Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

How many traditions have we changed/discontinued in the last few years?

Add topic

Looking at some of the comments from the Rat's Mouth Being Moved thread, I realized:

- We now use red over blue, and as a result we don't wear red for rivalry games.
- Yet ironically Bury the Burrow in Red is an afterthought.
- We don't ring the victory bell anymore.
- We don't shoot the cannon anymore either.
- We don't burn an effigy in the Fall bonfire.
- We moved the student section from the south endzone to the north endzone. They also moved the Rat's Mouth with it.
- We changed the helmets from the winged logo to the full Owl, which can't be seen on blue helmets and even on red helmets is very hard to make out on TV. Before you could very easily see the FAU on the helmets and know who we are.

Did I miss any? Even if not, that's a crazy number of things in less than five years.

I guess that leaves us with, what, the Owl Fingers and the 24 hour tailgate? The Cove doesn't count because that was under the current administration.

So what's next for us to lose?

How is this usually handled at other schools, does the Alumni Association have a Traditions Committee that puts pressure on Administrations to maintain their standards throughout the years? Have we not established things worth keeping?
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Looking at some of the comments from the Rat's Mouth Being Moved thread, I realized:

- We now use red over blue, and as a result we don't wear red for rivalry games.
- We moved the student section from the south endzone to the north endzone. They also moved the Rat's Mouth with it.
- We changed the helmets from the winged logo to the full Owl, which can't be seen on blue helmets and even on red helmets is very hard to make out on TV. Before you could very easily see the FAU on the helmets and know who we are.

Did I miss any? Even if not, that's a crazy number of things in less than five years.

I guess that leaves us with, what, the Owl Fingers and the 24 hour tailgate? The Cove doesn't count because that was under the current administration.

How is this usually handled at other schools, does the Alumni Association have a Traditions Committee that puts pressure on Administrations to maintain their standards throughout the years? Have we not established things worth keeping?
Posted On: May 28th 2015, 1:27 AM #345623

That is a good point on that.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Product of turning over leadership and everyone wanting to make their own stamp rather than accept what was started before them.

Can't get away with that at storied programs - which is why they became storied.
Back to the top

Catchphrases are changed yearly. We need to pick a horse and ride it. That's how traditions become traditions.

Let's see, we've had (to name a few):

Football in Paradise (a personal favorite).
Your Home town team.
Between the Palms.
Salute the Hoot.
Bury the Burrow in Red.
Endurance.
Win Today.
Owls Up.
Owl in.

Believe it or not, It's Owl Time, was a phrase back in the day at basketball games.  When they were about to jump the ball at the beginning, the announcer would yell: Owl fans, what time is it? And the crowd would respond with the appropriate answer.  

That's how traditions are built.  We do not have that mechanism built in to perpetuate a tradition.  New people come in and think: that was a stupid idea…here is a great idea.  Then the next guy does the same thing.  Most long-term traditions have some stupidity engrained in them, but when you do it for 100 years no one cares.

At some point at Clemson someone had a brilliant idea and said: hey, let's touch a rock before we run on the field.

At some point someone had a brilliant idea when Indiana played Purdue and said: hey, how about we play for this old oaken bucket.

Those ideas would be laughed at now, but they do them over and over and it becomes something meaningful to those schools.

We have the Shula Bowl. I love the tradition of it.  But we keep changing the helmets on the side to update it.  Put the original helmets from both schools on it and leave it alone.  Every year it looks like the trophy was made the Tuesday before the game. That's because the trophy was made the Tuesday before the game.

Indiana - Purdue is not trotting out an updated orange Home Depot bucket and saying this is what we are plying for this year!

Ok, I'm finished…
Back to the top

fauowl said

Football in Paradise (a personal favorite).
Your Home town team.
Between the Palms.
Salute the Hoot.
Bury the Burrow in Red.
Endurance.
Win Today.
Owls Up.
Owl in.
Posted On: May 28th 2015, 8:24 AM #345627

+

We're on the Move

Red Hot

:Ninja:
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Traditions need to happen organically.  They can be started with an administration ideas, but if they are good they will stick.  If not, move on to the next thing. 
Back to the top

We have about a half a dozen FAU students here at the office where I work, several of them in frats and student government, and one of them works for Pr. Kelly. I ought to ask them why we can't keep a tradition alive more than a few years, since they're the ones that are starting all these new ones, and killing the old ones.
Back to the top
Control functions: