Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Owlcountry40 & Walty12 go head to head!

We've posted Inside the Burrow Episode V which features part of our time with long time forum members Walty12 and owlcountry40, but there was plenty more. Below is the entire segment!

Back to the top

Really enjoyed this. Thank you guys. Lots of good points from both of you.

Granted it was a little rough around the edges with talking over each other but for me personally these kind of podcasts are better when you have opposing views trying to hash it out.

Hope to hear more of this. Maybe you could do a separate "Owls Divided" podcast if they don't have you on again  :Big-Grin:

Back to the top

owl2Doc said

Really enjoyed this. Thank you guys. Lots of good points from both of you.

Granted it was a little rough around the edges with talking over each other but for me personally these kind of podcasts are better when you have opposing views trying to hash it out.

Hope to hear more of this. Maybe you could do a separate "Owls Divided" podcast if they don't have you on again  :Big-Grin:

Posted On: Sep 25th 2015, 12:21 PM #349516

Yea this whole thing kinda came about last min.
We will work in the future on how to moderate it more without preventing some the arguments from developing and letting us create good points.
Its a balance that's will only get better (unlike our football team).  
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Its a balance that's will only get better (unlike our football team).  

Posted On: Sep 25th 2015, 12:30 PM #349517

you could've ended that sentence at "better". lol I'm hopeful.
Back to the top

Walty was very consistent in his argument.

Whenever OC was challenged with his SEC West arguments, he appeared to back pedal or move the goal posts.  I also thought the analogy of our situation to UCF & Auburn was spot on.  Also, the UTEP win argument was kind of weak stating that they have struggled yet they lost to two Power 5 conference schools, that to me is very inconsistent especially when you look at it in the context of the UCF/Auburn argument.

I do believe there is merit to game management concerns, however, Charlie is a first time HC in his second year.  Is this a total failure of his?  Time will tell.  I do think he is still learning on the job.  Butch Davis was also a poor game manager, but he always collected an embarrassing amount of NFL talent at Miami & UNC.

Something I thought didn't get enough time was discussing the long term effects of terminating Charlie.  His termination this year or next year would have an enormous amount of blowback.  Things I'd like to have heard discussed:

How do current verbals stick?  Why does someone come here?  What coach would come here knowing he could get canned with only a year or two under their belt?  What happens to Chun?  

Well done and I found this entertaining and insightful.  As mentioned, being able to moderate this in a way to limit talking over one another, interrupting one another, or cutting the other off would make this much more enjoyable.
Back to the top

sigep77 said

Walty was very consistent in his argument.

Whenever OC was challenged with his SEC West arguments, he appeared to back pedal or move the goal posts.  I also thought the analogy of our situation to UCF & Auburn was spot on.  Also, the UTEP win argument was kind of weak stating that they have struggled yet they lost to two Power 5 conference schools, that to me is very inconsistent especially when you look at it in the context of the UCF/Auburn argument.

I do believe there is merit to game management concerns, however, Charlie is a first time HC in his second year.  Is this a total failure of his?  Time will tell.  I do think he is still learning on the job.  Butch Davis was also a poor game manager, but he always collected an embarrassing amount of NFL talent at Miami & UNC.

Something I thought didn't get enough time was discussing the long term effects of terminating Charlie.  His termination this year or next year would have an enormous amount of blowback.  Things I'd like to have heard discussed:

How do current verbals stick?  Why does someone come here?  What coach would come here knowing he could get canned with only a year or two under their belt?  What happens to Chun?  

Well done and I found this entertaining and insightful.  As mentioned, being able to moderate this in a way to limit talking over one another, interrupting one another, or cutting the other off would make this much more enjoyable.
Posted On: Sep 25th 2015, 1:15 PM #349519

Yes butch was a terrible game manager and that's why even with 30 NFL players he still tripped up in games and it took Larry to finish it.
Butch was also 15-17 in conference at UNC (He's isn't that good of a coach)
Like I said (and we can get into this more ) the draw backs of firing a coach is overrated for a few reasons.
You always have to decide what will cause more damage 1. Having Charlie lets say go 6-15 in his last 21 games here or fire him early.
Losing games will cause just as many kids to de-commit as firing a coach.
You want to talk about high school connections?
Well a good Florida high coach has 30 college coaches in contact with him at all times and if your the coach that's keeps selling "We are building something" yet you keep throwing up L'S they will not take seriously anyways.  
Back to the top

It's the classic nature vs nurture argument…

Will the young freshman do better as they get more experience in general on the field even without strong guidance and even without X's and O's?

OR

Will strong guidance and coaching be the key (and possibly necessary) factor in developing the young freshman into a winning team in the coming years?

Tough decision.  But in all reality as has been stated, FAU couldn't afford the financial cost of firing him.  

No clause in the contract for not knowing how to manage a football game (the one you're hired to know how to manage/coach).

Yes, Partridge was hired to bring in talent.  
But he should still know something as simple as when to go for 1 or 2 points.  

Seems like basics – I'll tell him to follow his own slogan "DO YOUR JOB"
http://www...com/articles/266/simple-fau-message-do-your-job.aspx
Back to the top

I watched the Memphis game last night. Forth year coach. Wins by year...4,3,10. If Chuck Partridge does that, no problem.
Back to the top

While I'm still listening to podcast here, I do have a question for Walty.
He mentioned a lot that we started a QB that wasnt ready to start, a red-shirt freshman. But what was our better option? Driskel's been in the system for nearly 2 years. And pulling Parr's redshirt is out of the question (at least in my opinion). Driskel is our best if not the only option last week. You can't possibly think Tyler Cameron would've been a better option, or those other walk-ons we have in the roster. Driskel looks good at QB, but needs to remain consistent. Yes, he's a pocket passer, but he shows he can move out of the pocket when he has to. He still needs some work in that area to avoid sacks/TOs. And you mentioned that Quez can pick up those 4th and short yardage needed to convert, that's true. But we have depth at RBs that can do the same w the help of our OL. All I'm saying is w Quez out, Driskel was our only option and w/ some better coaching we could've had better packages and adjust our game plan from at QB-DT to a QB-PP.

I really liked the podcast and Walty vs OC40. Great insight on both sides.
I'm wondering who's in charge of play calling? Can Charlie be in charge of recruiting and all the HC duties, and leave the play calling to Wright? I'm not sure how it works, all i know, we need some tweaking in play calling. Driskel is a pocket passer and needs to have some plays designed to fit his craft. that's all. But I'm no coach, im just a spectator. So from the outside looking in, we have way too much talent to be losing those games like that. TOs are killing us. We have enough at RBs to have injured Warren on the field. our WRs are looking good, our OL and DL are great too. our your LBs are playing good too. We still have a chance to salvage this season. LET'S GO OWLS!!! #WinToday (for real, TODAY!!!!)
Back to the top

I think what he means about Driskel is that we don't have a better option right now but our expectations can't be through the roof given the circumstances.

Back to the top
Control functions: