Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA Football: Games for Week of 10-04-14

Add topic

All 13 Conference USA teams are in action this week, with five league games and three non-conference contests on the schedule.

The action begins with the annual Shula Bowl battle between Florida Atlantic and FIU Thursday night in Miami (7 p.m. EDT on FSN). Both teams posted C-USA wins in their openers on Saturday, with Florida Atlantic rallying to beat UTSA and FIU using big plays on offense and defense to take a game at UAB.

Marshall puts its unbeaten (4-0) record on the line at new East Division rival Old Dominion on Saturday. Its the conference opener for the Thundering Herd, who have topped the 40-point mark in each of their first four outings.

Southern Miss visits Middle Tennessee to open a tripleheader on ASN. the Blue Raiders are the only C-USA team sitting with a 2-0 mark in conference play.

West Division foes UTEP and Louisiana Tech meet. Both clubs are looking to get back on track following losses to top 25 opponents this past Saturday.

WKU hosts its first C-USA game when UAB comes  to town. There are seven coaches on the Hilltoppers staff with UAB ties, including head coach Jeff Brohm who was served as the Blazers offensive coordinator in 2012.

UTSA hosts New Mexico and Rice welcomes Hawaii in the other two ASN games. The Roadrunners are coming off a heart-breaking, last-minute loss at Florida Atlantic, while the Owls posted their first C-USA win at Southern Miss.

North Texas returns to action visiting Indiana. The Mean Green has outscored their opponents 120-9 in their two wins this season and are coming off a bye last week.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 2

Florida Atlantic 10  FIU 38

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 4

Marshall 56  Old Dominion 14

Southern Miss 31  MTSU 37

North Texas 24  Indiana 49

New Mexico 21  UTSA 9

UTEP 3  Louisiana Tech 55

UAB 42 WKU 39

Hawaii 14  Rice 28

Back to the top

Thursday's FINAL:

Florida Atlantic 10  FIU 38

The Shula Trophy stays in Miami, for now.
Back to the top

Check out two upcoming opponents…

Marshall at Old Dominion right now on FSN.

The Monarchs place doesn't look to shabby, small press box though.

Still better than FIU's.

:Laughing:
Back to the top

Watching S. Miss at MTSU.

S. Miss D still sucks bad! Make it hard to judge  the MTSU O. But S. Miss moving ball ok on O but tewo red zone turnovers - sound familiar. Good teams don't do that, bad teams do, hate to say! So far we are two different teams this year, home exciting and good, away too conservative and shaky on D!
Back to the top

I know I'm the "glass half empty" guy but I have been watching the stats of the teams we are going to play and Marshall and MTSU are going to have their way with us. Different level of play all together. Go ahead and criticize me for the statement but I am trying to bring reality back to this site. Think back when some predicted us 8-4 or 7-5 with absolutely nothing to base it on. We are now mid season and the numbers are starting to show the truth. I'm hoping for the same turn around as last year. Time will tell.
Back to the top

FINAL:

Marshall 56  Old Dominion 14

The Herd (5-0, 1-0 C-USA) roll for 593 yards, but not in the usual manner as 50 of their 77 plays went towards the ground attack.

Rakeem Cato tossed a pair of INT's, but still managed 2TD's to counter.

Monarch QB Taylor Heinicke was chased and hurried all contest long, netting only 85 yards for ODU (3-3, 1-2 C-USA) on the day off a 10-of-25 performance.
Back to the top

FINAL:

Southern Miss 31  MTSU 37

Despite running 23 more plays than the competition, the Golden Eagles (2-4, 0-2 C-USA) never led in this one, and trailed by as many as 19 before scoring the games final two touchdowns.

Nick Mullens threw for 426 yards and 3TD in the loss.

The Blue Raiders (4-2, 3-0 C-USA) netted three scores by foot and a pair in the air.

RB Reggie Whatley rushed for 100 yards on 10 carries, which was aided by a long of 64 yards that went the distance.

Back to the top

Watching a future CUSA opponent, Charlotte (UNC-Charlotte still sounds SO much better to me) at Gardner-Webb (2-3 in FCS so far).

They suck losing 17-24 in 4th qtr., VERY much mediocre to poor HS ball being played. I assume they will be placed in our division next year by geography, SURE win coming next year guys! :smile:Ooops - now down 17-27!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Watching a future CUSA opponent, Charlotte (UNC-Charlotte still sounds SO much better to me) at Gardner-Webb (2-3 in FCS so far).

They suck losing 17-24 in 4th qtr., VERY much mediocre to poor HS ball being played. I assume they will be placed in our division next year by geography, SURE win coming next year guys! :smile:Ooops - now down 17-27!
Posted On: Oct 4th 2014, 4:13 PM #336142

FIU was this years sure win

Back to the top

FINAL:

North Texas 24  Indiana 49

The Mean Green (2-3, 0-1 C-USA) found themselves down 21-0 after a quarter of play, and could not recover as the Hoosiers pounded out 353 yards on the ground.

A Tanner Smith TD with 9:21 to play in the 4th saw UNT come within 18 points, but that would be it.

Carlos Harris hauled in 11 catches for 121 yards and a score.
Back to the top
Control functions: