Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Lynn Haven DB Reakwon Jones Commits to FAU Football

Add topic

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

My point is, in 2 more seasons it will be on CP.  But not now, he hasn't had a chance to recruit and develop players.

You are calling for firing him or whatever, yet you understand that we need to fill holes with unprepared and underdeveloped 18 year old 3 star freshman.  Kind of a double standard, no?

Posted On: Jan 6th 2015, 9:17 PM #340503
 I hate this idea two more years it's on CP. A good coach can turn any situation into a better one.
A good coach shouldn't require all of his players to be his, have a favorable schedule and some luck to win 7 or 8 games.
I have been a lot of research on 2nd year coaches and plan on making a big post about it and it might shock many of you.
Year one was whatever we lost 4 games on the final deffensive  play some of you want to make excuses and call it bad luck.
I call it what it really is and that's poor coaching late in games.
2015 I expect 7 wins anything less your kidding your self to say charlie is an great coach.
That's not saying he couldn't take us to a bowl games or have a good season here or there. The coaches who make real differences make improvments and don't require the stars to align.
Posted On: Jan 7th 2015, 10:33 AM #340509

I don't think it's bad luck that we had turnovers and lost those games in the last few minutes. I think it's poor discipline in the players, which does go back to coaching. Next year, I think we should win those games (actually, there's no excuse for fumbling, so we should have won them this year). SO I agree, we need to at least get to bowl eligibility, since we SHOULD have been eligible this year except for late-game breakdowns. But I do also think you need to give new coaches at least 2-3 years to prove that they're good or bad coaches, especially as a first-time HC.
Back to the top

We play Miami and UF next year…Vegas will have us at 20+ point dogs in both games.  So lets call those a long shot for the sake of this discussion.  

That leaves us 10 games that are "winnable", 5 of which are on the road.

You say win 7 games like its just that simple and easy to do so.  Its 70 percent of the competitive games we play and at least 2 road wins IF we win all 5 games aside from Miami at home.  

With the lack of depth we have in the front 7 for 2015 because previous regimes seemed to forget to recruit D-Lineman and Linebackers we will have the same problem stopping the run and pressuring the QB.  Which is usually the key to winning football games.

I am not accepting of losing, but I do look at the situation from a realistic angle.  CP needed to get JUCO DL and LB's to fill the holes we will have next year.  

Chun came out and publically stated he doens't want his coach recruiting JUCO's.  We are now in a situation where we will be playing and depending on underdeveloped, inexeperienced, undersized Linebackers for all of 2015.

I like your attitude of "this is FAU and we must win and win now damnit", but this is a message board, lets have some real conversation on here.  You really cant possibly think we are going to start a bunch of freshman on defense and improve?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

We play Miami and UF next year…Vegas will have us at 20+ point dogs in both games.  So lets call those a long shot for the sake of this discussion.  

That leaves us 10 games that are "winnable", 5 of which are on the road.

You say win 7 games like its just that simple and easy to do so.  Its 70 percent of the competitive games we play and at least 2 road wins IF we win all 5 games aside from Miami at home.  

With the lack of depth we have in the front 7 for 2015 because previous regimes seemed to forget to recruit D-Lineman and Linebackers we will have the same problem stopping the run and pressuring the QB.  Which is usually the key to winning football games.

I am not accepting of losing, but I do look at the situation from a realistic angle.  CP needed to get JUCO DL and LB's to fill the holes we will have next year.  

Chun came out and publically stated he doens't want his coach recruiting JUCO's.  We are now in a situation where we will be playing and depending on underdeveloped, inexeperienced, undersized Linebackers for all of 2015.

I like your attitude of "this is FAU and we must win and win now damnit", but this is a message board, lets have some real conversation on here.  You really cant possibly think we are going to start a bunch of freshman on defense and improve?
Posted On: Jan 7th 2015, 11:07 AM #340511
Man you sound like AL Golden making excuses.
I get it their will be some weak spots on this team LB safety.
A good coach does well when the team isn't perfect.
This team should be good at many positions next year RB will be stacked the OL will have 4 returning starters and 7 guys with starting experience returning..
WR has some good young talent (If they dont regress like Dukes did)
We have senior QB!
The Dline is bringing back everyone that played last year expect for one back up we should be about 7-8 deep there next year and that does not include if we get Peter Bailey the JUCO kid or any kids who RS last year who might step up.
The CB's bring back Leblanc and Sharrad who played well last year Reggie Brown returns from a knee injury to compete with R. Williams who played well as a freshman and D.J Juste who made some plays very late in the season. Throw in a couple our top recruits play CB we should be solid there.

YES LB and safety are a concern but have recruited a lot at those two positions the last two years we might not be deep but lets hope couple of CHARLIES'S guys step up.
I'm not asking for 10 wins next year 7-8 would be nice we have an extra home Vs. a 6-7 ACC team (stop thinking of them as the U) and many of our normally tough conference games at home.

You guys want to give Charlie 3 years before you decide whether he is a good coach or not but many GOOD coaches make a real difference in year two.
Can a coach come to a program get all of his guys get everything he wants the turn the school into a bowl team? Yea!
I want to see a coach turn chicken into a good meal and not sit around until he has a Filet Mignon.     

Back to the top

Man you sound like AL Golden making excuses.
- Al Golden has been at Miami too long to make excuses.

I get it their will be some weak spots on this team LB safety.
- I just dont know how weak these spots are going to be.  Hopefully not so weak they cost us games.  Without Kirk, I am not sure what the talent level will be at LB…but not looking good.

A good coach does well when the team isn't perfect.
- Not looking for perfect situation, but we have glaring holes that CP has simply not had the to address yet.

This team should be good at many positions next year RB will be stacked the OL will have 4 returning starters and 7 guys with starting experience returning..
I agree, the RB's as a group should be amazing.  Jay should have a huge season if he can simply hold onto the ball.  I am optimistic about the OL as long as we don't catch the injury bug.  Our answer for not being able to stop the run will hopefully be to establish our own running game.

WR has some good young talent (If they don't regress like Dukes did) - Yea, not so sure what happened there.  I do think we have some talent at WR coming back and coming up so I am not so worried.  I just hope DJ Juste can take Whiteheads spot as a dynamic play maker.

We have senior QB!
- Looking forward to this, we are the type of team you dont want to play next year.  Senior QB with a lot of tight game experience.

The D line is bringing back everyone that played last year expect for one back up we should be about 7-8 deep there next year and that does not include if we get Peter Bailey the JUCO kid or any kids who RS last year who might step up.
- Yea and I think we add the kid from Rutgers as well.  I am not sure about the talent level of this group.  Hoping for the best.  If they can play well it will take a lot of pressure off the LB's.

The CB's bring back Leblanc and Sharrad who played well last year Reggie Brown returns from a knee injury to compete with R. Williams who played well as a freshman and D.J Juste who made some plays very late in the season. Throw in a couple our top recruits play CB we should be solid there.
- I am comfortable at CB next year.  We have talent/experience.

YES LB and safety are a concern but have recruited a lot at those two positions the last two years we might not be deep but lets hope couple of CHARLIES'S guys step up.
-Charlie recruited a few linebackers last year.  Stohl left the program and according to sources Kris Harris showed up out of shape (not sure how you do that at 18 years old) and isn't the player he was rated as.  Hopefully we get a few kids that are talented enough to play some this year.

I'm not asking for 10 wins next year 7-8 would be nice we have an extra home Vs. a 6-7 ACC team (stop thinking of them as the U) and many of our normally tough conference games at home.
-8 wins would be an amazing season.  7 is a great job by the staff.  I dont think of them as the U, but they will still be a significant favorite vs us.

You guys want to give Charlie 3 years before you decide whether he is a good coach or not but many GOOD coaches make a real difference in year two.
-I understand that, every situation is different.  I think FAU is changing dramatically right now.  We are adding facilities (stadium, practice facility, academic hall, weight room, etc.)  Most scenarios you are referring to dont have a dynamic program like FAU.  For instance, a coach at say Utah walks into a situation that has been the same for years.  My point is, our potential to recruit and resources today are vastly different than 2010.

Can a coach come to a program get all of his guys get everything he wants the turn the school into a bowl team? Yea!
-Agree and hope so, but I dont think Charlie should be judged by last year alone.

I want to see a coach turn chicken into a good meal and not sit around until he has a Filet Mignon.
-I love chicken.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Bottom line is this. Freshmen sometimes do come in and impress and impact right away. Those  freshmen are usually the most in demand kids in the country.We generally are not going to get those kids. We need to look at the potential for years 3,4,& 5. I'm not saying they can't play. In our desperate situation we need a couple to step up. But if you are coaching a D-1 program and expect 18 or 19 year old kids to compete against 22 and 23 year olds, you will have a greater chance of failure then success. Reakwon Jones is visiting Cal the last weekend before signing day." It's over Johnny, it's over." If I were Charlie, I would be looking at plan B.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Hey doc, sent you an e-mail!

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I've decided to commit to Indiana and will be closing the recruiting process down! pic.twitter.com/SriYFEfw5p

— Reakwon Jones #⃣7⃣ (@jones_reakwon) January 19, 2015

Posted On: Jan 20th 2015, 2:43 PM #341060

Good luck to him!  Hope he has a successful career and more importantly graduates (which is the real purpose of getting a scholarship to play football in college).
Back to the top

I agree Guest. Ultimately, we would love for all these good players to pick us, but they need to do what is best for them and their families. I too hope he takes his education serious and he is happy. The Big 10 is a very good conference.Probably the best today.
Back to the top

I was gonna say congrats but hope you are gonna enjoy getting your ass whiped  BigTime up there at INDY!

Guys, this new Power5 full cost af attendance and guaranteeing 4 year schollys is hitting at the very worst time for us!
Back to the top
Control functions: