Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UCF Stadium "improvement"

Add topic

Guest likes humor. "Beyond laughable" and hilarious. I have a picture of a Golden Knight, in his frat outfit, just getting frustrated at his key board. Dude. Shuffle off. Go hang out with your buddies and tell stories about all the great things Blake did . I know, I know, my comments are probably"wildly ,out off control , unbelievably funny" to you.
Back to the top

UCFKnight85 said

Jack David Whidden III said

ucfknight85 said

Guest said

Jack David Whidden III said

illinoisowl said

ucfknight85 said

lol

FAU ripped off our stadium after BHNS was already built.  You used literally the exact same builder with the exact same conceptual design.   And this deck design has been in the mix since BHNS was opened in 2007.

Posted On: Jan 28th 2015, 10:46 AM #341261
How did FAU rip off a stadium they paid $70M for?
So what If it looks like UCF's stadium. Big deal! So what!
Posted On: Jan 28th 2015, 12:04 PM #341264
We actually did get some of the design from UCF's stadium. But don't tell our little friend here but we used a completely different architecture firm. And if we "ripped off" their stadium, then "their" architecture firm would've filled a suit against HKS. But that has yet to happen, and never will. Maybe because ours is much more beautiful than their gray bleacher filled trampoline of a stadium?

Posted On: Jan 28th 2015, 12:12 PM #341266

I believe they call it the "bounce" house.  Construction method is not copying a stadium.  I don't care that they are adding a deck, they saw ours (they came for a visit by the way as well as FIU and saw a great idea).  It would be dumb not to try to implement in their own stadium.  But our stadium looks much nicer than theirs, and I hope their backs don't hurt watching the game in those bleachers.
Posted On: Jan 28th 2015, 3:43 PM #341276
Our backs have been fine watching Top 10 teams in recent years with 40-45K fans in the stands.

Thanks for the concern.
Posted On: Jan 30th 2015, 8:18 PM #341372
Bragging about hosting just two top ten teams and having 45k attendance (although UCF averaged 37,811 this year) is like USF bragging that they were #2 once. At the end of the day, that's nothing compared to what the big boys are doing.
Moreover, it's pretty ironic to say "thanks for the concern" when you were the one so concerned about FAU stealing the "exact same builder and exact same conceptual design" (again, neither are true) that you had to post on our message board about it.

Posted On: Jan 31st 2015, 11:19 AM #341375

lol

UCF has recently won a BCS bowl game, finished in the Top 10, beat 2 Top 10 teams in a season (while losing to another by 3) and has won back to back conference championships.  That's 3 conference titles in 5 years as well.

How many "P5" programs can claim they've won a BCS bowl game and/or defeated the Big 12 champion in the past 5 years?

USF was #2 for roughly 5 days.  They fact you're using that as a comparison is beyond laughable.

I actually checked this board just to see if there was anything worthwhile regarding the new series between UCF and FAU.  I chimed in when I hard the hilarious comments about UCF "stealing" FAU's design when it's documented fact that FAU purposely used the exact same builders and design as UCF.

To be clear, FAU used the architecture firm HKS/Schenkel Schultz, headquartered in Dallas, Texas. UCF used 360 Architecture, later acquired by HOK, an international business established in Missouri that is "headquartered nowhere".

In Fall 2005 FAU selected a development team named KUD International which presented an Innovation Village workshop in November 2006. During that meeting, Scott Radeic from HOK Sport presented a number of options of dome vs non-dome, combined football/basketball vs separate, concrete vs steel, number of seats, construction costs, etc. Included were football stadiums from Louisville, Princeton, SMU, UConn, Minneosta, Colorado Rapids, PaeTec Park and, yes, UCF (because they were the architects on that project)

In a later meeting, a now-infamous rendering was punched up in 5 minutes by HOK to show FAU would their stadium could possibly look like (image courtesy of Ted Hutton)

…which is basically a stripped-down version of HOK's design for BHNS (below) with an FAU logo on it.

That design was just a concept to help voting members get an idea of how the stadium would look. FAU then ultimately selected HKS, telling them we wanted a beach themed stadium, and the result came back as

So obviously ours is a horseshoe and yours is a bowl. Ours has beaches, a scoreboard with palm trees, the FAU logo in the seats, seats themselves, and a very popular open air tiki bar on the west sideline. Beyond the necessities (steel columns, a scoreboard on one of the north-south ends and a press box/suites tower) that everyone has, there aren't many similarities in the design of the stadium. Palm trees encircling the stadium seems like a silly thing to point out, but I guess both stadiums do have that in common.

on the other hand, there are more similarities between the open air tiki bar being built at FAU and the open air tiki bar that already exists at FAU. As a concept, it's very close. In execution, it's different enough because of small touches like the surfboards. It makes less sense than ours, considering how far you are from the beach, so it's a little disingenuous in that way.

But perhaps the most annoying to us is how the media is proclaiming it to be "the most innovative idea in college football since the spread offense" when we already have the same thing. It's a testament to our invisibility on the national stage, and furthermore our Athletics Department/University should be responding to these things and pointing out that we've already done this. Unfortunately, they haven't, so it's on fans to make a stink. And we're making a stink.

Ultimately it won't matter but FAU needs to stand up and have a stronger voice so its innovations don't get overlooked like this in the future.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc...can I pay you to write my posts. Yours are so much more gooder and way more smarter then mine. Just kidding. Nice post. Well said.
Back to the top

Owl2doc..please write something witty or at least explain this. Causey de-committed from us to commit at UCF ..????? I would have understood UF, UGa, Mich, FSU. But UCF? Help me out brother for I am at a loss.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Owl2doc..please write something witty or at least explain this. Causey de-committed from us to commit at UCF ..????? I would have understood UF, UGa, Mich, FSU. But UCF? Help me out brother for I am at a loss.
Posted On: Jan 31st 2015, 5:48 PM #341383

Probably for the opportunity to play in front of an open-air tiki bar.
Back to the top

Her has a connection to a coach there.
Back to the top

Good news here is our DB's in this class are the best in our conference and the envy of most.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: