Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Center Braden Lyons Named to 2014 Rimington Trophy Preseason Watch List

Florida Atlantic University senior football player Braden Lyons has been named to the Rimington Trophy 2014 Preseason Watch List. The Rimington Trophy annually honors the most outstanding center in NCAA Division I-A college football. He was also named to the Trophy’s Spring Watch List in May.

Lyons, a sociology major, started every game for the Owls in 2013 at right tackle and is moving to the center position in 2014. As part of the offensive line that enabled FAU to shatter its season-high rushing record, Lyons received the offensive game ball honors against East Carolina University and Tulane University.

“Braden Lyons will play a new position, and at center he is really the quarterback of the offensive line,” said Charlie Partridge, FAU’s head football coach. “He works hard to make sure those around him know what to do and ensure they are working up to a high level.”

The Rimington Trophy is presented annually to the most outstanding center in the FBS. Since its inception, the Rimington Trophy has raised more than $2.5 million for the cystic fibrosis community. The 14-year-old award is overseen by the Boomer Esiason Foundation, which is committed to finding a cure for cystic fibrosis, and has raised more than $100 million for cystic fibrosis research.

Dave Rimington, the award's namesake, was a consensus All-America center at the University of Nebraska in 1981 and 1982, during which time he became the only double-winner of the Outland Trophy as the nation’s finest college interior lineman.
Back to the top

If I remember right he was a JUCO transfer.  Of all the good things Partraige is doing, it makes me nervous that he isn't recruiting JUCO to our thin DL and OL.  If Pelini did anything right it was that.

All that being said, congrats on the nomination.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

If I remember right he was a JUCO transfer.  Of all the good things Partraige is doing, it makes me nervous that he isn't recruiting JUCO to our thin DL and OL.  If Pelini did anything right it was that.

All that being said, congrats on the nomination.
Posted On: Jul 8th 2014, 3:57 PM #332413
Congrats to Braden! And yes Walty, I too wish we were still signing at least 5 JUCOS a year, ALL the BigBoys do it and we should too. Getting a player better prepared both physically and mentally to contribute or start right away. Mustafa was a JUCO O lineman too and he did a great job for the Owls!
Back to the top
Control functions: