Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Game Week Thread: UTSA @ FAU - 09/27/14 @ 5:00 PM

Add topic

The Matchup: UTSA (1-2) vs. Florida Atlantic (1-3)

Roadrunner Team Site:

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Here

When: Saturday, September 27th, 5:00 PM

Where: FAU Stadium

Weather: Current Conditions @ FAU Stadium

TV: Time Warner Cable - Regional Only

Live Video: FAU Stream - * Fee

The Series: First meeting.

Ticket Info: 1-866-FAU-OWLS

Visitor's Info: Things to Do In Boca Raton, FL

Opening Line: FAU +4.5

Latest Line: Here
Back to the top

Evening guys!   Up front, I am a UTSA fan and no, I'm not coming here to throw smack about the finish of the Wyoming game.  I feel your pain on that one…

From a game standpoint I'm not sure what to expect.  Y'all are a very tough read since you have played a killer schedule before this past weekend.  We started hot and then lost one we should not have with Arizona followed by being steam-rolled by OSU.  Our defense is strong which is to our advantage, but our offense has not shown that it can consistently put up a lot of points.  Your offense is solid and the passing game worries me the most (our secondary/deep ball coverage is where I get nervous).  So this could be very tight, or a blow-out for either side (I know, kind of a duh statement).  I'm obviously not the X's and O's guy, but I'm sure Digi or one of our other expert analysts will drop in shortly to say hi and give a deeper insight into the matchup.

My wife and I will be flying into Boca later this week.  My first time in the area and for my wife, a return to her grade school days, so a little home coming of sorts (though a LONG time ago)…  We have a few things planned and I wanted to see what you would recommend that we see from an FAU campus standpoint.  We are traving to all of the games and trying to take in some of the different university culture and history.

We are also into tailgating and normally host a number of the player's parents and family.  I've tried to get a feel for the what and where for setting up but I have not found much oustide of the few PDF's the university puts out and an old thread on this board from a few years ago.  So any information you can share would be appreciated.  We won't be doing anything fancy but looking to setup a tent, chairs, tables and drinks.  No grilling so cold food or pizza… Just wanting to setup something to sit around, talk with some of the families making the long trek to Florida (some are driving all the way there) and mingle with y'all.

Anyway, thanks for any info and I look forward to what should be a great game this weekend.

david
Back to the top

Rick, the things to do in Boca link above is broken, just sends back to the home page.

Welcome David. No idea what to expect from us to be honest, we looked like an offensive juggernaught against Tulsa and then could only kick field goals against Wyoming.

These players are coming off the hardest loss in their time at FAU so it's a coin flip on how they react. I am hoping for the "pent up anger 63-3 blowout" of course but we'll see. We saw last week that a first year head coach can make some mistakes, so we'll see this week if he can rally the troops and get them focused.

If you're grabbing some subs before the game there are 3 places right by campus that are worth checking out, Everyone has an opinion on which is best, but they are 620 Subs, LaSpadas, and v&s deli. Get your grub from one of them before heading to the tailgate.

Who are the players to watch on the Roadrunners?
Back to the top

dmfdavid said

Evening guys!
Posted On: Sep 21st 2014, 11:47 PM #335343

Welcome to The Nest, glad to have you and hope that you will have a great trip to Boca Raton!  :)

Be sure to bring your rain gear…things have been dicey lately and look to continue on into the weekend - unfortunately.

Back to the top

teambeer said

Rick, the things to do in Boca link above is broken, just sends back to the home page.
Posted On: Sep 22nd 2014, 7:56 AM #335344

How about now?
Back to the top

Back to the top

teambeer said

Welcome David. No idea what to expect from us to be honest, we looked like an offensive juggernaught against Tulsa and then could only kick field goals against Wyoming.

These players are coming off the hardest loss in their time at FAU so it's a coin flip on how they react. I am hoping for the "pent up anger 63-3 blowout" of course but we'll see. We saw last week that a first year head coach can make some mistakes, so we'll see this week if he can rally the troops and get them focused.

If you're grabbing some subs before the game there are 3 places right by campus that are worth checking out, Everyone has an opinion on which is best, but they are 620 Subs, LaSpadas, and v&s deli. Get your grub from one of them before heading to the tailgate.

Goto LaSpadas…I never understood the fascination of 620 Subs other than they used to support FAU..don't know anything about v&s deli.
Back to the top

Plenty of food chatter here:

Favorite food places in Boca - Owl's Nest
Back to the top

teambeer said

Thanks for the welcome.  Subs are always an easy thing to do for a remote tailgate.  And better than the pizza option IMO.  

As for players to watch:  On offense, Jarveon Williams is probably our best back with speed and agility.  You will also see him in a lot of motion and taking just about as many passes as runs.  Glasco is not as fast and loves to run up the middle.  He is tough and when we go into more of a power run offensive, he takes on most of our heavy lifting.  Carter is slated to be our starting QB, though I would not be suprised if they roll out our freshman Bogenschutz, who played the entire second half against OSU (8-14 for 80 yards and a 24 yd td run).  Carter is more comfortable in the pocket whereas Bogenschutz is more of a true dual-threat QB.  You will see us do a lot of pre-snap motion and shifts.  We'll run jet sweeps and a lot of bubble screens and under patterns.  Rarely will we snap from under center.  Additionally you will see mass substitutions on both offense and defense almost on every play.  

On defense we run mostly the 4-2-5.  Our D-Line is big with 6'-6'3 300+ across the front.  Our leader woudl be Mabry and you'll hear his named called a number of times.  Look for Singletary and Brooks coming in on the blitz from the ends.  Our secondary is up for debate.  Definitely better than last year, but the deep ball would be our biggest weakness.  

If y'all get moving on offense with some deep passes, be prepared to see us shift into more of a prevent look where we will give up the under routes (2-5 yards) in order to avoid the big play.  This is how we played most of the game against Arizona and OSU due to their speed.  The result is you give up a lot of short yardage plays and hope to get into a third and long to shut down the drive.  I'm not familiar with the speed of your receivers, so not sure if this will come into play as much.  but if you do beat us a few times early, my money would be on this type of defensive shift.

The big thing that we have going for us this year is that we are in our fourth year, which means that we are very senior heavy (37) with a number of them being 4-year starters.  We returned 21 starters from last years squad.  So our depth is good and we have a number of players that are interchangable.  Next year will probably be somewhat painful :)

david
Back to the top

Rick said

dmfdavid said

Evening guys!
Posted On: Sep 21st 2014, 11:47 PM #335343

Welcome to The Nest, glad to have you and hope that you will have a great trip to Boca Raton!  :)

Be sure to bring your rain gear…things have been dicey lately and look to continue on into the weekend - unfortunately.

Posted On: Sep 22nd 2014, 7:59 AM #335345

Hey Rick.. I hear ya… We have had rain at 2 of our 3 tailgates this year.  Luckily we have not had rain during the games so far…
Back to the top
Control functions: