Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME DAY THREAD: FAU @ MTSU - 11/22/14 @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

Me and another poster on here wanted Bryan Jenkins last year the head man at Bethun Cookman.
He is 46-14 there and still a young guy.
Also you have it wrong you need a great recuriter as well
Or you be watching games and keep wondering why the kid 25 miles from your college is playing at WKU and running for 185 yards on you just like the Howard years.
Back to the top

And I know, everyone says we should take Jucos to fill holes. That may work for a few spots but you cannot build a program off of Jucos. 

Alabama, Kansas State, Auburn, Florida State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and USC all just called. They hit up the JUCOs every season and seem to do fine.

But for FAU's staff to point the finger at Pelini and say they will not recruit JUCOs like he did because it's not how you build a program is odd.

Let's not forget about this guy. I guess gray shirts are cool?

That is why the cupboard was bare when he left: he didn't care about FAU. He wanted to win & leave. 

You're right he left FAU with no talent at all.

The Owls are always accustomed to having this the roster:  
An All-American CB in D'Joun Smith
A UDFA-level FS in Damian Parms
A two-time all-confernce LB in Andrae Kirk
A game-chaning WR in Williams Dukes
A starting quarterback in JaQuez Johnson

Let's no forget here, when Pelini came in he started Stephen Curtis at quarterback in the season opener and will most-likley finish with the same amount of wins (3) in Year 1 as Partridge will with a veteran in Quez.

Charlie, on the other hand, wants to build a program here & turn us into a "powerhouse". That takes time. Winning over night is not sustainable.

You need to read up on PJ Fleck.

From a USA Today article last week…

Western Michigan has turned things around with equal speed, quickly turning last year's 1-11 finish into a 7-3 mark and a shot at the Mid-American Conference West Division title.

"We were the worst coaches in America last year," Fleck said. "And all of a sudden, people want to know how we're doing it."

Not bad for a team composed largely of freshmen, redshirt freshmen and sophomores — nearly nine in every 10 players are sophomores or younger, Fleck estimated.

"We're not the biggest, strongest or fastest, and we're not the most experienced," he said. "They had to work harder than anyone else in the country."

The Broncos' rapid turnaround fits into Fleck's reputation as a program builder. He played for and began his career under former Northern Illinois coach Joe Novak, who laid the foundation for the Huskies' current success. Fleck then remained at NIU under Jerry Kill, now at Minnesota, and spent two seasons as Greg Schiano's wide receivers coach at Rutgers.

That's overnight. But quick success isn't sustainable you say?

Also from that same article, our good friend Terry Mohajir makes an appearance.

After each of Terry Mohajir's two years as Arkansas State's athletic director, he's had to replace his head coach, including last year when Boise State poached Bryan Harsin.

Arkansas State went 4-8 in 2010.. Since then, they have gone 10-3, 10-3, 8-5 and 6-5 with 4 different coaches in 4 years. Yeah 6-5 might be an "off year" or decline, but a bowl sounds nice right about now.

Right now it is difficult to build first teams for him.

Wait till next season if you think this is an issue now.

We have two o-lineman committed, one of which is very highly rated & the other is from the Midwest.

As long as he's from the midwest, he should be good.

Hopefully all of them stick. Causey has said he is a soft commit & he is really good. Though jalen young is up there too as a corner. Both have a bunch of offers, athleticism, & swagger.

As long as they have swagger.

When you go through this recruiting class it is very balanced. All positions are covered.

Tight end?

And for everyone that keeps saying injuries this, and injuries that.

^That's coaching.
Back to the top

Andrew said

And I know, everyone says we should take Jucos to fill holes. That may work for a few spots but you cannot build a program off of Jucos. 

Alabama, Kansas State, Auburn, Florida State, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and USC all just called. They hit up the JUCOs every season and seem to do fine.

But for FAU's staff to point the finger at Pelini and say they will not recruit JUCOs like he because it's not how you build a program is odd.

That is why the cupboard was bare when he left: he didn't care about FAU. He wanted to win & leave. 

Let's no forget here, when Pelini came in he started Stephen Curtis at quarterback in the season opener and will most-likley finish with the same amount of wins (3) in Year 1 as Partridge will with a veteran in Quez.

Charlie, on the other hand, wants to build a program here & turn us into a "powerhouse". That takes time. Winning over night is not sustainable.

Western Michigan has turned things around with equal speed, quickly turning last year's 1-11 finish into a 7-3 mark and a shot at the Mid-American Conference West Division title.

"We were the worst coaches in America last year," Fleck said. "And all of a sudden, people want to know how we're doing it."

Not bad for a team composed largely of freshmen, redshirt freshmen and sophomores — nearly nine in every 10 players are sophomores or younger, Fleck estimated.

"We're not the biggest, strongest or fastest, and we're not the most experienced," he said. "They had to work harder than anyone else in the country."

The Broncos' rapid turnaround fits into Fleck's reputation as a program builder. He played for and began his career under former Northern Illinois coach Joe Novak, who laid the foundation for the Huskies' current success. Fleck then remained at NIU under Jerry Kill, now at Minnesota, and spent two seasons as Greg Schiano's wide receivers coach at Rutgers.

After each of Terry Mohajir's two years as Arkansas State's athletic director, he's had to replace his head coach, including last year when Boise State poached Bryan Harsin.

Arkansas State went 4-8 in 2010.. Since then, they have gone 10-3, 10-3, 8-5 and 6-5 with 4 different coaches in 4 years. Yeah 6-5 might be an "off year" or decline, but a bowl sounds nice right about now.

We have two o-lineman committed, one of which is very highly rated & the other is from the Midwest.

Hopefully all of them stick. Causey has said he is a soft commit & he is really good. Though jalen young is up there too as a corner. Both have a bunch of offers, athleticism, & swagger.

When you go through this recruiting class it is very balanced. All positions are covered.

Tight end?

^That's coaching.
Posted On: Nov 23rd 2014, 3:15 PM #338612
So I take it you are not a partridge fan lol
Back to the top

OwlBroker said

Andrew said

But for FAU's staff to point the finger at Pelini and say they will not recruit JUCOs like he because it's not how you build a program is odd.

Tight end?

^That's coaching.
So I take it you are not a partridge fan lol

Posted On: Nov 23rd 2014, 3:20 PM #338613

I'm a fan of my alma mater and whomever is the coach, but last night was just embarrassing.

I like Charlie and I like the assistant coaches, I just think some of these problems were predictable. I feel bad for the players, but personally I think next season will be two steps backwards before anything forwards. And is that good for the school or program? No. Hope I'm wrong.
Back to the top

I think what Andrew is saying is a lot of our comments can be debunked by facts. It is easy to type in a statement but facts are facts. Coach a team properly. Do what needs to be done. Have the right staff in place . You will be successful. W. Michigan started this run with a 4/5 star QB commit. A local Mich kid that wanted to play close to home. Our coach needs to evaluate his needs and make sure that on signing day he has what he needs to win 5-7 games and more the next year.I remember , before we landed Quez, we went after Waters at Kansas State. Most very successful programs use the juco route to fill needs. Needs from injury, a prospect not developing like the team wanted him to, or just someone that is out there that is just too good to pass up. We should be tireless in our recruiting. FAU's football program will not prosper until it starts winning. If I were HC , I would make darn sure I had the tools to win next year.. Even if that means bringing in multiple juco's.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I think what Andrew is saying is a lot of our comments can be debunked by facts. It is easy to type in a statement but facts are facts. Coach a team properly. Do what needs to be done. Have the right staff in place . You will be successful. W. Michigan started this run with a 4/5 star QB commit. A local Mich kid that wanted to play close to home. Our coach needs to evaluate his needs and make sure that on signing day he has what he needs to win 5-7 games and more the next year.I remember , before we landed Quez, we went after Waters at Kansas State. Most very successful programs use the juco route to fill needs. Needs from injury, a prospect not developing like the team wanted him to, or just someone that is out there that is just too good to pass up. We should be tireless in our recruiting. FAU's football program will not prosper until it starts winning. If I were HC , I would make darn sure I had the tools to win next year.. Even if that means bringing in multiple juco's.
Posted On: Nov 23rd 2014, 3:45 PM #338615

Exactly. Thank you for understanding that.
Back to the top

Andrew said

Who are we talking about here?

They are all Schnellenberger's except for Johnson…

Back to the top

Rick said

Andrew said

I think Andrew was using them to illustrate his point but I could be wrong. 

Posted On: Nov 23rd 2014, 4:15 PM #338617

Back to the top

The jist of my post was supposed to be "give him time. It's not all his fault."

I'm not saying I'm the only opinion here & I'm happy someone in the know (Andrew) could tell me how wrong I was on a few things, that clears things up. 

PS: the Midwest thing was supposed to mean I don't know much about him, not that he is automatically good. And when I say "swagger" along with "athletic" and stuff like that, I mean that they aren't sh*tty players with no confidence. Because that is what it looks like a lot of times: sh*tty players with no confidence. And just because you have a few good players on each side of the ball, does not mean you have enough to fill out a quality starting lineup. It means you have a few players that other teams need to avoid & some players who can have the ball rammed down their throat. 

All I'm saying is give Charlie time. It's not fair to judge a first year coach on players that aren't his. 3 or for years. If no bowl game, then grab the pitchforks. Sorry, but I'd rather be an optimist & be fair to someone that hasn't had the right amount of time to be fairly judged. 

Back to the top

USMCOWL said

Rick said

Andrew said

I think Andrew was using them to illustrate his point but I could be wrong. 

Posted On: Nov 23rd 2014, 4:15 PM #338617

Posted On: Nov 23rd 2014, 4:45 PM #338618
where are the other 20 guys from that class…
Back to the top
Control functions: