Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Lacrosse at FAU

Add topic

At the school I teach at, one of the teachers who is filling in till the end of the year coach's lacrosse at the school. The subject of lacrosse at FAU came up. I knew the university and the coach mentioned to field a team it would have to start at the lower level of division 2, but right now if i remember correctly its NAIA or basically a club league. We then deteremined that it made sense for the time being but the point was brought up, if they did field a team, they could draw interest from people here in the reigon. I even asked one of my students who plays lacrosse, and he said if FAU had a team and offered a full ride, he would go. Just food for thought. 
Back to the top

Guest said

At the school I teach at, one of the teachers who is filling in till the end of the year coach's lacrosse at the school. The subject of lacrosse at FAU came up. I knew the university and the coach mentioned to field a team it would have to start at the lower level of division 2, but right now if i remember correctly its NAIA or basically a club league. We then deteremined that it made sense for the time being but the point was brought up, if they did field a team, they could draw interest from people here in the reigon. I even asked one of my students who plays lacrosse, and he said if FAU had a team and offered a full ride, he would go. Just food for thought. 
Posted On: Mar 7th 2015, 11:39 AM #343265

It is currently a club sport.

Here is the problem with adding sports: Title IX. You have to have a balance of women's and men's sports.  When you have football, it takes a lot of women's sports to catch up.  Not sure where they stand on the balance. They recently added Sand Volleyball and I would bet Title IX had something to do with it.

The thing Lacrosse has going for it is that it is becoming popular and is a spectator sport that could generate revenue at some point.  It could replace cross country and/or track in years to come simply because of that fact.  Just my opinion. I have no information.
Back to the top

Agreed FAUOWL. Maybe down the road. Also with the Title 9 angle. Too bad everyone needs to write "just my opinion" to avoid conflict. If you are writing it , it obviously is your opinion. People have a hard time respecting that.
Back to the top

Guest said

Posted On: Mar 7th 2015, 11:39 AM #343265

Do you teach English?
Back to the top

Add men's AND women's lacross then. Both sexes play the sport in College!
Back to the top

I actually typed it but had to log it in as guest but I teach history.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Too bad everyone needs to write "just my opinion" to avoid conflict. If you are writing it , it obviously is your opinion. People have a hard time respecting that.
Posted On: Mar 7th 2015, 12:42 PM #343267

I do it because I am not anonymous.  I speak to lots of people connected with the program all the time.  I do not want some to assume that I heard something and they take it and run with it.  Sometimes I write things because it is my opinion and sometimes I write things because it is fact.
Back to the top

Like I said, food for for thought.
Back to the top
Control functions: