Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU EXPO

Add topic

Somebody has been really busy with good results.  Dr. Kelly has set up an initiative to fill the stadium on two different days by creating a FAU EXPO for high school students and their parents - Palm Beach on 10/18 and Broward on 11/1.  They will attend an outdoors open house hosted by the colleges in the Admin Quad, and then with proof of attendance, they can go to the game free. Hopefully accompanied by their parents.

I saw the billboard "FAU EXPO" on 95 between Lake Worth and Boca on Friday afternoon and wondered it this was high school event I had heard about  Went home and googled it and quickly got the answer.  Check this out and don't forget look at the video:

https://expo.fau.edu/

Then, there was an oddball entry, so I checked that one out too:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://www.rpbhs.org/guidance-home/280-register-to-attend-fau-expo.html

Whoever is doing this is getting some deep coverage.  I would expect this to expand dramatically over the next 2 weeks.

Anyway, good to see.  Thought you might be interested.
Back to the top

I like that, on the job for almost six seven months, holding a expo, plus showing off our beautiful stadium trying to change the perception of the commuter college idea. Hopefully he will bring in some businesses and local leaders to expand on the 20th street idea. I like to get other opinions on this.
Back to the top

Nice stuff, hope lots of HS kid's come to check out the school AND the football game!
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I like that, on the job for almost six seven months, holding a expo, plus showing off our beautiful stadium trying to change the perception of the commuter college idea. Hopefully he will bring in some businesses and local leaders to expand on the 20th street idea. I'd like to get other opinions on this.
Posted On: Aug 24th 2014, 1:09 PM #333440
Opinions on… 20th street or the EXPO?

This EXPO is a FANTASTIC idea and I hope students take advantage of it.

Kinda curious how this works because I thought we were restricted in handing out free passes en masse like this to get people in the stadium.
Back to the top

Looks like the stadium is also a great recruiting tool for good students. A good first experience will have HS students choose FAU first rather than a back up plan. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

I'm wondering where they'll seat the HS students… in the student section or elsewhere? The student section makes the most sense since that's where they'd be if they came here and that place has the best energy plus there should be more than enough room for the couple of hundred students that show up.

Though it did talk about their parents… hmm

Don't see as much advantage of putting these students in the east stands where there aren't as many people or the corners of Hootville… those are "safe areas" for not disturbing genuine ticketholders but that just separates them from everybody else.
Back to the top

I would really be surprised if they tried to seat the high school student, their parents, and any siblings in the FAU student section.  Aside from the capacity issue, I am not sure that the students that have been in the Rat's Mouth for 3 hours will be the best representatives to mix with the parents.  Unfortuneately, I really think that there are plenty of seats available in the stadium to where current ticket holders will not be disturbed.

I have been to several "student visit weekend" games at a major university with my kids and we were never put in to the student side.  There was always an area dedicated for that purpose.

There was a question above about "free tickets".  I don't remember what we did - I think that there was an all inclusive charge for the weekend, but there is no way it covered the full price of the tickets.  Money must be coming from a different pot and transferred.
Back to the top

I forsee them marketing heavily to hs football coaches as well...their mission is not to get a few hundred there, they want to sell out the stadium. A tall order, I know, but I love the goal
Back to the top

Boynton Beach HS home page - another Expo  blurb.  Refers to free tickets to 1st 5000 sign ups.

Boynton Beach High School Home Page

Back to the top

There's a BIG push to keep PB and Broward county students home. The EXPO is tailored for them. They're hoping for thousands of students attending. We're able to offer them free tickets because under NCAA rule you can give out tickets if students attend an event. The EXPO is that event. I believe there's over 100 students already signed up and we've barely got the information out there.

This could be huge if the football team is any kind of exciting this year. If we get blown out then all these kids will walk away saying "well, it is JUST FAU…"
Back to the top
Control functions: