Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Miami @ FAU Game Thread - September 11, 2015

Add topic

The Matchup: Miami (1-0) vs. FAU (0-1)

When: Friday, September 11th, 8:00 PM

Where: FAU Stadium

Weather: Current Conditions @ FAU Stadium

The Series: Miami leads 1-0, this will be the 2nd of three contracted meetings.

Hurricanes Team Site

Game Information:

TV: Fox Sports 1

Live Video: None

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Stats: Here

Back to the top

The Owls open as 16.5 point underdogs for Friday's contest…
Back to the top

Notables from Coach Partridge's Monday presser…

On the Owls' Offense Against Tulsa

"Some of the things that I thought about on the plane and as I was watching my ipad, I had a chance to think of all the weapons that that game produced and that is Jay Warren, Buddy Howell, Jenson Stoshak, Kalib Woods, Tyler Cameron and Quez. That is a lot of guys that made plays. Our  o-line showed signs of being very physical. For the first time since we have been here, four out of the five had double-digit knockdowns. That hasn’t happened here. Those are good signs but to be a complete offense we have to get some things cleaned up. We will. Three hundred yards rushing excites you."

On Miami

"They have a very, very strong secondary. You can feel their experience. It is fun because I know a lot of these guys from the recruiting road from Artie Burns and Dallas Crawford from the west side, Tracy Howard from Miramar. These are kids that at some point or another I at least said hello to who went further down the recruiting trail. Very strong in the back end. We thought their “D” tackles, and they were rotating guys like you would expect, were very stout up front and very hard to get movement and very active on the edge at the defensive end spot. Obviously, what the Nickel did on special teams you respect his athleticism and speed."

On Having One Less Day of Preparation

"It won’t affect the game plan as much as it will affect the way we approach the week. I’m glad that I have the experience that I have had in the Big East because at that time we had a lot of short weeks. I was able to refer to some of the lessons that we learned at that time. We were very smart today with getting the meat and potatoes of a Tuesday. Again, I really have brainwashed myself in believing this is Tuesday. It was scaled down with the contact and we are trying to be smart that way. We gave them all the looks that they would normally get. We worked first and second downs on both sides of the ball, our coverage units both punt and kickoff and really focused on that stuff and limited the contact. It doesn’t limit your game plan because you still have five work days, you just limit what you do on the field to allow their bodies to come back."

On the Team's Demeanor for the Upcoming Contest

"There is a lot of excitement. You can really feel it across the board. Some of our young guys had to calm their spirit a bit today. That is youth and that is fun. I love that part of it in terms of their excitement. This is a game that we have had on our calendar. You can’t help it. Knowing what the history of Miami has been and to have them in Palm Beach County and knowing what this event is going to be, our kids our coaches our staff our University are excited for this opportunity."
Back to the top

Rick said

Posted On: Sep 7th 2015, 7:26 PM #348147

Crazy, my post from August 10th…

Hmmmm…tough one.

I would bet Vegas will have the line at 23.5.  I would put it at 16.5.

I dont know if I think that Kaaya kid is really that good.  We shall see…

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Well friends, this is the week we've waited a LOOONG time for. If you have the time, stop by campus some time before Friday. Feel the excitement for yourself, it is truly contagious.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Rick said

Hmmmm…tough one.

Posted On: Sep 7th 2015, 9:15 PM #348150

I know I'm a bit biased, but I think he is really that good. Last year as a freshman he looked much better than our old SR starter Stephen Morris (now playing in NFL for Eagles). Against B-CU he was great, no real mistakes at all other than overthrown balls. It seemed like he held back, plus playcalling was rather conservative. Pocket presence is tremendous for Kaaya and his WR corps is star-studded. IDK how the line should look on game-day, but from a skills perspective Kaaya (and our 3 RBs) is outstanding. I think FAU defense will be a good test for him. If he can manage a unique and exciting environment and sold-out stadium, it will be good for the rest of the year (especially prep for Florida State- bigger scale environment on game day). If not, we need to do work.
Back to the top

RobHurricane (Guest) said

walty12 said

Rick said

Hmmmm…tough one.

I know I'm a bit biased, but I think he is really that good. Last year as a freshman he looked much better than our old SR starter Stephen Morris (now playing in NFL for Eagles). Against B-CU he was great, no real mistakes at all other than overthrown balls. It seemed like he held back, plus playcalling was rather conservative. Pocket presence is tremendous for Kaaya and his WR corps is star-studded. IDK how the line should look on game-day, but from a skills perspective Kaaya (and our 3 RBs) is outstanding. I think FAU defense will be a good test for him. If he can manage a unique and exciting environment and sold-out stadium, it will be good for the rest of the year (especially prep for Florida State- bigger scale environment on game day). If not, we need to do work.
Posted On: Sep 8th 2015, 10:07 AM #348161

Fair enough, haven't watched him enough.  I watch Miami football at the same rate I watch soap operas.

I am sure your offense is talented.  We'll see if our coaches can get our defense to "shut her legs"a little bit and give him a good challenge Friday.

Back to the top

Jack David Whidden III said

Well friends, this is the week we've waited a LOOONG time for. If you have the time, stop by campus some time before Friday. Feel the excitement for yourself, it is truly contagious.
Posted On: Sep 7th 2015, 9:18 PM #348151

Yea, I just hope nothing stupid happens and win or lose we are seen in a good light.  

The FIU thing was embarrasing.

Back to the top

walty12 said

RobHurricane (Guest) said

walty12 said

Rick said

Hmmmm…tough one.

Posted On: Sep 8th 2015, 10:07 AM #348161
Fair enough, haven't watched him enough.  I watch Miami football at the same rate I watch soap operas.

I am sure your offense is talented.  We'll see if our coaches can get our defense to "shut her legs"a little bit and give him a good challenge Friday.

Posted On: Sep 8th 2015, 10:22 AM #348170

Since I follow CUSA athletics too (also an MTSU fan but UM student) I do have a good idea about FAU, and I think some fans on our side underestimate the potential in FAU. If our opponent last year had a good defense who could pass rush, that really seemed to throw Kaaya off quite a bit (maybe due to an iffy O-line, not sure). I remember being at the MTSU-FAU game last year and being very impressed with the physicality of the FAU players and how tenacious they were on defense. We (MT) were lucky to escape with the win. If you guys play like that, it'll be a good one. Like I think I've said on here before, a real test for the Miami offense. If the Miami D can avoid shooting themselves in the foot as much as they did last year, they will have a chance to prove themselves. They looked good against Bethune but then again it is bethune. If we have the D we had against Pitt and UVA last year, FAU could score 40 again. I hope we have moved past that. Also agree re: no stupidity. Fingers crossed there are no rough-ups (or injuries!!) on the field or in the stands between the two teams.
Back to the top

Any word on a red out? Are we wearing all red with red helmets? Go Owls!!! 
Back to the top
Control functions: