Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME DAY THREAD: FAU @ Wyoming - 09/20/14 @ 4:00 PM

Add topic

Well, it's Sunday morning in the Rocky Mountain West. The sun came up. Onward to UTSA at home. The schedule started four weeks ago, but here's another chance (and a tough one, I expect). 
Back to the top

Local Owl said

This is the behavior that will keep people from expressing their opinions freely. Going off on people or poking fun is uncalled for. Do I agree with everything OC writes, no. But he makes this site more fun . If everyone agreed , this site would be worthless. Lets take predictions for our final record now that we have four games under our belt. Remember, we only have eight games left.
Posted On: Sep 21st 2014, 11:36 AM #335322

Tim's joke doesn't bother me.
For one it wasn't that funny I mean I don't care if you if you fire shots lets just bring your "A" game next time. 
Half the reason I post his crazy stuff is to mix things I can't believe you guy's can't figure this out. 
Yea could come on here and post "Wow tough guys poor coaching end got us. The real season starts next week. Let's get'em next time.
I'd rather just not post.
The other half is I really do love FAU that much. In my 6 years of being a fan I've missed 2 home games and been to like 10 away games most as a student.
So after the game I tend to wear those emotions. I am fanatic by definition and I use this place to vent no matter crazy it sounds.

This by far was the most painful FAU loss for me in history. 1 million times worse then rice.
So I am on dark place right now. 
Back to the top

My how things have changed here…..and I use to be the one to get people all worked up!   :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Tim FAU98 said

When you kick field goals instead of touchdowns this is the result.  And this game is meaningless.  The season starts next week.  It would have been a big win, but any true success will be due to good conference play.  Don't make the loss bigger than it is.
Posted On: Sep 20th 2014, 8:01 PM #335281

Remember that this game was meaningless when we end the season at .500 and watching bowl games again instead of participating in them.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Local Owl said

This is the behavior that will keep people from expressing their opinions freely. Going off on people or poking fun is uncalled for. Do I agree with everything OC writes, no. But he makes this site more fun . If everyone agreed , this site would be worthless. Lets take predictions for our final record now that we have four games under our belt. Remember, we only have eight games left.
Posted On: Sep 21st 2014, 11:36 AM #335322

Tim's joke doesn't bother me.
For one it wasn't that funny I mean I don't care if you if you fire shots lets just bring your "A" game next time. 
Half the reason I post his crazy stuff is to mix things I can't believe you guy's can't figure this out. 
Yea could come on here and post "Wow tough guys poor coaching end got us. The real season starts next week. Let's get'em next time.
I'd rather just not post.
The other half is I really do love FAU that much. In my 6 years of being a fan I've missed 2 home games and been to like 10 away games most as a student.
So after the game I tend to wear those emotions. I am fanatic by definition and I use this place to vent no matter crazy it sounds.

This by far was the most painful FAU loss for me in history. 1 million times worse then rice.
So I am on dark place right now. 

Posted On: Sep 21st 2014, 12:47 PM #335324

This is the most coherent thing you have posted.  I am as diehard and care about it as much as you…since the inception of the program I have missed 2 home games.  To be completely honest this wasn't the worse loss ever.  The Middle TN game hail mary loss was worse in my opinion, the Slippery Rock game rates higher being the first game ever.  

I have no problem with you being critical of the team especially when deserved.  But bring up points for your argument.  To say fire the coach after his first game is ridiculous or after any loss.  Why were the coaches so great last week, you made ZERO post.  Talk about where he went wrong with his coaching and where he needs to improve.  We all know he blew the last two minutes of the game.  But very few people don't make mistakes in their jobs.  If he's good, he will learn from it.  The reality is if he is awful as you think he is, he's here for 3 years minimum and most likely for the duration of his contract.  Any organization that has as much turnover as we have had, 3 head coaches in 3 years, we are going to have repeated growing pains.  I am sorry you HATE that I have a positive spin about the rest of the season, I am self employed and that's the way I have to be.  But the bottom line is if we are successful in conference play we are going to be where we want to be at the end of the season.  Of course nothing is guaranteed.  This team has shown enough that they are capable of competing, hopefully these hard lumps in the first 4 games will be something they will grow from. Coaches and players.  Any game you score 5 times with only one touchdown we can't be upset if we lose.  To me, that's poor coaching AND poor player implementation.

And to insult every one on here like we don't care is wrong.  We are the most diehard of the diehard.  You weren't around in 2001 when no ONE was talking about FAU football.  Listening to the games on a crappy AM signal that barely made it to to Central Broward let alone Boca Raton.  We have come a long way.  Being on board for 6 years you have only witnessed the demise, you never got to experience some of the great things  this program has done.  I understand your pessimism.  I still believe in Charlie, and it will probably take until sometime next season where I give up on him.  He doesn't have his guys in there yet.  He has a bunch of guys that are from the other guy you hate, so why should he be successful if he only has players from someone you thought was awful?  
Back to the top

sigep77 said

Tim FAU98 said

When you kick field goals instead of touchdowns this is the result.  And this game is meaningless.  The season starts next week.  It would have been a big win, but any true success will be due to good conference play.  Don't make the loss bigger than it is.
Posted On: Sep 20th 2014, 8:01 PM #335281

Remember that this game was meaningless when we end the season at .500 and watching bowl games again instead of participating in them.
Posted On: Sep 21st 2014, 1:44 PM #335327

It's meaningless if we take care of conference play.  No more room for error.
Back to the top

The monetary cost of this loss could be huge. Meaningless is the wrong word. I know what you meant, but this loss may come back to haunt us big time. OC, keep doing what you do. I love the S--- stirrer. Livens things up.
Back to the top

No game is meaningless. I want to win them all I don't care if we play the Seahawks.
That fact is Charlie goofed the end of that game like I have never seen a coach do in a game.
1st when you got the ball back there was about 2 min left and Wyoming had 2 time out. If you count the knee time and play clock we could have run it down to 35 sec. Before the FG so 30 after.
You also have figure out kicker had put every kickoff well I to the endzone.
So Wyoming would have been at the 25 with no time outs. Needing to score a touchdown. I'll take those odds.
The 2nd issue and the one that has been bad filing me for the last 20 hours was the fact after Wyoming got to out 2 why didn't we let them score. Why let them run the clock down and kick a FG let them score go up 24-19 and give Quez a min 1:30 one to out to make somthing happen.
I was confused why they were trying to score any ways if I was coach Wyoming I would have knees the ball at the 2 and kicked it.

You guys can call it growing pains but in my life of watching college football a lot of these coaching mistakes don't go away.

I hope Ken ask some tough questions on Mon. He usually sifts balls them up for the coach.
I want t flat out why didn't you let them score.
Back to the top

That MTSU Hail Mary on national tv was an epic gutshot…this loss was a close second.

OC I agree that those play calls are not the right ones, but hindsight is just that. I can imagine that things are happening at an insanely rapid pace on the sidelines and the opportunity to sleep on a few plays and make suggestions isn't afforded to these guys. 

I 100% agree we should've killed clock and kicked a FG. But I also think CP would argue that is what they were doing. Quez doesn't have a rep of coughing it up, we ran a really vanilla play, we probably
would've followed it up with 2 more just like it and then kicked a FG. The percentages of us fumbling there are really low.

When it comes to the defensive stand on the other end, you could argue that our D played 10x better than our offense and putting us down a TD with 1:30 left, with the way we weren't able to put points up may have been a death sentence so they figured we could go for a stop n strip instead. I was screaming to let them score myself, but this is the explanation that helped me sleep last night 

These are bang bang calls and the first for CP as HC. He'd used his get out of jail free card with me now, learn from em and don't make em again. Plenty of great coaches have calls they wish they could have back. 
Back to the top

If we didn't give up the 88-yard play immediately following the fumble, we probably wouldn't even be talking about the fumble.  It wasn't just the fumble that lost the game IMO.
Back to the top
Control functions: