Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UPDATED: "Schmidt Family Complex for Academic and Athletic Excellence"

illinoisowl said

Never did I ever think that dinky little campus where I went to college would turn into this.

Posted On: Dec 2nd 2014, 9:05 PM #339195

Agreed IllinoisOwl. I am class of '79, the last year it was an "upper" division only school. We had NO sports except intermurals and the place had little to no landscaping even. But we did have some biga__ runways and taxiways, err…parking lots!

I am so impressed and proud of where MY school has gone and grown!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

illinoisowl said

Never did I ever think that dinky little campus where I went to college would turn into this.

Posted On: Dec 2nd 2014, 9:05 PM #339195

Agreed IllinoisOwl. I am class of '79, the last year it was an "upper" division only school. We had NO sports except intermurals and the place had little to no landscaping even. But we did have some biga__ runways and taxiways, err…parking lots!

I am so impressed and proud of where MY school has gone and grown!
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2014, 9:22 PM #339204

I was class of '80. Just a little field house with some sports equipment. It was fun though. Living near the beach and having a place like Boca Raton and Ft Lauderdale next to us. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

With this no excuses on becoming the top program in conference usa within 4 years. Gotta think this will put more pressure on partridge in the coming years 
Back to the top

For sure, we have to recruit and coach and play like Marshall!
Back to the top

wonder how many of those people at the annoucment that was made at 4pm could be potential donors?
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

wonder how many of those people at the annoucment that was made at 4pm could be potential donors?
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2014, 11:42 PM #339223

Well, the event was invite only and the vast majority, if not all, are already donors to a number of causes related to FAU.
Back to the top

sigep77 said

USMCOWL said

Posted On: Dec 2nd 2014, 11:42 PM #339223

Well, the event was invite only and the vast majority, if not all, are already donors to a number of causes related to FAU.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2014, 12:21 AM #339226

ahh thank you. well it may not be hard if President Kelly and VP for Athletics Chun to get donors to help.  like someone said earlier, you can probably get people to sponors or donate naming rights for several areas of the complex. Heck ask LA Fitness or Golds Gym to sponors the weight room. lol..
Back to the top

Considering this is being built on the site of the proposed convocation center from 10 years ago, I'd say there has been a change of plans.

There was mention that the basketball arena would see an upgrade in this process as well, but that's not the priority with this project. And the Greeks will be lucky to keep operating the way the current national landscape is looking at them, forget housing. That's not a knock on FAU Greeks, I know they're the ones that drive a ton of student involvement and support athletics better than any other groups but in my opinion, they are being overlooked because they're not bringing much else to the table. 

our president came from a school where a chapter killed a kid right before he left…and I haven't heard him talk about Greek life (student life, sure but nothing about fraternities) in any of his speeches. Does t seem to be on his list of things necessary to make FAU a great academic and athletic institution. 
Back to the top

Lago said

When are we ever going to get a new baseball stadium and greek housing? I know football brings in the most money and publicity, but those have been promised/sorely needed for a while. Any word on those?
Posted On: Dec 2nd 2014, 9:15 PM #339202

My response above didn't quote this.
Back to the top

FYI UF announced that they're going to build a $15M indoor practice field which will be done before us, so we will only be joining UF, FSU and UCF as schools with one… though all Florida schools will undoubtedly have one at some point because we all have the same weather problem.

Maybe now the Gator grads who write for the PBP will back off their sabotage plan now that they don't have to worry that FAU will have something that UF won't have.
Back to the top
Control functions: