Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Visiting from the UK for the Miami game- Advice/Help Needed

Hello guys/girls.

We're about to partake on a mammoth sports tour of Florida over the next couple of weeks, coming from England and visiting Miami, Boca Raton and then finally Jacksonville.

One of our party is a Dolphins fan so we're heading there Thursday, and finishing with the Jags-Panthers game as I'm a big Panther fan and will be getting to see them play live for the first time.

We're also coming up to Boca Raton on the 11th for your game against Miami. We have hotel and transport all sorted and ready, but I still don't know much about the area, how gameday works, and getting all your opinion on what we should be doing on gameday would be fantastic! It all sounds like it's going to be a great 'derby' game and we're all excited to be going to our first on-campus College Football match in the USA!

We always spend the Saturday in Boca Raton before heading up to Jacksonville, so again if you can suggest anything for us to be doing that'd be much appreciated!

As I said, any advice or tips are more than welcome. If I do end up meeting any of you in Boca Raton then great, but if not look out for our Union Jack!
Cheers!
Back to the top

Here is a HUGE thread for food considerations:

Favorite food places in Boca - Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Back to the top

@Big Ben…depending on how long you plan on being in Boca, on the next evening , Saturday, I highly recommend a short drive north ( ten minutes) to Delray's Atlantic Avenue. A concentrated area of outstanding eateries and drinkeries. If  drinkeries is even a word. Everything is within walking distance once you arrive. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

@Big Ben…depending on how long you plan on being in Boca, on the next evening , Saturday, I highly recommend a short drive north ( ten minutes) to Delray's Atlantic Avenue. A concentrated area of outstanding eateries and drinkeries. If  drinkeries is even a word. Everything is within walking distance once you arrive. You will not be disappointed. Enjoy.
Posted On: Aug 30th 2015, 3:26 PM #347613

Thanks Rick, will have a read through both of those!

Cheers LO, we're in Boca most of Saturday, leaving in the evening so have most of the day to do something. Will have a look at that and try fit it into our plans, cheers. Will be nice to have a stroll around campus and see how it compares to the Universities here.
Back to the top

Anytime, welcome to the forum!
Back to the top

First and foremost, welcome to the forum and we hope you enjoy your time in the Sunshine State! Our stadium is beach-themed and frankly very impressive considering its size. We are very proud of what is - in our opinion - the best non-professional football stadium in South Florida. We hope you agree.

===================================================

GAMEDAY

Gameday against Miami will be interesting. The campus will be closing down (per the FAU President's blog) at 1 pm in preparation for the traffic.

You can find the main Gameday site HERE.

Tailgating specific info is HERE, but here are the highlights:

- Historically they allow tailgating four hours prior to kickoff (8 pm), meaning 4 pm.

- Parking is $15/vehicle.

- Tailgating is whatever lot you can find it, though certain lots are closed off for season ticket holders at different levels, obviously. Campus police will direct you to the right lot. For instance, you should be okay in the Palm Beach State College lot and the lots in front of the Charles E. Schmidt Biomedical Sciences (med school) building and in front of the Business and Education buildings. The parking garage next to the stadium will be impossible, as may be Lot 5 directly north of the stadium, so I wouldn't bother there.

- That being said, this game is a near sell-out and don't be surprised if the good spots fill up quickly and you have to tailgate on the east (by College of Nursing) and west sides (by FAU Arena) of campus.

- FAU fans obviously wear red and blue and Miami wears orange and green, depending on your preference. You should prefer red and blue :Winking: Rumor is FAU may be going with all red uniforms if that sways you in any way. If you wanna check out some FAU gear near campus, visit our friend Mark at It's Owl Time on 20th Street directly east of campus.

- Food options at the stadium (it changes so forgive me if I don't have a complete list) include Subway, pizza, hotdogs/italian sausage, pulled pork sandwiches, shaved ice, frozen lemonade, pretzels, dippin dots, possibly arepas, possible tex-mex.

- Alcohol should be available at all levels of the stadium, though the beer selection will likely be limited for the majority of the stadium. I think they were selling frozen drinks over in the southeast corner of the stadium ("The Cove", looks like a small beach)

BEFORE THE GAME

For breakfast I'd highly recommend Tom Sayer's near campus or, if you want to eat near the beach, snag a table outside of The Boca Beach House (try the homefries).

If you just want to grab something to go, check out Rhino Doughnuts and Coffee at the south end of Mizner Park (afterward you could wander around Mizner Park a little bit but honestly it's just an outdoor mall so you'll probably be done with it in about 20 minutes).

For lunch I'd recommend LaSpada's Hoagies (5 minutes away by the mall) or Community Table (near campus). Other popular spots (among my friends) include Missippi Sweets (which again is at the stadium), Biergarten (German restaurant), Ninja Spinning Sushi, The Rebel House and The Gluttinous Goat.

If you want to pregame/drink some local craft beers, check out the Funky Buddha Brewery about 5 minutes from campus on Federal Highway. That's the "big name" in craft beers in our part of South Florida.

Beyond that you have the typical options of beach, bowling, mall, movie theater in Boca Raton, and there's really nothing to do west of the Boca Town Centre mall, so stay in "East Boca".

A big draw for most visitors here is the beach and Spanish River beach (take Spanish River Blvd east towards the beach and parallel park after the bridge) is a pretty good one. If you head a little south on A1A (the road parallel to the beach) you'll find a small free Nature Center called Gumbo Limbo that has some fish tanks, sea turtles and such. If you don't want to commit to actually swimming or walking the beach because you don't want to get hot/wet before the game, there's a nice quiet free boardwalk among the mangroves at the north entrance of John Rutherford Park behind CVS on North Federal Highway and NE 24th Street (part of the Fifth Avenue Shoppes)

Hope that helps!
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Rumor is FAU may be going with all red uniforms if that sways you in any way. If you wanna check out some FAU gear near campus, visit our friend Mark at "http://www.itsowltime.com/" on 20th Street directly east of campus.
Thanks Doc, for the shout out!!

@ben_hall, we have some unique gear that you will not find anywhere else…if you are going to be a FAU fan. See below. This is part of our FAU Heritage Collection. It lets you support a couple of things at one time. We do not keep these in stock for obvious reasons, so if interested give us several days notice and we can have these created in our store. It is going to be crazy in our store in the next 12 days so we will need some notice.

Go Owls!

Welcome to the forum.

FAU Heritage UK
Back to the top

owl2Doc said

First and foremost, welcome to the forum and we hope you enjoy your time in the Sunshine State! Our stadium is beach-themed and frankly very impressive considering its size. We are very proud of what is - in our opinion - the best non-professional football stadium in South Florida. We hope you agree.

GAMEDAY

Gameday against Miami will be interesting. The campus will be closing down (per the FAU President's blog) at 1 pm in preparation for the traffic.

You can find the main Gameday site HERE.

Tailgating specific info is HERE, but here are the highlights:

- Historically they allow tailgating four hours prior to kickoff (8 pm), meaning 4 pm.

- Parking is $15/vehicle.

- Tailgating is whatever lot you can find it, though certain lots are closed off for season ticket holders at different levels, obviously. Campus police will direct you to the right lot. For instance, you should be okay in the Palm Beach State College lot and the lots in front of the Charles E. Schmidt Biomedical Sciences (med school) building and in front of the Business and Education buildings. The parking garage next to the stadium will be impossible, as may be Lot 5 directly north of the stadium, so I wouldn't bother there.

- That being said, this game is a near sell-out and don't be surprised if the good spots fill up quickly and you have to tailgate on the east (by College of Nursing) and west sides (by FAU Arena) of campus.

- FAU fans obviously wear red and blue and Miami wears orange and green, depending on your preference. You should prefer red and blue :Winking: Rumor is FAU may be going with all red uniforms if that sways you in any way. If you wanna check out some FAU gear near campus, visit our friend Mark at It's Owl Time on 20th Street directly east of campus.

- Food options at the stadium (it changes so forgive me if I don't have a complete list) include Subway, pizza, hotdogs/italian sausage, pulled pork sandwiches, shaved ice, frozen lemonade, pretzels, dippin dots, possibly arepas, possible tex-mex.

- Alcohol should be available at all levels of the stadium, though the beer selection will likely be limited for the majority of the stadium. I think they were selling frozen drinks over in the southeast corner of the stadium ("The Cove", looks like a small beach)

BEFORE THE GAME

For breakfast I'd highly recommend Tom Sayer's near campus or, if you want to eat near the beach, snag a table outside of The Boca Beach House (try the homefries).

If you just want to grab something to go, check out Rhino Doughnuts and Coffee at the south end of Mizner Park (afterward you could wander around Mizner Park a little bit but honestly it's just an outdoor mall so you'll probably be done with it in about 20 minutes).

For lunch I'd recommend LaSpada's Hoagies (5 minutes away by the mall) or Community Table (near campus). Other popular spots (among my friends) include Missippi Sweets (which again is at the stadium), Biergarten (German restaurant), Ninja Spinning Sushi, The Rebel House and The Gluttinous Goat.

If you want to pregame/drink some local craft beers, check out the Funky Buddha Brewery about 5 minutes from campus on Federal Highway. That's the "big name" in craft beers in our part of South Florida.

Beyond that you have the typical options of beach, bowling, mall, movie theater in Boca Raton, and there's really nothing to do west of the Boca Town Centre mall, so stay in "East Boca".

A big draw for most visitors here is the beach and Spanish River beach (take Spanish River Blvd east towards the beach and parallel park after the bridge) is a pretty good one. If you head a little south on A1A (the road parallel to the beach) you'll find a small free Nature Center called Gumbo Limbo that has some fish tanks, sea turtles and such. If you don't want to commit to actually swimming or walking the beach because you don't want to get hot/wet before the game, there's a nice quiet free boardwalk among the mangroves at the north entrance of John Rutherford Park behind CVS on North Federal Highway and NE 24th Street (part of the Fifth Avenue Shoppes)

Hope that helps!
Posted On: Aug 30th 2015, 5:43 PM #347616

You should why you are here before they close down the campus for the game is maybe take a little tour of the campus. It is a beautiful campus to tour. I suggest maybe doing that as well.
Back to the top

^^^^

Campus is shutting down at 1pm that Friday.  Highly doubt anyone will be around or available for a tour.
Back to the top
Control functions: