Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME DAY THREAD: Tulsa @ FAU - 09/13/14 @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

owl2Doc said

Awesome, awesome win. We did to them what the Big Boys always do to us, and it was a very satisfying feeling - nothing against Tulsa, just happy to be able to perform that well. We scored every possible way… touchdown, field goal, pick-six, safety. Just incredible.

When Greg Hankerson throws a TD, you know you're having a good night.

I was amazed that the student section got that full. I very much doubt that we can sustain the momentum (kinda hard to get excited about a game vs ODU) but it was exactly what we needed for the first game. Lot of very impressive initatives across the board: they had the different colleges competing for attendance, which is the first time I can remember them doing that, so people were walking around in ponchos that read "College of Science/Business/etc loves FAU football."

I brought a friend who had never been to a game. He was impressed by the tailgating, facilities and gameplay but he said he probably wouldn't come back because of the excessive on-field ceremonies. I know they're important to recognize our alumni/community/benefactors but it did feel like we had honored everyone in the City of Boca Raton by the end of the game.

And it was kind of funny watching the scoreboard operator completely botch the game. I think our first touchdown went from 0-0 to 9-6 before they dialed it back :D

Last but not least, I want to talk about the Howard Schnellenberger Field sign. It was so much better than what I was expecting. Kudos to those that created it. I was worried it was going to ruin what had been a very popular photo spot and obscure the FAU in the stands behind it.
Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 1:26 PM #334838

Your friend won't comeback because of excessive on field ceremonies?  I have heard it all…every school does that and they all happen during media breaks.  It doesn't slow the game down.  It's empty time…but to each their own.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

owl2Doc said

Awesome, awesome win. We did to them what the Big Boys always do to us, and it was a very satisfying feeling - nothing against Tulsa, just happy to be able to perform that well. We scored every possible way… touchdown, field goal, pick-six, safety. Just incredible.

When Greg Hankerson throws a TD, you know you're having a good night.

I was amazed that the student section got that full. I very much doubt that we can sustain the momentum (kinda hard to get excited about a game vs ODU) but it was exactly what we needed for the first game. Lot of very impressive initatives across the board: they had the different colleges competing for attendance, which is the first time I can remember them doing that, so people were walking around in ponchos that read "College of Science/Business/etc loves FAU football."

I brought a friend who had never been to a game. He was impressed by the tailgating, facilities and gameplay but he said he probably wouldn't come back because of the excessive on-field ceremonies. I know they're important to recognize our alumni/community/benefactors but it did feel like we had honored everyone in the City of Boca Raton by the end of the game.

And it was kind of funny watching the scoreboard operator completely botch the game. I think our first touchdown went from 0-0 to 9-6 before they dialed it back :D

Last but not least, I want to talk about the Howard Schnellenberger Field sign. It was so much better than what I was expecting. Kudos to those that created it. I was worried it was going to ruin what had been a very popular photo spot and obscure the FAU in the stands behind it.
Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 1:26 PM #334838

Your friend won't comeback because of excessive on field ceremonies?  I have heard it all…every school does that and they all happen during media breaks.  It doesn't slow the game down.  It's empty time…but to each their own.
Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 1:31 PM #334840

X2, and guess he doesn't got to nfl games either, they bring everyone and their brother out during breaks and halftime to honor for some reason to another lol. Not sure why that would be a reason to not attend.
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 1:31 PM #334840

Yeah, my friend doesn't have a lot of patience. He wasn't an alum or even a South Florida resident, just an NFL fan and his undergrad didn't have a football team so he's not used to that. Doesn't matter. He had a good time otherwise.

Back to the top

OwlBroker said

teambeer said

The hi-lite video is great ha ha, Jenso Sawshack is an awesome name for him  :Big-Grin:
Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 9:25 AM #334796

Link????
Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 12:25 PM #334836

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/tu/football/tu-s-bill-blankenship-on---loss-i-m/article_bc69b975-933f-5573-b423-ee8ab866be82.html#user-comment-area

Sorry, I put this right after GrayOwls post of the Tulsa coverage of the game. The local news guy in Oklahoma was having a hard time with some of our names
Back to the top

So glad to hear our local tv announcers being enthusiastic about the game! Hope that sells some tickets to the UTSA game!
Back to the top

Picture from East side.

Not bad for attendance. This was taking before halftime
Back to the top

Island_Owl88 said

Picture from East side.

Not bad for attendance. This was taking before halftime
Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 7:27 PM #334879

Very nice pic, thanks for posting it!
Back to the top

grayowl said

Wyoming lost, as expected, to Oregon, 48-14 (but covered the spread). The Cowboys had three turnovers that led to Oregon scores. But a study of the game stats shows that the Cowboys certainly did not quit fighting; they got 439 yards of offense (but gave up 556). Once Oregon got going, the sky fell in on the Cowboys – 41 unanswered points by the Ducks. After hosting FAU next Saturday in Laramie, Wyo., the Cowboys head east to play at Michigan State.
Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 9:48 AM #334804

Wyoming look good at times, but collapsed on a wide talent differential at the skill positions and speeeeeeeeed.

Wyoming game will be interesting with their OL's ability to block versus overall FAU team speed.  Wyoming game in Laramie would be a pretty big win if FAU can make it happen.  
Back to the top

Ronniehuskerron said

Wyoming game in Laramie would be a pretty big win if FAU can make it happen.  
Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 9:29 PM #334891

??? Trying to understand why…

They went 5-7 last year, no impressive wins; averaging 16 points a game this season… or is it just because it's difficult to win there in Laramie?

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Ronniehuskerron said

Wyoming game in Laramie would be a pretty big win if FAU can make it happen.  
Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 9:29 PM #334891

??? Trying to understand why…

They went 5-7 last year, no impressive wins; averaging 16 points a game this season… or is it just because it's difficult to win there in Laramie?

Posted On: Sep 14th 2014, 11:36 PM #334896

All true.   They have a coach who is a bit more fundamentally sound this year - and despite the score in the Oregon game, they have a decent defense.  They have a pretty good shot at 7 or 8 wins this year.  And Laramie is interesting - I believe it is the highest altitude of any Divison 1 stadium.  Even the best conditioned athletes will be surprised by the additonal effort, if they haven't experienced it before.
Back to the top
Control functions: