Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU tops in CUSA for Cost of attendance.

2015-16 CBS Sports FBS college football cost of attendance database - CBSSports.com

CONFERENCE USA 2015-16 COST OF ATTENDANCE
SCHOOL HIGHEST AVG. NEW COST / SCHOLARSHIP ESTIMATED NEW COSTS STATE
Florida Atlantic* $6,060 $300,000^ Florida
Florida International $6,000 Not offering until 2016 Florida
UAB* $5,668 Not offering until 2016 Alabama
North Texas* $3,982 Did not provide Texas
Southern Miss $3,970 Undecided it offering Mississippi
Texas-El Paso $3,216 $655,099 Texas
Old Dominion $2,900 Not offering in 2015 Virginia
Charlotte* $2,892 $220,000 North Carolina
Texas-San Antonio $2,506 Not offering until 2016 Texas
Marshall $2,000 $500,000 West Virginia
Louisiana Tech Did not provide Not offering in 2015 Louisiana
Middle Tennessee Did not provide Did not provide Tennessee
Rice Declined to provide Declined to provide Texas
Western Kentucky Did not provide Not offering in 2015 Tennessee

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

To add to OwlFamily, we're not just #1 in CUSA; we have the second highest COA for 2015 in the nation. We're behind Cincy.
Back to the top

Jack David Whidden III said

To add to OwlFamily, we're not just #1 in CUSA; we have the second highest COA for 2015 in the nation. We're behind Cincy.
Posted On: Aug 20th 2015, 8:31 PM #347439

So what does this really mean? That our students can get the second largest financial aid package? Is this an empty stat or does it mean something? Or is this one of those "we are #2 in something, but we don't know if it means anything"!!
Back to the top

The CBS page states that the first column represents "the highest average additional dollar amount that a school's athletes could receive in 2015-16 due to the NCAA's new COA definition, according to figures schools provided to CBS Sports."

…meaning how much a school could offer as a scholarship? In that case, isn't it BETTER to have a higher number?

Or am I reading that wrong?

Because otherwise you have to talk about general Cost of Attendance to attend School X versus School Y, which is more relevant to non-athletes than athletes since they're paying for it.

For what it's worth, FAU's actual Cost of Attendance page shows that tuition and fees for the year for an undergraduate Florida resident are 22,856 overall, of which 5,432  is actual tuition. The biggest number is actually Room & Board at 11,748 (on-campus housing) and a similar number for off-campus, which is a product of A) FAU having to pay off the loan/make profits on new dorms and B) living in Boca Raton, which admittedly is not the cheapest place to live.

one of the things that Financial Aid explained to me over the years is that they set their Cost of Attendance high to meet the highest scenario but that's not necessarily what the average student needs. It just makes more sense for them to set it high and you take less than set it low and the students can't get what they need.

That being said, I thought it was highly unlikely that Marshall students are only paying $2000 for the same 9 month window (one year, or two semesters) that FAU is calculating $5,432 for, so I checked into their actual Cost of Attendance here and guess what… it shows $6,914 as "annual figures" of tuition&fees for a resident.

By that token it actually costs MORE to attend Marshall than FAU so it's worse if the situation is that Marshall can only offer $2,000 of that $6,914 to their athletes.
Back to the top

Higher is better,

Basically it means that if a student athlete attends FAU they can get paid $6,060 to THEM. I dont know the breakdown or how. So this could be a huge recruiting advantage to those kids who are on the fence between riding the pine at a P5 school or starting at FAU. Cash in hand is a huge incentive to everyone and could make the difference to a person on the fence.

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

OwlFamily said

Higher is better,

Basically it means that if a student athlete attends FAU they can get paid $6,060 to THEM. I dont know the breakdown or how. So this could be a huge recruiting advantage to those kids who are on the fence between riding the pine at a P5 school or starting at FAU. Cash in hand is a huge incentive to everyone and could make the difference to a person on the fence.
Posted On: Aug 21st 2015, 6:30 AM #347446

It looks like the schools can set the price. That seems fishy to me. There must be more to this as far as parameters of how it is determined.  Why wouldn't the P5 schools with all the money, set it high and "buy" their athletes?
Back to the top

Probably has to do with the cost of living in Boca. It's a little cheaper in live in Gainesville than it is in Boca for example. 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Probably has to do with the cost of living in Boca. It's a little cheaper in live in Gainesville than it is in Boca for example. 
Posted On: Aug 21st 2015, 7:11 AM #347449

The cost of living is more in the Northeast and in California. Tuition is a lot more in the Northeast. So many new students are coming to FAU from the Northeast and paying out-of-state tuition and it is still cheaper.

On the surface, none of this makes sense to me. Probably more details to come…
Back to the top

It has been estimated that the full cost of attendance expansion, which would provide above the currently covered room, board, books, tuition and fees to include “transportation and other expenses,” will add $1,800 to $5,000 to the value of each scholarship.

The reason the amounts will vary is that expenses vary from school to school. For example, cost of living varies in different regions of the country. The actual scholarship value will be determined by each school’s financial aid office.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

The reason the amounts will vary is that expenses vary from school to school. For example, cost of living varies in different regions of the country. The actual scholarship value will be determined by each school’s financial aid office.
Posted On: Aug 21st 2015, 9:45 AM #347455

So are you saying, based on this information, it costs more to go to FAU than it does to go to Stanford?  :Thinking:
Back to the top
Control functions: