Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

IT'S OFFICIAL: FAU Stadium at Schnellenberger Field

Add topic

Full Release Here: FAU Stadium Field to be Named in Honor of Schnellenberger - Owl's Nest

The Board of Trustees voted on and approved the motion Wednesday morning. A marquee element indicating “Howard Schnellenberger Field” will be installed in the  southwest corner of the FAU Stadium adjacent to the current statue of Schnellenberger, along with two signs. Below are the details via the BOT website:

PROPOSED BOARD ACTION

Approve naming the field at FAU Stadium “Howard Schnellenberger Field.”

BACKGROUND INFORMATON

This summer an anonymous donor made a substantial donation to the stadium fund. The donor directed
that the proceeds from the gift be used to support the costs of the stadium and requested that the gift be
recognized by naming the field after Howard Schnellenberger. There are no other conditions associated
with the gift.

In accordance with University and Foundation policies concerning naming rights, the anonymous gift
provided a significant contribution to the cost of the stadium. Florida Statutes section 1004.28(5)(a)
requires the University and the Foundation to protect the identity of donors who wish to remain
anonymous.

Howard Schnellenberger is one of the most transformative coaches in college football history. He
started his career under Paul “Bear” Bryant at the University of Alabama and served as coordinator for
Don Shula and the Miami Dolphins in 1972, the only perfect season in NFL history. He then became
head football coach at four universities. His many successes as a collegiate head coach included leading
the University of Miami football team to its first national championship in 1983.

Coach Schnellenberger launched the football program at Florida Atlantic University in 1998. Under his
leadership, the Owls became the fastest program in NCAA history to register its first win over a
Division I-A opponent and the youngest program ever to receive a bowl invitation. Coach
Schnellenberger led the Owls to the NCAA Division I-AA national semifinal game and to two Division
I-A bowl game victories.

Along with his teams’ immediate successes on the field, Coach Schnellenberger tirelessly promoted the
idea of an on-campus stadium to increase support for the program, attract new students to the University,
and develop a more traditional residential campus environment on the Boca Raton campus. This goal
was a key complement to the Board of Trustees’ directive to transform the Boca Raton campus into a
first choice residential campus. In 2011 his vision was fulfilled as FAU hosted its first game in the FAU
Stadium. Coach Schnellenberger retired as head coach at the end of 2011 season.

IMPLEMENTATION PLAN/DATE

Upon approval, a marquee element indicating “Howard Schnellenberger Field” will be installed in the
southwest corner of the FAU Stadium adjacent to the current statue of Howard Schnellenberger, and two
signs indicating “Howard Schnellenberger Field” will be placed on walls adjacent to the field of play to
be displayed on FAU Football game days. The installation of these elements will be concluded in time
for a special ceremony at the first home football game on September 13, 2014.

FISCAL IMPLICATIONS

The cost of the signage and installation will be approximately $32,000. The amount of the anonymous
donation far exceeded this cost and provided a significant contribution to the overall cost of the
stadium.

Back to the top

You must of saw it too. lol. we probably hit post at the same time. you can delete my post.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

You must of saw it too. lol. we probably hit post at the same time. you can delete my post.
Posted On: Aug 20th 2014, 12:09 PM #333366

I tied to save it, time stamp difficulties!

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

So next season FAU will host Miami at Howard Schellenberger Field in the Owls 15th season of football.
Back to the top

Andrew said

So next season FAU will host Miami at Howard Schellenberger Field in the Owls 15th season of football.

Posted On: Aug 20th 2014, 12:22 PM #333368

VERY COOL ! :)
Back to the top

kinda of wish we knew who the donor was, but I can understand. It be really cool if it was Alfred Morris. I like the fact Coach Partiridge is bring back Coach Schnellenberger to talk to the current team.
Back to the top

Well there is the seed money for the Academic/Weightroom/Football Ops center
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

kinda of wish we knew who the donor was, but I can understand. It be really cool if it was Alfred Morris. I like the fact Coach Partiridge is bring back Coach Schnellenberger to talk to the current team.
Posted On: Aug 20th 2014, 12:58 PM #333372

Do we know there was even a donor?
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Do we know there was even a donor?
Posted On: Aug 20th 2014, 1:42 PM #333375

Yes, there was a donor:

This summer an anonymous donor made a substantial donation to the stadium fund. The donor directed
that the proceeds from the gift be used to support the costs of the stadium and requested that the gift be
recognized by naming the field after Howard Schnellenberger. There are no other conditions associated
with the gift.

Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Posted On: Aug 20th 2014, 12:58 PM #333372

I doubt it is Alfred…a substantial gift to name the field HS seems to be out of Alfred's budget, or at least I hope it is.  

Does this mean no corporate sponsor will be pursued for the stadium or does it mean eventually "Halliburton Stadium at Howard Schnellenberger Field?
Back to the top
Control functions: