Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Speed of our spread O

Here is an interesting story;

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/5/15/8586169/hurry-up-offense-fastest-slowest

WE have GOT TO improve on this and make the O something to be feared, not the slow methodical thing it is! STOP all the look backs and delays to the sideline!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Here is an interesting story;

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/5/15/8586169/hurry-up-offense-fastest-slowest

WE have GOT TO improve on this and make the O something to be feared, not the slow methodical thing it is! STOP all the look backs and delays to the sideline!
Posted On: May 15th 2015, 8:26 PM #345300

To me, this is just an empty statistic.  I would rather be the slowest paced team in America and have 10 wins than to be the fastest paced team and have 4 wins.
If they can tie the pace into how it impacts win/loss, then maybe it has value.
The list says that Tulsa has a faster pace than FAU, a game I believe we have a good chance to win…and that Miami has a slower pace than FAU, a game I believe we have a probable chance to lose.  
If we lose to Tulsa and beat Miami, then this stat may mean something but based on just this list…not so sure.
Back to the top

Hey Mark, I agree as itself, it is an empty stat, you can have the fastest O but die by turnovers or awful D, ya never know. But part of the reason for the spread is to control the pace of the game and control the D's ability to substitute. Most of the top speed O's are pretty good at putting up lots of points, something we have frankly never been the greatest at. And ya score lots of points it usually takes the other teams running game away. And every stop and look back for the play allows the other D to catch it's breath and rest, again, something the spread is NOT suppossed to allow.

Look at MTSU's win over Ga. Tech. A running team has a hard time keeping up with that and is forced to change it's game and do something it is usually not the greatest at. For us, a better O and we win away at Navy, at Rice, at Wyoming. Losses againt UAB and ODU last year, at home we need to be scoring in the 30's MINIMUM.

All season changing loses for the Owls in recent years. WE have to score in the 20's MINIMUM every road for a better chance to win, our D is always too small and thin to hold scores down very often.

Speed, points and excitement WILL sell tickets though!
Back to the top

Nothing wrong with a long slow drive that puts points on the board and keeps your defense rested and off the field.

We lost two games last season because we couldnt eat up the clock and our opponents could. 
Back to the top

It seems like it's really only possible to be successful with HUNH if you have good depth on defense, which realistically we don't have. These teams that are successful running HUNH are good because they're able to rotate their defensive players into and out of the game so there isn't a dropoff in production due to exhaustion. A lot of times your offense will put the defense back on the field so fast that the defense can't rest and recuperate from the previous drive. Having also gone to Alabama, I have a lot of appreciation for controlling the ball, and eating up the clock.

The problem seems like at our level, most defenses aren't that great, so they get easily exploited by faster offenses. So this is something we should get really good at. I'd happily trade losses to Miami and Florida for the opportunity to exploit more weaker CUSA defenses.
Back to the top

Another thing that frustrates me (and I could just be a jerk), but people always seem to mix up the spread offense and the no huddle offense (HUNH). The spread lends itself to the up-tempo offense, but they're not the same thing.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Another thing that frustrates me (and I could just be a jerk), but people always seem to mix up the spread offense and the no huddle offense (HUNH). The spread lends itself to the up-tempo offense, but they're not the same thing.
Posted On: May 18th 2015, 12:13 PM #345372

You can thank Oregon for that!

:Big-Grin:
Back to the top

Rick said

David Slavic said

Posted On: May 18th 2015, 12:13 PM #345372

You can thank Oregon for that!

:Big-Grin:
Posted On: May 18th 2015, 1:05 PM #345373

Yeah. Thanks, ducks.
Back to the top
Control functions: