Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA Football: Games for Week of 09-13-14

Add topic

A Thursday night West Division showdown between teams coming off big wins over in-state foes opens this week's action, as Louisiana Tech visits North Texas.

Conference play continues on Saturday when the two league teams that have met more than any others renew their rivalry as WKU visits Middle Tennessee in the 64th matchup between schools that are located 100 miles apart.

FIU, coming off a convincing win last week, welcomes the first of two ACC schools to Miami when Pittsburgh visits.

Longtime regional rivals Ohio and Marshall will square off in Huntington, West Va.

Two matchups are on the docket at top 10 SEC schools. Southern Miss is at No. 2 Alabama, while Rice plays at No. 9 Texas A&M for the second straight season.

A pair of Saturday night games are set to air on FOX Networks: After nearly knocking off Arizona last Thursday, UTSA will visit Oklahoma State. Florida Atlantic will host Tulsa in the Owls home opener in Boca Raton.

The American Sports Network will air a doubleheader, beginning with Alabama A&M at UAB. Longtime rivals separated by an hour meet when New Mexico State comes to the Sun Bowl to face UTEP.

Old Dominion hosts Eastern Michigan to round out the action.

Thursday, September 11th

LA Tech 42  North Texas 21

Saturday, September 13th

Pittsburgh 42  FIU 25

Ohio 14  Marshall 44

Alabama A&M 14  UAB 41

Eastern Michigan 3  Old Dominion 17

Southern Miss 12  (3) Alabama 52

WKU 47  Middle Tennessee 50 3OT

Tulsa 21  Florida Atlantic 50

UTSA 13  Oklahoma State 43

New Mexico State 24  UTEP 42

Rice 10  (7) Texas A&M 38

Back to the top

Louisiana Tech looks like they can make a run for CUSA West. Beating projected SBC champs Louisiana in Lafayette is no easy task, yet the Bulldogs did so easily in one of the first big G5vsG5 shockers of the year. North Texas was picked to finish top three in the West in most preseason CUSA analyses. Winner of this game tomorrow will most likely claim that spot in the top three of the West with Rice and UTSA ahead of them, the loser will be competing with UTEP for the fourth spot. I'll jump on the Bulldog bandwagon as long as Kenneth Dixon is in the drivers seat, Louisiana Tech 24-20

Middle and WKU renew their rivalry. Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn about any of these teams. Don't like 'em, and hope we kick both their arse in the coming months. Western Kentucky 51-42 2OT.

FWIW, I think this is the first time I picked all road teams in conference games in a week. Granted, there's just two conference games, but I thought that was pretty cool.

Besides that, FIU will embarrass the conference on national TV. Pitt 45-20
Marshall plays host to one of their fiercest rivals Ohio, who got the better of the Herd last year in Athens. Don't expect that to happen twice, especially with the game in Huntington. Marshall 38-24
UAB is looking good, like really good, with both their play and their new uniforms. I can see them finishing as high as second in the East right now. Doesn't mean that it's likely, but the possibility is there. They'll win soundly. UAB 31-10
ODU hosts one of the worst teams in FBS a week after almost upsetting NC State in Raleigh. ODU will easily put away the Eagles. Old Dominion 42-24
Bama is gonna "Bama" all over Southern Miss. Alabama 48-10
UTSA was won play away from pulling the upset on Rich Rod's Wildcats (WTF WAS THAT SHOVEL PASS FOR!?!?), so close yet so far. Okie State just lost their starting QB for the season, but I expect the Pokes to be too much for the 'Runners in Stillwater. Oklahoma State 33-17
UTEP hosts their rival New Mexico State who's coming off a roller-coaster of a game in Atlanta against Georgia State. It's nice to see the Aggies get a well deserved win, but the honeymoon is over. UTEP will be looking to make a statement in front of their projected 45,000+ plans that'll be in attendance on Saturday. UTEP 31-13
Rice at Texas A&M isn't going to be pretty. Kenny Football (yes, I'm trying to make this a thing), is playing out-of-this-world football right now. Rice should keep it close early, but I'm not sure that they will. Texas A&M 38-17
Back to the top

Holy Bi-polar Batman.

North Texas, who was favored by 3.5 points, is getting manhandled by La Tech 28-7 with 4:15 to go in the third quarter .

So much for that 43-6 win over SMU last Saturday.
Back to the top

Shows how badly things are at SMU. Does June Jones leaving that program just two weeks into the season make things better or worse for the Ponies?

Yet this score shows how serious LaTech is about making a run in the West. Kenneth Dixon is arguably be the best player in the league; yes, including Rakeem Cato.
Back to the top

FINAL

LA Tech 42  North Texas 21

Louisiana Tech goes 2-1 and has an early lead atop the CUSA West. In order to have a shot at a division title in CUSA, you HAVE to win on the road.
Back to the top

HALFTIME:

Pitt 14 FIU 16

No, your eyes do not deceive you.

The Panthers actually lead 16-0 before Pitt countered with 14 straight.
Back to the top

Rick said

HALFTIME:

Pitt 14 FIU 16

No, your eyes do not deceive you.

The Panthers actually lead 16-0 before Pitt countered with 14 straight.
Posted On: Sep 13th 2014, 1:47 PM #334585

3 Pitt turnovers greatly helped!

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Tied up now. At the least I feel bad for the gamblers... no way Pitt covers now lol
Back to the top

Pitt goes up 22-16. Game has been suspended due to lightning. Pitt will attempt a PAT when the game resumes. FIU hasn't scored since the first quarter.

Let's hope that doesn't happen to us today, both the rain delay and the lack of offense after the first quarter.
Back to the top

Cyrus said

Tied up now. At the least I feel bad for the gamblers… no way Pitt covers now lol
Posted On: Sep 13th 2014, 2:24 PM #334588

I have faith that FIU will let them cover before its over….lightning delay less than 8 to go in the 3rd.
Back to the top
Control functions: