick tailgate! 
Back to the top

Lawowl is that you Alby? lol. There are so many, and many more to come.
Back to the top

FAU vs. UAB in Birmingham, September 2010.  Walty12, TeamBeer, myself and another friend that is not on the board make the trip.

We stay in downtown BHAM which is actually pretty awesome, head over to DreamLand BBQ to pick up some tailgate food and on we go to Legend's Field.  Boy were we in for a treat.  Our friend who is not on the board is driving and he gets us lost in BHam's finest ghetto where Walty12 declares that he is moving to BHAM to sell Crown Vic's as he will make a killing and retire by the time he is 40.

Eventually we find Legend's Field and the parking lot is a pure gravel pit.  We're the first people to show out of everyone.  We set up our styro coolers and get to eating our delicious bbq.  As we gun beers we then meet BHAM's finest drug dealer.  Somehow he never gets the hint and spends the next 3 hours with us, gunning beers and telling us "I'm yo' pusha!"  This now is an ongoing joke amongst us.

As we continue to drink the massive FAU contingent of 3 other diehard fans and 12 parents arrive.  We hang out, meet Jeff Van Camp's father who has biceps the size of Andre the Giants HEAD, and roll into the game sometime later leaving our drug dealer friend to find someone new to harass for free booze.

Apparently there isn't a damn thing to do in Birmingham on a Thursday night as the entire freakin' community came out for the game.

Van Camp's father gets into an altercation with some locals and at this time Walty seems to think WE should get involved, well that was vetoed immediately.  Now some locals sitting behind us pipe up, yelling at the other locals and Van Camp's dad.  TeamBeer and I now start strategizing as to how we will take these guys out and I recommend we swing our unnamed friend like a baseball bat to clear our way out.

Now as to the game, it was back and forth, lots of fun and for the most part the locals were awesome to be with, lots of cheering and high fiving for just about everything.  Van Camp goes on to hit Lester Jean on a streak down the far sideline and he makes a catch that is just PHENOMENAL!  The only time I've seen this catch captured is in a picture in the recruit lounge in the stadium.  Jean is in full stride, fully outstretched, one arm all the way out in front of him and catches the ball one handed.  He pulls it in and legs it out for a TD if my memory serves me correctly.  Pandemonium ensues from the 23 FAU fans in attendance and Walty starts making out with our unnamed friend, yeah, it got a bit weird.

Game gets tight, UAB had an insane run by their QB that gets them into FG range with something like four seconds to go.  They line'em up, kick the ball and our MLB gets his hand on the ball and pushes it right.  More pandemonium ensues and we leave.

Later we end up at a bar where Walty gets into an altercation about Michigan, I get called a Damn Yankee and TeamBeer gets abandoned at the table for referring to our server as "the guy with all the siht in his face."  You see, our waiter had more metal in his face than a junkyard.

So much more to this trip but I'm tired of writing.  Catch Walty for all the other juicy details, like walking past a church with some locals that felt shame.
Back to the top
Control functions: