Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Bias at the Palm Beach Post

Add topic

While I know at Palm Beach Post is reporting the facts of the article and most of that. I am wondering if there is a bias at the Post against FAU. Yes the team for the first two years of the stadium was not that good, but in 2013 we finished at .500, which built excitement for this season, which was a disappointment for us fans. Yet lets look at the facts. Our facilities compared when we were in the SunBelt before the stadium was built were a little subpar, but for football, we needed a modern day football stadium to help with recruiting and moving up within the conference. Angelos screwed up holding for more money for naming rights, when he could have taken the money when the stadium was first built. If memory serves there was only one outside FAU event held at the stadium after it was built, and that was the Battle of Florida football game which wasn't largely attendented. Angelos was let go, and the university brought in AD Chun.

AD Chun had changed the culture of the department and realized that he needed to bring in other events. Since he came in he has brought international friendly soccer matches to the stadium, both the USMNT and the USWNT, Major League Lacross which now has a professional team using our stadium, the Women's College Cup, worked with the community, ESPN, and NCAA to bring the Boca Raton Bowl to the stadium, The Burger King Football Bowl Series. But there has been some contervsary since Chun came on, the GEO Group naming rights debacle, and Carl Pelini and the drug allegations. The Geo Group cost MJ Saunders her job.

After MJ Saunders resigned, the University went out and hired President John Kelly, who ever since he came in has made a impact with the university. Hosting a expo for the university with the Broward and Palm Beach county school districts, reaching out to potential donors for the university along with working with Boca Raton on the 20th Street project. Also getting the large gift for the new practice and athletic and academic center. The only marr on his record so far is the questions to students regarding the their sexual activities for admission to the university which is a violation of privacy of students.

So the point I am getting at here, where is the positive reporting from the Palm Beach Post on these great events at FAU and not just focusing on the negatives that comes with the university. But negative events like this could happen at any university. I think the Post should focus on postives coming from the university and not the negatives.

Back to the top

Back to the top

I(t will work, just needs more time for succes like ANYTHING in S. Florida. I hope the Boca Bowl (even with MARSHALL and N. ILL in it - both BIG TIME poachets of OUR talent!) is a Huge success and becomes and Bowl Game staple.

Getting the indoor practice and academic facilty will help get us there, i hope Pres. Kelly can pull the triger on financing the construction ASAP with the pledges of the future $15M and future pledges decreasing the amount owed and NOT waiting til pledge $$$ are in hand.

Bottom line in business - you can't make money unless you spend $$$.
Back to the top

I posted a comment calling them on their s*** and they deleted it haha
Back to the top

The problem with the PBP is they are a UF Gator news paper. Since the Gators have fallen from importance, they are at a loss. So rather than write negatives about Florida, they would rather write negatives about the other Florida schools. It is rather funny watching search for good things to write about at UF. Wonderful human interest stories and personal stories. PS, the swamp has NEVER been as empty as it was this year. FAU is on its way up. Sure it isn't easy and it is slow, but the U of F has fallen to near the bottom of the SEC. That is a much harder climb.
Back to the top

Just logged on to PBP to check headlines   … Gators ROCK Texas Southern. In basketball.Where is Texas Southern?Who cares about that game ? Who? The guys at PBP. Stories like these are why local newspapers are going under. Again, comical.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

The problem with the PBP is they are a UF Gator news paper.
Yep. I'm sure they'd cry, "It's not our job to promote a particular university, it's just our job to report the facts." Yet look how they write about UF:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/news/local-education/why-cant-i-get-into-uf/nSWJW/

"Like many of her friends and classmates, Chelsea Apparicio couldn’t wait to attend the University of Florida and become a member of Gator Nation."

"The university does not have the academic credentials of an Ivy League school, but to many Floridians, UF is the school to attend."

Not your job to promote the university, eh?
Back to the top

My favorite thing in the article was using a picture of an empty stadium in APRIL to talk about bad football attendance. 
Back to the top

Take solace in the fact that they were so slow to adopt new media that they'll be jobless soon.

I drove by the old Miami Herald building yesterday, there is only about 10% left of it standing…it's a sad and accurate visual of the newspaper industry as a whole.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Just logged on to PBP to check headlines   … Gators ROCK Texas Southern. In basketball.Where is Texas Southern?Who cares about that game ? Who? The guys at PBP. Stories like these are why local newspapers are going under. Again, comical.
Posted On: Dec 14th 2014, 7:26 PM #339696

What did the paper have to post about the Owls beating UCF AT UCF?

By the way PB Post, BOTH of these schools are geographically closer to WPB than UF!
Back to the top
Control functions: