Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

COUNTDOWN to 2015 Football Season

6 days until FAU Football kicks off!

Some former Owls who wore #6: Frantz Simeon, Darian Thomas, and Demetrius Williamson.

Simeon was a Wide Receiver from Lake Park, FL (Palm Beach Gardens HS). First team all-County in HS. In 2005, played his first collegiate game against Kansas and had 4 catches for 31 yards and a TD. Played every game in 2006, and led the team with 35 catches for 590 yards.

Thomas was a Defensive Back from Duval, FL (First Coast HS). Named all-conference in HS. In 2008, picked up a blocked extra point attempt and returned it the length of the field for 2 points against North Texas. Saw playing time in the Motor City Bowl.

Williamson was a Defensive Back from Daytona Beach (Spruce Creek HS). Named first team all-district and all-conference in HS. recorded his first collegiate tackle against Troy in 2009. In 2011, played in 12 games, starting all but one. Had two games that year with nine tackles. Credited with a pass break up at Florida.

Williamson on the field...

Demetrius Williamson FAU

Back to the top

5 days until FAU Football kicks off!

Some former Owls who wore #5: Doug Parker, Danny Embick, Tavious Polo, and Martin Wright.

Parker was a RB from Delray Beach (Atlantic HS). Member of the first class in football history. In the inaugural year of 2001, led all rushing categories and led the team in scoring with 54 points.

Embick was a QB from Jupiter (Dwyer HS). Transfer student, played in 10 games in the playoff year of 2003. Ended the season completing 30 of 37 passes and no INTs with his longest pass of 49 yards.

Polo was a DB from Fort Lauderdale (South Plantation HS). All Broward County in HS. Had 3 tackles in the New Orleans Bowl. Named nation's Defensive Player of the week (Sept. 17, 2007). In 2008, played in every game. Had 7 tackles in the Motor City Bowl.

Wright was a Defensive End from Miami (Booker T. Washington HS), originally committed to the Gators. In 2013, played in every game with at least one tackle in every game. Set the FAU single game sacks record with 4.5 sacks against FIU.

Polo (L) on the field, and Wright (R) in for a visit.

Tavious Polo and Martin Wright FAU
Back to the top

That's quite a crew for #5.
Back to the top

How could you not love Tavious Polo after his Minnesota performance… he had a breakthrough year in 2007 with 7 interceptions and then the coaches said, "What you're doing is great, how about we tweak it" and then by 2009 (his final season) he only had one interception (albeit a pick-six). He had plenty of tackles though, but obviously interceptions are the real game changers.

I feel like that's happened with a couple of players. They start out strong, coaches adjust them, and then suddenly you don't hear as much about them anymore. Are we really doing the best thing for the team by neutering our standout players?

For instance, what happened to Dukes? Via the FAUSPORTS site:

2013: "Played all twelve games and totaled 553 receiving yards on 35 receptions"

vs

2014: "Ended his final season with seven starts and 12 games played… recorded 15 receptions for a total of 259 yards and one TD"

As an aside, the first line of his 2014 highlights says, "Had her first catch of the season." Caitlyn Dukes, everybody.
Back to the top

It's not our coaches that make the adjustments, it's the other coaches.  In 2007 Polo played opposite Corey Small who I'd argue was one of the top 3 CBs we've ever had, so Minny threw the ball toward the freshman on our team and he stood out. 

Same thing happened with Djoun, breakout Jr season and then they stopped throwing his way.
Back to the top

Can't talk about Polo without this pic 
Back to the top

teambeer said

It's not our coaches that make the adjustments, it's the other coaches.  In 2007 Polo played opposite Corey Small who I'd argue was one of the top 3 CBs we've ever had, so Minny threw the ball toward the freshman on our team and he stood out. 

Same thing happened with Djoun, breakout Jr season and then they stopped throwing his way.
Posted On: Aug 31st 2015, 6:38 PM #347638

+1
Back to the top

teambeer said

Posted On: Aug 31st 2015, 6:38 PM #347638

Exactly what happened…dont expect Crevon to have a lot of INT's this year.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Hmm. Because I remember reading - and I don't know where now - that the coaches intentionally moved Polo further off his man at the start of the play because when he went for interceptions and missed, he got burned because he's now behind the guy and having to chase him. So in essence they would prefer that the receiver caught it and Polo made the tackle for only short gains.

Oh well. Doesn't matter.
Back to the top

It was Schnelley...along with the fact that he said he was the benefactor of being in the right place at the right time (same thing), which never really materialized afterwards as well.
Back to the top
Control functions: