Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Here's one GameDay tradition I'd like to see us adopt

I hung a lei on Howard's statue at the Tulane Homecoming game last year but it was gone by the end of the game. Not easy either, had to climb on base and struggle to get it over Howard's noggin! :cool: \
Security was cool though, just watched me and grined and did'nt say a word! That was nice, kinda figured I would get in trouble or even thrown out of the game, which would not have been cool as my wife was at our seats and we came a long way for the game! :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

sigep77 said

Pelini was not the only one trying to distance themselves from Howard and his contributions and traditions.
Posted On: Jul 28th 2014, 2:50 PM #332854

+1  :Winking:
Back to the top

fauowl said

sigep77 said

Pelini was not the only one trying to distance themselves from Howard and his contributions and traditions.

Posted On: Jul 28th 2014, 4:05 PM #332856

That's kind of crazy. A coach with brains instead of a huge ego would realize continuing the young traditions is the only way to get them establish and part of the culture. Dropping the new traditions for more new ones will never allow them to develop. I guess Pelini didn't care.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

It's an environmental issue. Sea turtles and other creatures eat balloons and choke.

Palm Beach Post: State law forbids the intentional release of 10 or more balloons in one day if the balloons are inflated with lighter-than-air gasses such as helium that will cause them to drift away to places such as the surface of the ocean. - See more at: Floating ocean garbage, boats endanger sea turtles | Willie's Outdoor World blog | The Palm Beach Post
Back to the top

fauowl said

sigep77 said

I don't get it. Is Partridge doing the same?
Back to the top

LawOwl said

fauowl said

sigep77 said

Posted On: Jul 29th 2014, 7:42 AM #332864

No. No complaints at all with Coach Partridge.  He has always been great to mention Howard at events. He is exactly what is right with the program.  He comes up with new things but respects the past.  

When Howard stepped down there were many folks distancing themselves from him.  Maybe it is difficult to directly follow a legend, but it was so blatant.  Pelini & Howard were never mentioned in the same sentence, and never in the same room.

I think we are headed back toward common sense.  Partridge may change a lot, but that is okay because he is showing the respect of the past…and that is what is different with this new regime.
Back to the top

fauowl said

LawOwl said

fauowl said

sigep77 said

No. No complaints at all with Coach Partridge.  He has always been great to mention Howard at events. He is exactly what is right with the program.  He comes up with new things but respects the past.  

When Howard stepped down there were many folks distancing themselves from him.  Maybe it is difficult to directly follow a legend, but it was so blatant.  Pelini & Howard were never mentioned in the same sentence, and never in the same room.

I think we are headed back toward common sense.  Partridge may change a lot, but that is okay because he is showing the respect of the past…and that is what is different with this new regime.
Posted On: Jul 29th 2014, 7:59 AM #332865

…and to add to my own comment…

I think what changed the thinking for the better…is when Brian Wright took over and immediately engaged Howard and everyone else saw that the world did not explode, and that Brian became hugely popular because of it.  

I guess with a legend leaving some think that as soon as there is a bad day, everyone will want the legend to come back and that will cause issues.  I think fans knew it was time for a change–but we certainly didn't want to see Howard kicked to the curb.

The ship has been righted. We have a great coach and a great staff…AND the legend of Howard!  It all can coexist just fine.
Back to the top

fauowl said

fauowl said

LawOwl said

fauowl said

sigep77 said

+1  

Posted On: Jul 29th 2014, 7:59 AM #332865
…and to add to my own comment…

I think what changed the thinking for the better…is when Brian Wright took over and immediately engaged Howard and everyone else saw that the world did not explode, and that Brian became hugely popular because of it.

I guess with a legend leaving some think that as soon as there is a bad day, everyone will want the legend to come back and that will cause issues.  I think fans knew it was time for a change–but we certainly didn't want to see Howard kicked to the curb.

The ship has been righted. We have a great coach and a great staff…AND the legend of Howard!  It all can coexist just fine.
Posted On: Jul 29th 2014, 8:13 AM #332866
I agree. It works when you engage with legends from the past. Coach Partridge says he learned a lot from Barry Alvarez a legend at University of Wisconsin who turned around a perninal loser and turned them into the program they are today. To bring professional programs, take a look at the Cowboys and Packers to teams who embrace their history and often invite legends of the past back. I think that Coach Partridge can be our Barry Alvarez.

Back to the top

I can't comment further but in my opinion, things are getting better but not back to normal and distance appears to be kept going forward. Partridge definitely treats Coach much better than Pelini did.
Back to the top

how about different music in between the end of the third quarter, and the start of the fourth quarter.
Back to the top
Control functions: