Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Logos: Progress or Regress?

Add topic

How do you guys feel about the following changes that FAU Athletics has made over the years? I'm interested to hear point by point, you like it, you feel ambivalent, you hate it, etc.

A) Blue as a prominent color with red for rivalry games to now red for pretty much everything

B) The FAU Owl Head for most things to the full owl logo

C) Helmet change from winged FAU letters to the full owl logo

D) "Fla Atl" instead of "FAU" for scores on televised games

E) The emphasis on Florida ATLANTIC on basketball jerseys instead of FAU

Personally I really hate it but I'm wondering if I'm the only one.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

How do you guys feel about the following changes that FAU Athletics has made over the years? I'm interested to hear point by point, you like it, you feel ambivalent, you hate it, etc.

A) Blue as a prominent color with red for rivalry games to now red for pretty much everything

B) The FAU Owl Head for most things to the full owl logo

C) Helmet change from winged FAU letters to the full owl logo

D) "Fla Atl" instead of "FAU" for scores on televised games

E) The emphasis on Florida ATLANTIC on basketball jerseys instead of FAU

Personally I really hate it but I'm wondering if I'm the only one.
Posted On: Jan 26th 2015, 9:50 PM #341223

I don't mind the changes, except for maybe C). I always thought our helmet should be more identifying.  There used to be a logo that was the full owl and the winged FAU letters above the owl (no Florida Atlantic ribbon in between).  It would have been a perfect logo, but that logo was discontinued.

For B)…the owl head is now an institutional logo used by the University, while the full owl is used for athletics.  So the owl head is used on signage. It is also used as the spirit mark for club sports.  Club sports are not allowed to use athletics logos.  

I would like to see red & blue used equally and not have red surpass blue.  I think tons of schools use 2 dominant colors.

The Florida ATLANTIC font on the basketball jerseys now match the font on the football jerseys so it brings consistency.  
Back to the top

The Owl logo is very busy, IMO. I prefer simpler, quickly-identifiable logos (the U, USF, Florida Gator, and similar). Our "FAU" logo is OK. I guess it's not going anywhere since we built it into the seats in the stadium.

I really like the emphasis on ATLANTIC. There are now so many D1 schools in Florida, it's tough to keep track. I think we are the only D1 school with Atlantic in their name. It's a desirable, descriptive term. Going along with it, I hope we emphasize blue. I'm not sure where the use of red originated or if it has any symbolism to FAU. FAU is bound to get confused (accidentally or purposefully) with our rivals elsewhere in the state. Atlantic is unique.

The use of Atlantic reminds me of how Buffalo (the school) now emphasizes New York on their football jerseys.
Back to the top

lm77 said

Our "FAU" logo is OK. I guess it's not going anywhere since we built it into the seats in the stadium.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2015, 4:10 PM #341245

Interestingly, the logo built into the seats is no longer being used by Athletics or the University.
Back to the top

fauowl said

lm77 said

Our "FAU" logo is OK. I guess it's not going anywhere since we built it into the seats in the stadium.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2015, 4:10 PM #341245

Interestingly, the logo built into the seats is no longer being used by Athletics or the University.
Posted On: Jan 27th 2015, 4:35 PM #341246

Its my favorite logo.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: