Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Who's coming to Wyoming?

"When you call me that, smile."

The Virginian
Owen Wister
Back to the top

The Virginian
Owen Wister
Back to the top

There are four freshmen coming in from Florida to join this year's squad:

15 Nick Smith QB 6-4 215 Fr. HS Merritt Island, Fla. (Merritt Island)
26 C.J. Jennings CB 5-10 180 Fr. HS Orlando, Fla. (Jones)
31 Chavez Pownell Jr. S 5-11 192 Fr. HS Tampa, Fla. (Jefferson)
35 Robert Priester CB 5-9 168 Fr. HS Tampa, Fla. (Robinson)

The Virginian
Owen Wister
Back to the top

DCPoke said

Here's the Football prospectus with all the depth charts, etc.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/wyo/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/prospectus/prospectus.pdf

Posted On: Aug 1st 2014, 9:17 PM #332961

Their offensive line far outweigh our D-line. We only have one D-lineman at 300 lbs.
Back to the top

Speed kills?
Back to the top

Our D line hs always been on the small size which is why if we can put the opposing O in passing situations WE get the advantage with the speed kills thing. We have to be able to slow, if not stop, the run game!
Luckily, nobody (even Bama and Nebraska) have HUGE O lines this year so it will be interesting and the LB's need to plug holes, shoot gaps and MAKE tackles - no misses!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Our D line hs always been on the small size which is why if we can put the opposing O in passing situations WE get the advantage with the speed kills thing. We have to be able to slow, if not stop, the run game!
Luckily, nobody (even Bama and Nebraska) have HUGE O lines this year so it will be interesting and the LB's need to plug holes, shoot gaps and MAKE tackles - no misses!
Posted On: Aug 2nd 2014, 7:22 AM #332968

I'm looking forward to a very competitive game.  Wyoming is completely changing its offense from a spread attack under former HC Dave Christensen to a ground and pound pro-style attack under new HC Craig Bohl.  The defense is going to a Tampa Two alignment.

The quarterback position is in flux for Wyoming. The Pokes lost a very experienced quarterback when junior Brett Smith declared for the NFL draft. His backup Jason Thompson also left to follow Christensen to Utah.  So there are five competing for the starting slot including freshman Nick Smith from Florida.  

The other big concern is the defense.  Under Christensen, Wyoming's D was dismal.  His spread offense put up big numbers, unfortunately his defense allowed more, particularly against the run.  Fortunately, under Bohl the defense is appearing to correct itself, at least that's the hope.

New head coach Craig Bohl is coming off three consecutive national FCS championships with North Dakota State.  It remains to be seen if he can translate his FCS success at this level.

The Virginian
Owen Wister
Back to the top

Coach Bohl speaks about the first scrimmage of the Cowboys.

Cowboy Tough

The Virginian
Owen Wister
Back to the top

Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop DCPoke!

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Rick said

Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop DCPoke!

:Big-Grin:
Posted On: Aug 5th 2014, 9:56 PM #333046

No problem.  I try to keep it to one thread so if you want to see it, it's here and not clog up your board with all this stuff.  I go the other way with our board.  I pick up stuff from the opponent's boards and post so that our fans have an idea of what the Owls are doing.

It's something I've always done.

The Virginian
Owen Wister
Back to the top
Control functions: