Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Football center Joe Gold leaves the team

Bad news Owl Fans. Center Joe Gold has left the team according to The Sentinel. He has also withdrawn from FAU. FAU now is thinner at the center position.

“I wanted to quit just because I really didn’t like it there,” Gold said in a telephone interview. “I didn’t like how my life wasn’t my own. I just really had enough of it. I really enjoyed playing in the games. The games were a lot of fun, but 12 days of enjoyment out of 320 is not the best turnover.”

Joe Gold leaves FAU, quits football after demanding year
Back to the top

If his heart is not in it and wants to leave wish him the best and let him go.
Back to the top

Exactly. They have an incredibly rough schedule with two-a-days and team meetings on top of games, travel and class. Can't blame the guy for wanting to live a more normal life.
Back to the top

“I like them as people, but I didn’t agree with a lot of the things they did in the system,” he said. “A lot of it was focused on a lot of negatives. No one ever got praise for positives. I just think they could have done a lot of stuff different.”

Now with an abundance of free time, Gold said he plans to get a job and attend a community college to earn his associate of arts degree.

Sounds like a 19 year old making bad decisions to me…would be willing to bet he regrets this badly down the road.  Lets see how his bosses at part time jobs treat him.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Lets see how his bosses at part time jobs treat him.  
Posted On: Jul 21st 2015, 9:09 AM #346577

Fries down!

Back to the top

I had a friend who played D-1 college football and he quit to.  He loves football to this day and he loved playing it in high school.  But when he got to college the fun went away because it was like a job.  The demands of class, working out, practices, the physical and mental fatigue. etc. really wore him down.  I think most of us who never experienced being a college athlete have any idea what the demands really are.

Good luck to you Joe, I am surprise more kids don't stop playing.
Back to the top

I feel weird saying this but I agree with Guest. Unless you will be playing on Sunday, playing a college sport for tuition and board sucks. The schedule sucks. The work sucks. It just sucks. Joe is a good kid and joking about his part time job is not needed. Most kids have part time jobs while going to school. I wish him the best and I know this decision was not easy or quickly made.He will be fine and so will FAU.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I feel weird saying this but I agree with Guest.
Posted On: Jul 21st 2015, 4:54 PM #346583

Which one?

There are many…

For now.

Soon, they will have to declare a name…

:Ninja:

Back to the top

Rick said

Local Owl said

I feel weird saying this but I agree with Guest.

Which one?

There are many…

For now.

Soon, they will have to declare a name…

:Ninja:

Posted On: Jul 21st 2015, 6:49 PM #346586

I am going to quote my inner geek here. "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few."
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I feel weird saying this but I agree with Guest. Unless you will be playing on Sunday, playing a college sport for tuition and board sucks. The schedule sucks. The work sucks. It just sucks. Joe is a good kid and joking about his part time job is not needed. Most kids have part time jobs while going to school. I wish him the best and I know this decision was not easy or quickly made.He will be fine and so will FAU.

Most part time jobs when you're in college suck…what is "not needed"?  He basically states he quit because he wanted more positive reinforcement.  My point is, wait until you get to the real world of real bosses and crappy jobs with long hours and bosses that dont compliment you every day.

Most people look back at playing college football as the best times of thier lives…at least the friends I have that played do.  

Has nothing to do on whether he is a good kid or not, but I think leaving FAU as a scholarship athlete to move home with mom and dad and go to community college because coaches demand excellence is a 19 year old decision…that I would bet he will regret.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top