Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UM Rivalry

I don't know if anybody feels the same, but I think the UM series should develop into some kind of rivalry due to the Schnelly connection and South Florida recruiting implications. Maybe we should make a trophy, like a pipe or something.  Any thoughts?
Back to the top

While that would be nice for the attendance boost and ESPN coverage, I think realistically we'd run into the same issue that FIU has trying to start a rivalry with UM - namely, that UM (and their fans) don't care because beating us doesn't mean anything to them other than a loss would have been embarassing.

(As a side note, FIU/UM is scheduled to reignite their series in 2018/2019 and maybe that will turn into something because of the proximity but I'm not sure. I hesitate to call anything a rivalry when there hasn't been at least a decade of games)

The Schnellenberger connection is a tenuous reason for a rivalry; it's not like Schnellenberger left them at their height and then came here and started winning national championships instead (you know, an Urban Meyer situation). We didn't steal him away at a critical moment.

That said, I think FAU/FIU will become a bigger thing every decade because of the conference affiliation and we're already trying to knock each other out of bowl eligibility every year and that's the biggest thing for both our teams right now.

Similarly, FAU/MTSU and FAU/WKU could become bigger rivalries for the same reason.

As a side note, FAU/Troy was starting to become a thing and now that we've moved to CUSA we haven't played them… would be interested to watch them come to FAU Stadium, if only for nostalgia sake. I could see that being a good game.
Back to the top

I hope that a win can start something interesting, like if losing a winnable game to us means they don't become bowl eligible. Also, we are yet to see results on the field, but we've already seen UM going after two of our recruits so I'm guessing we can become an uncomfortable school to have in "their backyard". 
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

As a side note, FAU/Troy was starting to become a thing and now that we've moved to CUSA we haven't played them… would be interested to watch them come to FAU Stadium, if only for nostalgia sake. I could see that being a good game.
Posted On: Jul 28th 2015, 1:42 AM #346715

It would be the same as the argument that you were making in how UM fairs when playing us. Troy is a shadow if their former selves. That JUCO pipeline technicality being taken away from them has REALLY hurt.

Although, the Orlando Sentinel did rank them ahead of us for 2015…

:Laughing:
Back to the top

Not sure what UM's incentive would be for a rivalry
Back to the top

owlmart said

Not sure what UM's incentive would be for a rivalry
Posted On: Jul 28th 2015, 9:40 AM #346725

+1

UM has nothing to gain by playing us, unfortunately.
Back to the top

The only it becomes a true rivalry is if we win one of the two remaining games we have scheduled and play them tough (and hopefully win?) in the other. If UM wins both games as many believe to be the case, we're still just the "little brother"
Back to the top

Rick said

owl2Doc said

Posted On: Jul 28th 2015, 1:42 AM #346715

It would be the same as the argument that you were making in how UM fairs when playing us. Troy is a shadow if their former selves. That JUCO pipeline technicality being taken away from them has REALLY hurt.

Although, the Orlando Sentinel did rank them ahead of us for 2015…

:Laughing:
Posted On: Jul 28th 2015, 9:15 AM #346723

Oh I agree. I know they have shrunk back down. I'm just saying one game might be interesting.

Back to the top
Control functions: