Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What has set us back?

It feels all to long ago when we were witnessing Schnelly hoist back to back bowl championships. What do u guys think has been the biggest set back for the football program? I pin this all on the incompetent leadership of Craig Angelos. From the terrible hire of Carl Pelini to the ineptitude of scheduling, Angelos has set this program back a couple of years and I'm hoping this is the year we break the 6 year no bowl streak. For FAU to truly flourish, the football program HAS to do well. 
Back to the top

LawOwl said

It feels all to long ago when we were witnessing Schnelly hoist back to back bowl championships. What do u guys think has been the biggest set back for the football program? I pin this all on the incompetent leadership of Craig Angelos. From the terrible hire of Carl Pelini to the ineptitude of scheduling, Angelos has set this program back a couple of years and I'm hoping this is the year we break the 6 year no bowl streak. For FAU to truly flourish, the football program HAS to do well. 
Posted On: May 30th 2015, 9:04 AM #345714

1. Angelos' lack of vision.
2. Over-promising on stadium timeline.
3. Pelini's lack of local high school relationships.
4. Lack of academic center and upgraded weight room.
5. Very little history & tradition as a football program.
6. Too many JUCOs in the Pelini era left some gaps that take some time to overcome.

We all know the potential of this program, but to kids all over the state who have no allegiance to FAU, they have lots of choices.

Relationships are so important.  I am impressed by the processes used by this staff for recruiting.  I feel good we are on our way. We need to start getting bowl bids on a regular basis.
Back to the top

fauowl said

LawOwl said

6. Too many JUCOs in the Pelini era left some gaps that take some time to overcome.

We all know the potential of this program, but to kids all over the state who have no allegiance to FAU, they have lots of choices.

Relationships are so important.  I am impressed by the processes used by this staff for recruiting.  I feel good we are on our way. We need to start getting bowl bids on a regular basis.

Posted On: May 30th 2015, 9:47 AM #345715

You are missing the number one thing that set us back and you just don't want to say it.
Howard was n the sidelines two years to long end of story!!!!
Howard's last two recruiting classes were only hitting about 10 percent.
I see Pelini on your list twice yet be was apart of the best team we had in the last 5 years.
I did not like Pelini yet he could coach some D.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

fauowl said

LawOwl said

Posted On: May 30th 2015, 9:47 AM #345715

You are missing the number one thing that set us back and you just don't want to say it.
Howard was n the sidelines two years to long end of story!!!!
Howard's last two recruiting classes were only hitting about 10 percent.
I see Pelini on your list twice yet be was apart of the best team we had in the last 5 years.
I did not like Pelini yet he could coach some D.

Posted On: May 30th 2015, 10:10 AM #345716

I have no problem saying what's on my mind  :)

As far as Pelini, I didn't have a problem with his coaching (other than spiking the ball on 4th down) as much as his program-building.  He won quickly because of the JUCO influence.  That's great for a year. Some of them work out and that's great and there is a time to use them.  I do not believe in building a program that way because it is too risky and you see what can happen. When Charlie took over, more than half of the JUCOs were out of school leaving the gaps we now deal with.   

As far as Howard, I think even he would agree he was coaching at least one year too long.  The stadium delay caused him to stay to see his dream realized.  He deserved that. If it would have taken another year, he would have deserved another year, even if it meant going 0-11.  Howard is the reason we have a football program.  

So I agree on some level. Howard IS the reason we are where we are today.
Back to the top

Howard probably should have stepped back sooner but that is on his staff too - poor recruiting in spite of Bowl victories! The JUCO issue is onl; valid in that we did that for two years - but filled some SERIOUS HOLES - and then QUIT doing that - a HUGE mistake IMHO. Let those holes reappear. ALL the BIG BOYS do it EVERY YEAR! Most of our top players for those two years were JUCOS!
Back to the top

I feel the biggest reason for the set back was the delay in getting the stadium approved and built.
Schnellenberger was able to get great players on the promise of a stadium for a few years. HS players started realizing that this promise wasn't coming true and it might not ever come true. I mean, he was driving visiting recruits to the stadium sight for years to look at some stakes in the ground and tape.

As far as Schnellenberger, he lost a lot when his son died. They spent so much time and energy taking care of him.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

OC40 is the reason for the setback.  The football team had sucess before he became a student.  Now it's all bad, coincidence?   I don't think so the guy is a pretty negative person with bad karma.
Back to the top

Though I havent been around the program as long as some of you, i have to agree with a lot of some of you are saying.

1.) The delay in the getting the stadium built defintley hurt us in terms of recruiting and trying to get more modern facilities. The stadium should have been built after the bowl victories.

2.) Pelini lack of building a relationship with high school coach's right away, but Coach Partridge reputation here in South Florida is starting to repair that damage.

3.) Recruiting and JUCO's will fill holes, but it will take a couple years. I am willing to give Coach Partridge the time to do that. He has been very upfront with us as fans and alumni about that.
Back to the top

In addition to what you guys said:

1) I don't think we've found a QB that can produce like Rusty Smith. Graham Wilbert was showing promise in his final year but his O-line was too green. Melvin German and Stephen Curtis were both busts. Greg Hankerson is apparently an ongoing development project Quez is a good, not great QB. I'm hoping Daniel Parr is The Next Rusty Smith for FAU.

2) Too much coaching turnover in too little of a time. You change things out wholesale every time and the guys get confused. Furthermore, you're recruiting new classes and merging that with older classes that were recruited based on the needs of old systems. It's messy.
Back to the top

I would like him to be the next Jared Allen. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: