Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference shake ups continue

Add topic

voss749 said

Brandon Kirby-Wolverlora Simon said

Jack David Whidden III said

Coastal Carolina will announce later this afternoon that the Chats will be joining the Sun Belt in 2017. This brings the SBC to the magical number of 12 members. While the SBC has two members who do not play football (UALR and UTA) they have two football only members (New Mexico State and Idaho). Coastal is located just outside of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; bringing the number of FBS members in the Palmetto State to three, alongside Clemson and USC). CCU has a bit over 10,000 students, making them one of the smaller football playing members in the SBC, ahead of only ULM. This will give Georgia Southern and App State a solid travel partner.

This is a solid pick up for the SBC. Their other options were Eastern Kentucky or extending full membership to NMSU. I predicted the Sun Belt of showing Idaho the door by 2017 (similar to what the MAC is doing with UMass) and extending full membership to NMSU and CCU. Goes to show, you'll never know what will happen with conference realignment.
Posted On: Sep 1st 2015, 12:25 PM #347651
 this is a horrible pick up. No fans, no media market, no tradition, no commitment, wow jack, really disappointed in you on this one. Way t drop the ball.

Posted On: Sep 1st 2015, 12:45 PM #347652
Dude relax it doesnt effect us were not in the sun belt anymore, we are in conference USA.
Posted On: Sep 1st 2015, 6:30 PM #347658

I agree with Jack here, Coastal is a nice conference pickup who project to develop over the next few years. They have funds to expand their current stadium and have always been competitive out of the FCS in the team's short history. Will they win six games out of the gate in 2017? No guarantees, but Old Dominion did in 2014 after coming out of the championship. If you want to go with a Sun Belt team, Georgia Southern was a dangerous 9-3 in their initial FBS season. Coastal also evens things out geographically in terms of travel and divisions.

Brandon, I honestly don't get the hate. Forget about all that rah-rah malarkey. The team was started in 2003, they're not going to have tradition yet. FAU doesn't really have tradition yet and I invite you to brag about our student "dedication" to the team. We're not in a place to judge another team's longevity.
Back to the top

Coastal Carolina's future is infinitely brighter than say NMSU or Idaho…just based on geographic location.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Coastal Carolina's future is infinitely brighter than say NMSU or Idaho…just based on geographic location.
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2015, 9:02 AM #347676

Agree with that Walty, WAY better fit than IDAHO!
Back to the top

Conference shake ups continue

Idaho, definitely. New Mexico State's, their potential are a lot closer than you may think.
Back to the top

RyanLynch77 said

voss749 said

Coastal Carolina will announce later this afternoon that the Chats will be joining the Sun Belt in 2017. This brings the SBC to the magical number of 12 members. While the SBC has two members who do not play football (UALR and UTA) they have two football only members (New Mexico State and Idaho). Coastal is located just outside of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; bringing the number of FBS members in the Palmetto State to three, alongside Clemson and USC). CCU has a bit over 10,000 students, making them one of the smaller football playing members in the SBC, ahead of only ULM. This will give Georgia Southern and App State a solid travel partner.

This is a solid pick up for the SBC. Their other options were Eastern Kentucky or extending full membership to NMSU. I predicted the Sun Belt of showing Idaho the door by 2017 (similar to what the MAC is doing with UMass) and extending full membership to NMSU and CCU. Goes to show, you'll never know what will happen with conference realignment.
Posted On: Sep 1st 2015, 12:25 PM #347651
 this is a horrible pick up. No fans, no media market, no tradition, no commitment, wow jack, really disappointed in you on this one. Way t drop the ball.

Posted On: Sep 1st 2015, 12:45 PM #347652
Dude relax it doesnt effect us were not in the sun belt anymore, we are in conference USA.
Posted On: Sep 1st 2015, 6:30 PM #347658

I agree with Jack here, Coastal is a nice conference pickup who project to develop over the next few years. They have funds to expand their current stadium and have always been competitive out of the FCS in the team's short history. Will they win six games out of the gate in 2017? No guarantees, but Old Dominion did in 2014 after coming out of the championship. If you want to go with a Sun Belt team, Georgia Southern was a dangerous 9-3 in their initial FBS season. Coastal also evens things out geographically in terms of travel and divisions.

Brandon, I honestly don't get the hate. Forget about all that rah-rah malarkey. The team was started in 2003, they're not going to have tradition yet. FAU doesn't really have tradition yet and I invite you to brag about our student "dedication" to the team. We're not in a place to judge another team's longevity.
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2015, 8:52 AM #347671
I was standing next to jack when I posted that. He asked me too. It was a joke, but would have lost its valor if I posted in red font
Back to the top

I was standing next to jack when I posted that. He asked me too. It was a joke, but would have lost its valor if I posted in red font
Posted On: Sep 3rd 2015, 4:43 PM #347737

Ah, I see. Point still stands about the realignment, minus my missing the joke.
Back to the top

Idaho, definitely. New Mexico State's, their potential are a lot closer than you may think.
Posted On: Sep 2nd 2015, 7:13 PM #347702

I think recruiting in New Mexico is much tougher than Carolina off the beach.  I am not that familiar with NMSU football program to be honest.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Wasn't there a story last year about the greatest qb in New Mexico high school state history who couldn't get a look at a college because no coaches go there to find talent largely because it's so bad? 
Back to the top

teambeer said

Wasn't there a story last year about the greatest qb in New Mexico high school state history who couldn't get a look at a college because no coaches go there to find talent largely because it's so bad? 
Posted On: Sep 4th 2015, 3:59 PM #347776

I remember that story about a kid in Montana, not sure about NM
Back to the top

owlmart said

teambeer said

Posted On: Sep 4th 2015, 3:59 PM #347776
I remember that story about a kid in Montana, not sure about NM

Posted On: Sep 5th 2015, 8:35 AM #347784

There was a kid up in Palm Beach who wasn't getting any attention even though he was throwing up amazing numbers.  I don't think living in a state will prevent you from getting looked at it.  If you aren't good enough, the system most of the time figures it out.
Back to the top
Control functions: