Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Athletics & Athlete Stipend

GeorgiaOwl said

I was gonna say congrats but hope you are gonna enjoy getting your ass whiped  BigTime up there at INDY!

Guys, this new Power5 full cost af attendance and guaranteeing 4 year schollys is hitting at the very worst time for us!
Posted On: Jan 20th 2015, 5:15 PM #341066

Why?  We are able to offer the same exact package.  Its not Power 5 its DI.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Do we offer the full package the Power 5 now do? I mean full cost of attendance (including the cash -er... I mean the "stipend") and guaranteed 4 year athletic scholorship?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Do we offer the full package the Power 5 now do? I mean full cost of attendance (including the cash -er… I mean the "stipend") and guaranteed 4 year athletic scholorship?
Posted On: Jan 21st 2015, 11:59 AM #341071

I would imagine we are going to start this year like everybody else.

Back to the top

No athletic scholarship at any school is guaranteed for 4 years. They all run year to year.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

No athletic scholarship at any school is guaranteed for 4 years. They all run year to year.
Posted On: Jan 21st 2015, 2:02 PM #341076

Not anymore…

NCAA increases value of scholarships in historic vote

Back to the top

walty12 said

DeltAlumnus said

Posted On: Jan 21st 2015, 2:02 PM #341076

Not anymore…

NCAA increases value of scholarships in historic vote
Posted On: Jan 21st 2015, 2:14 PM #341077

I know this is off topic from this particular recruit, however, back to the article…If the athlete is given money for off campus housing or transportation costs based on what's determined to be the oncampus rates and his costs wind up being less, wouldn't that be considered income?  They don't have to claim it and pay taxes?
Back to the top

I think so too but the IRS has not gotten involved - yet!

And all of this crying that the poor athletes can't py their rent or buy food or go to the movis is BS. Practically anyone can get a Pell GRANT at over $5K a year and live off of that, AND NEVER HAVE TO REPAY IT!

This is just the beginning of the mess this Pandoras Box will bring - lawsuits like crazry when; 1) sports get cut, 2)non revenue players don't get paid the same as revenus sports, 3)gender discrimination suits when females don't get paid the same a s the men, 4) Gender reverse discrimination suits when men's sports get cut right and left while womens sports don't due to  Title IX. And on and …..

And someday soon some school(s), Conferences(s), sports(s) will file both Federal and State racketering and monolpoly lawsuits over the economic damages these moves by the Power 5 FOOTBALL Conferences have done to the exisitng structue of amatuer sports  and the lost opportunities for all to participate in intercollegiate athletics, at ALL LEVELS!

Everyone has seen the reactions to the UAB situation. Now imagine the rection if baseball was dropped at UM because of football. Or womens basketball at Tennessee or UCONN….

Back to the top

If that isn't a mess enough, how are donors and students going to feel when they realize they are paying for these players to play and be on full rides?

I know when I was paying huge student fees for athletics while attending, the only reason I didn't mind was because the players were not getting paid.  I had no problem with my money funding the program, I sure as heck would have minded if my money went toward paying student athletes an income!

Back to the top

FAU Athletics & Athlete Stipend...

Creating this topic to discuss, as has resurfaced…the Conference supports the notion, but leaves it up to the individual institution (at present).

Me thinks to remain competitive that stance may have to change.

Moved posts over from unrelated thread for tidiness…
Back to the top

Just read (on the other site) that FAU is going to pay the full cost of attendance stipend but it did not say we were going to the 4 year scollys though.

By the way, CUSA is allowing it's members to do this but not requiring it.

I am sure the Coaches are getting the word out to ALL of our commits (even those de-commiting) to help keep 'em here and maybe even re-aquire a few!
Back to the top
Control functions: