Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

MADD: FAU Shuttle Encourages Drinking

Add topic

MADD: FAU Shuttle Service Encourages Drinking - WPEC-TV CBS12 News :: News - Top Stories

Isn't the purpose of MADD to prevent people from getting behind the wheel drunk?

I know when I was at FAU I would have been all for this shuttle. It's funny when a group starts out-stepping their original purpose. FAU finds a way to help prevent drunk driving and MADD's response is well that encourages drinking, instead of commending FAU for their efforts in preventing students from getting behind the wheel drunk. 

Back to the top

Boozie132 said

http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_23828.shtml

Isn't the purpose of MADD to prevent people from getting behind the wheel drunk?

I know when I was at FAU I would have been all for this shuttle. It's funny when a group starts out-stepping their original purpose. FAU finds a way to help prevent drunk driving and MADD's response is well that encourages drinking, instead of commending FAU for their efforts in preventing students from getting behind the wheel drunk.

Posted On: Feb 28th 2015, 3:46 AM #342888
That is one big pile of crap of a story.  Makes me really MADDDD.

I replied to the tweet about the story…

WPEC Tweet
Back to the top

And since when is it the university job to check id's of everyone going to a bar. These are young adults who are making the decisions, and the job not to admit underage people to bars should be the people at the bar, not the university.
Back to the top

Damn, then shut down ALL public transportation because it does the VERY SAME THING. Oh, and shut down taxi service businesses too, STUPID, STUPID STORY!
Back to the top

Oh, and DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THOSE DAMN DESIGNATED DRIVER TYPE PEOPLE, THEY ARE ENCOURAGING DRINKING TOO ACTUALLY, ARE THEY NOT?:Laughing:
Back to the top

Asinine.

They haven't done this poor a job of reporting since the original Jesus Stomp article.

My concern is that, despite the poor journalism, by driving traffic to the site and complaing about it, does that encourage them to do more articles like this? Perhaps they think they must be onto something if there's pushback.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Asinine.

They haven't done this poor a job of reporting since the original Jesus Stomp article.
Posted On: Feb 28th 2015, 11:03 AM #342893

owl2Doc said

Asinine.

Posted On: Feb 28th 2015, 11:03 AM #342893

that whole thing was just an overdone disaster.  still cannot believe that got the press it did at a public university…ridiculous.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

What's the end goal… does WPEC want FAU to cancel the shuttle? Why? Are they concerned that this shuttle will cause blackout drunk college students to be slumped over sidewalks in Boca? I mean come on.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

What's the end goal… does WPEC want FAU to cancel the shuttle? Why? Are they concerned that this shuttle will cause blackout drunk college students to be slumped over sidewalks in Boca? I mean come on.
Posted On: Feb 28th 2015, 12:16 PM #342895

Then FAU will get bad press about not controlling their students. This shuttle is a good thing because it makes sure students get to and from their destination safely.
Back to the top

We get thousands more to live ON CAMPUS, it is a GOOD THING to have transportation for them to the shopping and entertainment areas and NOT be driving all their cars, regardless of drinking IMHO!

VERY short sighted and irresponsible reporting, VERY!
Back to the top
Control functions: