Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Schnellenberger to Open Sports Restaurant on 20th Street

USMCOWL said

Maybe Ken could do the coach's show from there.
Posted On: Jul 9th 2015, 9:25 PM #346429

The coach's shows are about sponsorships, so I think it is a good fit obviously, but it is not about doing a show because it makes sense. They do the show there because someone paid to sponsor the show.  I know Howard will want to do that. But they may already have a deal in place with someone else especially since Howard's may not be open in time this year.
Back to the top

fauowl said

USMCOWL said

Maybe Ken could do the coach's show from there.
Posted On: Jul 9th 2015, 9:25 PM #346429

The coach's shows are about sponsorships, so I think it is a good fit obviously, but it is not about doing a show because it makes sense. They do the show there because someone paid to sponsor the show.  I know Howard will want to do that. But they may already have a deal in place with someone else especially since Howard's may not be open in time this year.
Posted On: Jul 9th 2015, 10:26 PM #346430

Very true. You going to try to get on the VIP list for the grand opening. lol.
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

I believe we have an annual marketing contract with a company to do sports marketing but not sure how extensive it is…
Posted On: Jul 9th 2015, 6:07 PM #346425

The primary function of the outside company (Learfield Sports & Rebranded as Florida Atlantic Sports Properties) is to acquire sponsorships from businesses. This effort is so much more improved from just a few years ago. It has been a pleasure to work with these guys.  They work with businesses of all sizes and create a marketing plan for your budget and work to ensure the sponsor is getting value.

When the stadium first opened in the Angelos years, this external piece was a disaster. First of all, they were charging sponsorship fees like we were contenders for the SEC Championship. They were outrageous. There was no attempt to bring value to a sponsor which is why we saw new sponsors every year. Old sponsors rarely renewed so they were always chasing.  There was no creativity to build plans for small business so they were virtually shut out.

The growth of this portion of the program in the past couple of years has been tremendous. The most difficult part for these new guys must be to clean up the mess that was created with a lot of local businesses.

Back to the top

Howard stopped by today and wanted to take me to lunch. I didn't know he was coming so I had no one to take over for me. So he went next door and bought some food, and we made a table out of boxes and sat in the middle of the store and had lunch (bottom left). haha. He is awesome.

I did take the opportunity to ask him about his restaurant. As you enter "plum plaza" it will be the first business on the left. He has 4000 sq feet inside, and they will have 2000 sq feet outside in a patio area. He calls it a steakhouse & Sports Theatre. It will be "upscale." Steaks, Salmon, Crab, etc. I asked about hamburgers. He said he would have them but that is not his target. He said he would be happy to host coaches show there (but that doesn't mean they will). He says he wants to have it ready before the end of the year.

There is now a banner facing 20th Street on his business where the patio area will be (bottom right, photo from Howard Schnellenberger).

Howard at lunch and Banner

Back to the top

This guy is a Legend!  To see him being so personable and just chill is awesome.  You're fortunate to have a great relationship with him to where he would come in and eat off of cardboard boxes. :cool:
Back to the top

fauowl said

Howard stopped by today and wanted to take me to lunch. I didn't know he was coming so I had no one to take over for me. So he went next door and bought some food, and we made a table out of boxes and sat in the middle of the store and had lunch (bottom left). haha. He is awesome.

I did take the opportunity to ask him about his restaurant. As you enter "plum plaza" it will be the first business on the left. He has 4000 sq feet inside, and they will have 2000 sq feet outside in a patio area. He calls it a steakhouse & Sports Theatre. It will be "upscale." Steaks, Salmon, Crab, etc. I asked about hamburgers. He said he would have them but that is not his target. He said he would be happy to host coaches show there (but that doesn't mean they will). He says he wants to have it ready before the end of the year.

There is now a banner facing 20th Street on his business where the patio area will be (bottom right, photo from Howard Schnellenberger).

Howard at lunch and Banner

Posted On: Jul 29th 2015, 1:27 PM #346766

I don't k ow how much Howard has to do with the theme, but I hate the idea of upscale.
Sounds like another over priced Boca restaurant. Why out price 75 percent of the people who live within 2 miles of you.
Someone tell me why the average Boca resident will attend will go to the restaurant over Max's, Mortons, or Ruth Chris? On a random Tuesday night the people with the $$ to go get crab legs in this town are not heading to 20th street.
That's the night they need to be pushing 50 cent wings with some a NBA/MLB game on. 
Just cause you have a name doesn't mean your business will make it here. Everyone remember Dawyne Wades place on Dixie and Galdes? 
Back to the top

For once, I agree…

This is a bad move, IMHO.

Make it that way two nights a week, but the area is not noted for "upscale" eateries.

Quite the opposite, it is a blue collar, working class, student oriented landscape.
Back to the top

Rick said

For once, I agree…

Make it that way two nights a week, but the area is not noted for "upscale" eateries.

Quite the opposite, it is a blue collar, working class, student oriented landscape.
Posted On: Jul 29th 2015, 2:19 PM #346769

"Quite the opposite, it is a blue collar, working class, student oriented landscape."

Im not so sure that area will stay that way, I would bet it will look a lot different in that area in 3-5 years.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Rick said

For once, I agree…

Posted On: Jul 29th 2015, 2:19 PM #346769

This is what's going to happen. The place will struggle for 6 months. 
Then they will be like hey we need to attract college kids.
Then they will over compensate and start brining in crapy DJ's on week nights the place will be filled with underagers and still won't make money o pay for the amount they are about to dump into this place and will be out of business is 18 months.
This has happen with at least 10 places in Boca since I started at FAU.
Back to the top

Mark, REALLY COOL he came by and had lunch with ya IN YOUR STORE!

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with the others though, upscale (expensive) will keep FAU students away and makes it NOT sound like a good pre or post game stop - not dressed appropriately, too sweaty & smelly, too loud for "upscale".

Give it some thought Coach, maybe the idea of different "styles" on different days or hours will work.
Back to the top
Control functions: