Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

OC40 response to the inside the Burrow.

5 coaches in 5 years will certainly get us to the mountain top
Back to the top

Firing a coach after 2 years will just put us back in the place we are today…Not expecting a bowl game in 2015, but if it doesn't come in 2016, I'm for saying goodbye to CP.  Even though its been talked about you have to remember we're still dealing with HS's recruits which was an awful class.  I'm more interested in how long the coordinators last more so than CP.

Back to the top

@OwlGrad2012..I'm with you. I believe we need to give Coach P time. I just want to see improvement each year. I also agree about the coordinators statement. I don't think we have the correct people in place yet. JMHO
Back to the top

OwlGrad2012 said

Firing a coach after 2 years will just put us back in the place we are today…Not expecting a bowl game in 2015, but if it doesn't come in 2016, I'm for saying goodbye to CP.  Even though its been talked about you have to remember we're still dealing with HS's recruits which was an awful class.  I'm more interested in how long the coordinators last more so than CP.

Posted On: Nov 20th 2014, 6:34 PM #338287
why the third year? I'm sorry but if you  take over a 6-6 team in Florida and can't take it bowling in your 1st two years your not that great of a coach. Can any coach in Florida stick around for 10 years and slide into a couple bowls absolutely. Mario Cristabal wasn't a good coach but he was able to luck into a couple bowls. I'm not asking Charlie to have a 10 win season I'm asking for 7. Stop lowering your expectations. 
I will also say this ROC isn't a D-1 coordinator and nither is Wright they both have to be gone on the 1st.
Back to the top

Like I said…I don't know what's going to happen to the coordinators, part of me thinks BW is gone in Dec, another part thinks both of them will get another year, either way they obviously need to be better.  I think back to Baylor's Art Briles: His first year recruits RG3, goes 4-8 w/ RG3, 4-8 the next season (RG3 tore ACL in the 3rd game), 7-6 next year (RG3 'year 2'),  10-3 the next (RG3's last year).  

OBVIOUSLY we have a different situation and look like we have regressed from last year, which is obviously unacceptable, BUT whether its propaganda or truth, CP is 'building a program' and I'm willing to give him a few years to see if it works.  His upgraded recruits are 1/2 the battle, next year we better begin to see results on the field…

Back to the top

Our seniors were recruited while at Lockhart and Juniors while having a 1-11 season all at the end of HS's career.  

CP gets 3 seasons, as long as progress is made next year.  We will have a senior QB with lots of experience…there is no reason to not improve.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I'm in for giving him four years to fix the problem, he'll have all of his own recruits then and his stamp will be on the program so there will be zero excuses unless there is an injury bug similar to the 2013 Gators.

TeamBeer makes a great point, 5 coaches in 5 years gets us HS coaches running our program.  That kind of turnover will not attract up and coming position coaches or coordinators to lead the program.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Our seniors were recruited while at Lockhart and Juniors while having a 1-11 season all at the end of HS's career.  

CP gets 3 seasons, as long as progress is made next year.  We will have a senior QB with lots of experience…there is no reason to not improve.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2014, 7:44 PM #338294

You say there is no reason we don't imporve next year and if we don't why does any deserve a third year?
Back to the top

sigep77 said

I'm in for giving him four years to fix the problem, he'll have all of his own recruits then and his stamp will be on the program so there will be zero excuses unless there is an injury bug similar to the 2013 Gators.

TeamBeer makes a great point, 5 coaches in 5 years gets us HS coaches running our program.  That kind of turnover will not attract up and coming position coaches or coordinators to lead the program.
Posted On: Nov 21st 2014, 11:19 AM #338341
we have high school coachs running our program. 
Coach Roc didn't call plays at his last job which was FCS.
Back to the top

OC40, there is something to be said about consistency of message.  You're a champion at it, you haven't let up for three coaches and I don't think you ever will.  Quite frankly, you'd be better suited as an SEC fan but when Alabama or UGA or whoever the SEC flavor of the week craps the bed with one or two losses you would be out to hang them as well.  I truly admire your perseverance.

Before I get to my point of consistency, let's look at what we are dealing with.  We have a HC that is at his first HC position.  Clearly there will be a learning curve and growing pains.  Either you just like to be consistent with your "fire everyone" message to rile up the members here or you are not intelligent enough to realize that.  Next, we have a fairly novice staff that right now is probably built a bit too much towards recruiting, but to be fair, our recruiting has flat out SUCKED for the last three to five years.  We need talent and they are identifying that along with fixing depth issues, next they need to be able to coach them up and for that CP gets time.

Next, you really must be honest with yourself as a fan.  I'm not saying we should be OK with losing seasons or .500 seasons, what I am saying is that expectations need to be set based on the caliber of recruit we have had over the last four years, lack of depth, some disastrous interactions with local HS's and a coaching carousel joke you just couldn't make up.  Year over year improvement is what we must be looking for, specifically, not giving games away or losing games we should win AND playing 60 minutes.  I admit, we failed horribly there this year.  I'll chalk that up to coaching mistakes from being new and from coaching in general as well as the players not knowing how to win.

We are not in a position to have a win or GTFO attitude.

Back to consistency.  Staffs will have turnover, that should be expected, but schools that have a lot of turnover with HC's are not desirable jobs.  Coaches want to be "safe" while they build their resume and move on to the next goal in their career, much like a professional would do moving up the ranks.

Consistency is also important with player development.  Having the same head coach, coordinator and position coach for the majority of a players career is important and can be the critical piece in getting over the hump.

Maybe I just wasted my time and bandwidth spelling this out for you, maybe not.  At the end of the day, CP is not getting fired based off of one season and I highly doubt a mediocre season next year gets him canned either.  Buckle up, it's going to be fun.
Back to the top
Control functions: