Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

Add topic

owl2doc maybe you can answer a couple questions?

1.) How come they don't build the Greek housing on the soccer/athletic fields across the street from the IVA?
2.) The Hotel at the SE corner of the campus, would that be university drive and glades?

Thanks
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

owl2doc maybe you can answer a couple questions?

1.) How come they don't build the Greek housing on the soccer/athletic fields across the street from the IVA?
2.) The Hotel at the SE corner of the campus, would that be university drive and glades?

Thanks
Posted On: Apr 13th 2015, 5:19 PM #344585

I can try!  :)

I think the simplest answer to the first question is that the Henderson school is actively using that as their sports fields even when FAU isn't using it for intramural sports.

The location for Greek housing has been shuffled around a couple times. I've seen Greek housing mentioned for where IVA is now, where IVA Phase 2 is supposed to go west of Parking Garage 3 and in Lot 27 (the new lot south of the new Engineering building). I'm sure it's been elsewhere prior to that. There was even talk at one point of converting UVA into Greek Housing, though that would admittedly be a weird setup.

Personally I wanted to see it go along Indian River Street east of Brevard Court, all the way up to East University Drive; when they straightened Indian River they could rename that road Greek Way or something similar. Unfortunately that probably won't happen because that impinges on that parcel bordering Indian River/Glades/East University Drive where the hotel is supposed to go (previously, the hospital). I haven't heard anything recent on the hotel but I know they haven't given up on it.

The other issue with it being along "Greek Way" as I suggested was that Greek Life wants to be close to the stadium for tailgating purposes. This is understandable but with so much preserve back there, and soon the Schmidt Athletic Complex, space is at a premium there unless they build on Lot 5 (as SG recommends) or builds into the preserve west of Parking Garage 3, which could turn into a PR nightmare. You can just see the headlines from the Palm Beach Post now. There would be a similar outcry I'd imagine if they built south of UVA, though I'm pretty sure at some point they WILL build SOMETHING there. I think FAU is going to build out its academic core bound by the "university drives" and then once they're out of space, they're going to start building on owl habitat. But Greek Housing is still seen in the light of Animal House movies and it would be easy to whip up the public in a frenzy if you build on owl habitat for that purpose.

In Gainesville the Greek houses are facing main streets and that would be interesting to see them face Glades between Brevard court and East University Drive but I doubt FAU would ever pursue that, nor would the City be happy about it. And again, it would be too far from the stadium.

Honestly, Lot 5 is a pretty good location at this point. It's close to the stadium but far enough away from the core of campus to feel like it is its own entity. The land is already paved, which should mean fewer fights about the preserve than cutting into the preserve west of Parking Garage 3.

A new Master Plan should be developed soon and we'll have an updated idea of where they want to put it. They talked about soliciting feedback for it at the Breezeway charette, so it should be in the near future.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Part 2 of the Ritter story is now up under the blogs. About 15 pictures and me rambling like usual. Enjoy!
Back to the top

FAU Diehard Blog - FAU development, news, rumors and photos

link?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

link?
Posted On: Jul 2nd 2015, 8:05 PM #346324

Here ya go.
Back to the top

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Great read Doc. I've seen the Making Waves advertisements in the West Palm Beach airport as well. The University is growing so fast it's incredible
Back to the top

Great stuff Doc! Much appreciated. For an old timer like me, this school and campus is nothing like when I went there and it is impossible to know some of these kind of details by just going to sporting events. It is amazing to see the growth and improvement. Thank you!
Back to the top

@Owl2Doc…thank. I enjoy reading about the changes on campus. Nice to see steady upgrading. Steady improvements. Amazing, when I ask my daughter what is new on campus, she says "oh, nothing". She has been saying that for two years. But today she said that herself and a couple of her girl friends decided to attend some football games this season. Seems a little interest is trickling down to the students that normally don't go. Thanks again.
Back to the top
Control functions: