Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week Thread: FAU @ #2 Alabama - 09/06/14 @ 12:00 PM

Add topic

Line has moved to 40.5, I guess some others don't mind laying $$ on a spread like that! Wow.

I wouldn't be shocked if Quez and DJ are kept out but available if necessary. Bama has a lot of things to work out and we come at a great time for them. By sheer talent inequalities and the desire for the 2s to make names for themselves, I see them beating us by at least 30.
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

So, you see us losing to Wyoming?  I can understand Marshall. UAB, who knows. 
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2014, 11:28 AM #333965

I've watched (and listened via radio since I pull for Colorado St) a few Wyoming games last year. They can be a little jekyll-and-hide. I think I gave them the nod because you guys are traveling. I definitely could be wrong. Last year, they almost beat Nebraska (lost by 3), got destroyed by not the Longhorns but Texas State (HUH?  :Thinking: ) and run off their own field by Colorado State (but in all fairness, CSU is a decent team). In my mind the game against Wyoming for you guys could go either way but you guys definitely know your team better than I do. I'm just trying to make educated guesses :D

Back to the top

Wyoming will be tough, really tough. Before the season started, I predicted Wyoming to be the worse loss of the season. Now with that Nebraska game, and Quez questionable for Bama, that might not be the case.

Back to the top

Jack David Whidden III said

Wyoming will be tough, really tough. Before the season started, I predicted Wyoming to be the worse loss of the season. Now with that Nebraska game, and Quez questionable for Bama, that might not be the case.

Posted On: Sep 2nd 2014, 4:44 PM #333972

I am not confident that Wyoming will be a win, distance for travel and altitude.  But we as a fan base are delusional if we thought that Neb and Alabama weren't going to be the worse losses of the season and Wyoming was.  Not saying Wyoming won't be a tough game, but I venture to say we won't be losing 55-7.
Back to the top

It is far from a lock but our worse loss, based on what?  They lost 6 of their last 8 games last year and only won 5 total for the year.  I know of the new coach and I am a fan but it doesn't happen overnight.

What am I missing here?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I'm not sure i fully follow this argument, the only way I can see this being "the worse loss" is it being a win-able game that gets away from us, they just nearly an FCS team last week in there 17-12 win over the Montana grizzlies. There passing attack is sad, with Kirkegaard going 13-21 for 92 yards and a pick, there only notable offense was wick there #1 rushers covered 134 yards off 22 carries for 6.1 yards a carry.

What do all these numbers mean, lets take the passing game. As long as Smith is health he is a better CB than any the cowboys have had faced in there first game, this coupled with Parms locking up the secondary I don't see Kirkegaard having an easier time fighting our defense.

Moving to the ground, Wyoming's line is about 30-40 pounds lighter (per lineman) than any that we will be facing this week and the week before that, this should make it a lot harder to open holes and get the run out. They will have a 100 rusher but it will take 20-25 carries to get to it.

…I don't think they will score over 21 points on us and i see our offense doing much better than 21 points  

Back to the top

We are talking about wins and loses with absolutely no statistical facts to go on. UN and UA gives us no information as to how we will play against our peers. All we can do is guess how we will perform. As far as UTSA, they have the best OL in the conference. They developed their program fast and quietly. I have taken the   "I need to sit back , wait and see" attitude. My guess is as worthless as the next.
Back to the top

teambeer said

Line has moved to 40.5, I guess some others don't mind laying $$ on a spread like that! Wow.

I wouldn't be shocked if Quez and DJ are kept out but available if necessary. Bama has a lot of things to work out and we come at a great time for them. By sheer talent inequalities and the desire for the 2s to make names for themselves, I see them beating us by at least 30.

Posted On: Sep 2nd 2014, 1:07 PM #333967

Call me an optimist but I think the offfense was rattled in the first game but by their comments they seem to be learning from their mistakes. I still think were gonna get beat by a lot, but I dont think were gonna crumble this time 
Back to the top

A key in Alabama is to avoid falling far behind early. That happened at Nebraska, and the sky fell in. If the Owls can be competitive longer, keeping the offense on the field and the defense off the field, the score could be more respectable. One thing to remember about Nebraska: The Owls did not beat themselves; Nebraska beat them.  As for Wyoming: The Owls have the talent, size and coaching to win. A big key here is to respect the Cowboys and to respect the elevation. At 7,220 feet, War Memorial Stadium in Laramie is the highest in Division 1. Our guys need to hydrate, and not just the day before, and our coaches need to have a good rotation system ready to keep fresh guys on the field. Breath control really can be a factor.
Back to the top

If possible, the best thing to do as far as a visit to Laramie goes is to get there a few days early. :)  Athletes with their kind of conditioning can adjust very quickly. I live in an area (Colorado Springs) that is about 6500' in elevation. After moving from the Atlanta area, my son started football (high-school) up here and was acclimated within a week – though he did say the first day or two of practice was brutal. An out-of-shape adult on the other hand can take a few weeks and some a few months to acclimate. After looking over more of Wyoming and the questions they have, I think the Owls shot at winning there is 50/50 or better but we'll know more about each team after this weekend no doubt.
Back to the top
Control functions: